Sign in with
Your question

Raid Problem?

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2010 12:18:46 AM

Hi,

I have been going into the world of Raid 0 for a few months now. Last month I had a blue screen reboot, but no problem beyond that. Then a couple days later I awaken to my computer being stuck in the boot process, specifically at "Verifying DMI Pool Data...AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI....

I found that I could enter the bios, the raid setup menu etc...But get no further than that.
I, being a novice to raid, thought that the bad thunderstorms the night before must have screwed something up with the raid, so I reinstalled win7. I was surprised to see that there was a file called windows.old. I had always thought that when a raid 0 fails...all the data is lost, (except maybe using some technique or program or something).

In any case...was using win7 for a month and a half..no problems...then the exact same situation repeats itself...Hanging up right at Verifying DMI Pool Data. This time I grab an ubuntu live disk. Sure enough...all my data is still there, though I can't get it to boot no matter what I try.

Is this like a raid driver issue? Is there something I should try besides reinstalling win7? I still never managed to get the error message on the blue screen. Someone suggested that I might have a memory problem. However, when I plug in my old xp drive (which I'm on as I write), I have no problems whatsoever. I also ran memtest for quite a while when I put this rig together.

System specs.

Phenom 2 X2 Unlocked to 4 cores running at 3.4 Ghz.
GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard
4 gigs of Gskill ram, specifically F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Any advice on how to proceed to try and boot my win7 raid 0 ?

Thanks.

More about : raid problem

a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 2:41:43 AM

If you need RAID, go with RAID1 (mirroring) rather than RAID0 (striping)

This will provide more info on the different types of RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
m
l
August 15, 2010 3:58:35 AM

Err..I want speed. Raid 0. I don't want redundancy.
Did you even read my post?
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2010 4:10:24 AM

I'm not meaning to sound like a jack. I am not familiar with raid 1...(or with raid 0) really. Is raid 1 as fast as raid 0?

In any case..I don't think my raid0 failed, did it? I thought that if a failure happened..I'd not be able to get data from it at all?

I am trying to get suggestions on what to do to successfully boot, or repair whatever went wrong with my computer...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:12:38 AM

gkorjax said:
Err..I want speed. Raid 0. I don't want redundancy.
Did you even read my post?

Yes, I did read your post, and wanted to share the drawbacks of RAID0.
m
l
!