Sign in with
Your question

Issue with ATI 5970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2010 4:49:49 AM

Been running an NVidia GTX275 for few years with no issues. I recently won an ATI 5970 and installed it today. After I installed it, my entire system was chuggling along slowly and games were pretty choppy to the point they were unplayable. Something was obviously wrong. I tried everything from completely removing all drivers with Drive sweeper and instaalling them fresh to removing all components on the mobo and reseating everything but same thing kept happening. I also have a dual boot setup so I even tried two different windows 7 installations on seperate drives but same issue. My question is could this be related to power? Should I try an 850w PSU or better and see if that fixes the issue? If not and you have any other suggestions, please let me know as im dying to try out this card. I put that GTXC 275 back in and everything was back to normal with system and gaming performance.

My system is average, see below ( i know, not enough to really take advantage of the 5970 but hey, it was free :D  )

Thanks ahead for any advice or suggestions

Marc

Q6600
4GB ram
Antec True 750 Quattro PSU
1TB WD Black (SATA)
300GB WD (SATA)
DVD burner (SATA)
Creative XFi Platinum
Windows 7 32bit
Hades NZXT mid tower case
HP 27" LCD (1920X1080)

More about : issue ati 5970

a c 153 U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 5:14:21 AM

That honestly sounds like a driver problem to me. I've never been a fan of ATI's drivers but I would suggust you delete all the drivers from Add/Remove Programs, then use drive sweeper. Then plug in the new GPU, and THEN download the latest ATI drivers from their website.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...
m
l
a c 1406 U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 2:01:33 PM

Did you remove the Physx driver and controls as well?
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2010 1:24:18 AM

Helltech said:
That honestly sounds like a driver problem to me. I've never been a fan of ATI's drivers but I would suggust you delete all the drivers from Add/Remove Programs, then use drive sweeper. Then plug in the new GPU, and THEN download the latest ATI drivers from their website.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/...

I actually installed a fresh copy if Win7 today (dual booting). once it finished I immediately installed the latest ATI drivers and sound card driver then loaded Farcry2 and UT2004 (ancient game). Both games crawled using the same settings as the GX 275. I even lowered the resolutions and image quality settings and got the same bad performance in frame rates. unless I have a bad card(unIikely) I give up for now and will jsut keep runnging my GTX 275 for the time being. I'm going to loan the card to my friend who is currently runnign a 5870 and make sure there is nothing wrong with the card. If he has no issues then I will just leave the card out until I build a new machine next month and circle back.

m
l
July 11, 2010 2:18:06 AM

Update -

I removed Catalyst 10.6 and installed Catalyst 10.5 and all issues resolved. FarCry 2 and UT2004 maxed out playging flawlessly as they should. Im giogn to boot into my main W7 install now and do the same and see how the rest of my games go.
m
l
July 11, 2010 3:41:49 AM

Problem solved. Catalyst 10.5 did the trick and everything is smoking fast at max settings (including Metro 2033 at 1920x1080 with everything cranked up).

Anyone else have issues with 10.6? I didn't see any bad reports on it at all.
m
l
!