Sign in with
Your question

Missing storage

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2012 10:20:08 AM

hi everyone i recently got a new laptop with a 500 GB HDD on it. it has 2 partitions one is the local disk 421GB and the drive D is called LENOVO 29GB together they are 450 GB just asking if anyone knows what happened to the other 50GB plus my local disk is used 145GB i dont have that many files and cant figure out what is taking the extra space can someone please help me
thanx in advance

More about : missing storage

a c 85 G Storage
November 14, 2012 10:43:36 AM

A 500 GB drive only has about 465 usable space on it anyway, so you're really only missing about 15GB.

Open up disk management and look at the drive and see if there is any space not partitioned.

There also may be a recovery partition on the drive.
November 14, 2012 10:56:49 AM

ss202sl said:
A 500 GB drive only has about 465 usable space on it anyway, so you're really only missing about 15GB.

Open up disk management and look at the drive and see if there is any space not partitioned.

There also may be a recovery partition on the drive.

thanx u were right there was a hidden partition of 15 GB called Healthy dont know what its for is there anyway i can regroup it with the local drive
could you please also explain to me what is taking up the extra space on my local disk
a b G Storage
November 14, 2012 11:22:10 AM

It's probably the recovery system and such. Since most companies don't include a windows disk anymore, they include a partition on your drive to reinstall windows. Delete it or mess with it and when it comes time to reinstall windows, you can't because that partition is gone. As for the space used, we don't know whats on your harddrive. Trying running ccleaner and clean up your temp files, they could be using up space. Go through folders and right click and select properties to see the space used by that folder to figure it out. Space just doesn't go away by itself, you had to install, download, do something to use it. It's a matter of finding it.
!