Raid Problem?

Hi,

I have been going into the world of Raid 0 for a few months now. Last month I had a blue screen reboot, but no problem beyond that. Then a couple days later I awaken to my computer being stuck in the boot process, specifically at "Verifying DMI Pool Data...AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI....

I found that I could enter the bios, the raid setup menu etc...But get no further than that.
I, being a novice to raid, thought that the bad thunderstorms the night before must have screwed something up with the raid, so I reinstalled win7. I was surprised to see that there was a file called windows.old. I had always thought that when a raid 0 fails...all the data is lost, (except maybe using some technique or program or something).

In any case...was using win7 for a month and a half..no problems...then the exact same situation repeats itself...Hanging up right at Verifying DMI Pool Data. This time I grab an ubuntu live disk. Sure enough...all my data is still there, though I can't get it to boot no matter what I try.

Is this like a raid driver issue? Is there something I should try besides reinstalling win7? I still never managed to get the error message on the blue screen. Someone suggested that I might have a memory problem. However, when I plug in my old xp drive (which I'm on as I write), I have no problems whatsoever. I also ran memtest for quite a while when I put this rig together.

System specs.

Phenom 2 X2 Unlocked to 4 cores running at 3.4 Ghz.
GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard
4 gigs of Gskill ram, specifically F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Any advice on how to proceed to try and boot my win7 raid 0 ?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about raid problem
  1. If you need RAID, go with RAID1 (mirroring) rather than RAID0 (striping)

This will provide more info on the different types of RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
  2. Err..I want speed. Raid 0. I don't want redundancy.
    Did you even read my post?
  3. I'm not meaning to sound like a jack. I am not familiar with raid 1...(or with raid 0) really. Is raid 1 as fast as raid 0?

In any case..I don't think my raid0 failed, did it? I thought that if a failure happened..I'd not be able to get data from it at all?

I am trying to get suggestions on what to do to successfully boot, or repair whatever went wrong with my computer...
  4. gkorjax said:
    Err..I want speed. Raid 0. I don't want redundancy.
    Did you even read my post?

Yes, I did read your post, and wanted to share the drawbacks of RAID0.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt NAS / RAID Blue Screen Systems