Sign in with
Your question

First time build (i5 750), share your thoughts please.

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2010 12:43:48 AM

So after a few weeks of scouring the internet and asking you fine folks for suggestion on parts, I've got all the parts now except for a blu-ray drive (SO HARD TO FIND A GOOD ONE!!!!!). Would love some feedback or if there are any warnings or if there is any part you feel like would not work with my build, anything.

Mind you, I'm in California so I got screwed on Newegg w/ Tax. Realized I could've bought everything sent it to friend in NY to ship to me and saved myself at least 75 dollars on taxes, and spent about 20-30 shipping from there to here. Will keep that in mind for next time, I guess.

Prices include tax/shipping

Windows 7/ Office - Will buy the 29.95 upgrade and the 79.95 office for students

Samsung LED XL2370 (1920x1080) , 23 inches, 2 ms: LED takes a bit getting used to looking at , and definitely can't sit too close. Bought this many months ago for PS3.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Steel . 145, Could've gotten it cheaper on Amazon now for 139, oh well.

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-e PRo: got in combo for 230 dollars in a combo
Cooler: Came w/ mobo, the Tuniq Tower 120

CPU - core i5 750- 169.99
GPU- Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1 GB- heard very great reviews on this when running SC 2, which is the main game i will play, 219.99
Came out to 421 dollars or so w/ tax at Microcenter

HDD- Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint F3 for 65 dollars. WIsh I waited for the sale on 45 dollars, but it's still cheaper than usual.

PSU- XFX 750w got in a combo w/ friend and split for 30 dollars off + 20 MIR and paid 111.

Sound Card- X-Fi Bravura + Turtle Beach Ear Force Z2 Pro Gaming Headset for 161

SSD- OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 120 GB for 279.99

Ram- G Skill Ripjaws 12800 CL7D-4GBRM for 102.99

Total comes out to around 1630, was hoping to spend under 1500. Not including the blu-ray drive. Thinking of waiting for Black Friday for that.

Hopefully I have enough SATA Cables (this is first build so i don't have any spare parts lying around) and everything fits in the case. Any advice before I start setup? I heard dust was a problem w/ HAF 932, any way to avoid it? I read in a few posts that dust filters were counterproductive.
August 16, 2010 7:10:14 PM

Ok, well, does anyone at least have any advice on how to set this up? I'm a little confused on the fan placement to fight dust issues, how should I place cooling/fans in case?
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:56:01 PM

The case fans should already be set. Since you have a top vent fan you have a choice of the CPU fan pushing air from the front, through the fins and out the back or up through the fins and out the top.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 8:16:52 PM

That seems to be the single most balanced, intelligent, and overall well-chosen build I've seen on these forums.
m
l
August 16, 2010 8:22:02 PM

Looks like you posted this on the weekend, unfortunately this forum isn't as busy over the weekend, so you're less likely to get a lot of responses.

I doubt the sound card is really necessary, modern motherboards tend to have good onboard sound.

Otherwise everything looks good.

The motherboard should come with at least 3-4 SATA cables, that shouldn't be a problem.
m
l
August 17, 2010 1:56:01 AM

Thanks @sp12, like I said, most of the recommendations were from users here after researching/getting it down to 3-4 options. The only thing I had 2nd thoughts about were getting CL7D ram or CL6D ram. Figured I'm new enough that I won't notice the difference anyways, and Haf X was out of my range for the case. Ended up getting a DVDrw drive since I had a 5 dollar coupon from Amazon (apparently they send one if you subscribed to magazines via amazon) that I was able to use (since it expires next month, figured might as well get that).

@coldsleep Kind of wish I didn't buy the sound board then! Oh well. I listen to a lot of Classical music recorded in the 40s/50s and i think it'll help. Not sure about all of the hoopla behind 7.1 though, makes for an awkward setup.

@dndhatcher SOrry, I was mostly referring to the Tuniq 120, it seems like they give you a few options on how to place it? Not sure what worked best w/ the HAF 932, I'm getting this vacuum in the near future but not sure when.
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Elect...
However, I'd like to dust as infrequently as possible, just b/c I'm placing my tower in a corner that might be a bit of a hassle to take out of once it's in place.
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:44:35 AM

Well, if you're an audiophile, you might notice the difference. Most people won't. I'd give it a try without the card, see what you think, and if you like it, return the card (if you can). If you can't, no worries.
m
l
!