Asus M4A785TD-V EVO U3S6, memory problem

jl88

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hi, first time poster here, I tried looking around for a solution to my problem and have yet to find anything, so I'm hoping maybe someone here may have an answer of had a similar situation.

I recently purchased an asus M4A785TD-V EVO U3S6 for my new build, along with some corsair vengeance 1600mhz (2x4gigs). Upon placing the ram into the motherboard and booting, I was unable to even get to POST. Thinking this might be a problem related to the ram, I checked to see if it would work with one of my roommate's corsair 2gigs 1333mhz (stick of 2gigs), at which point I was able to get it to POST and boot no problem.

Thinking the problem may just be with some defective ram, I went to buy new one (kingston 2x4gigs 1333mhz - just to be safe, as I learned that my now old shop doesn't retake memory once sold). Upon returning home, same problem! Unable to get to POST. Upon further testing I found that I'm unable to get any stick of 4gigs of ram to work on this mobo, even if it's supposed to be able to support up to 16gigs. After checking with their QVL and asus tech support, I saw that they didn't have a single stick of 4gigs on their QVL (even though the board is supposed to be able to handle them).

My question to you is this: has anyone ever came across this problem? If yes is there anyway to fix it? I've tried manually setting the BIOS to the ram's specs and even that didn't help, so unless I missed something I'm really at a loss here.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
If this board is dual channel did you try slot 1 and slot 3 which is a dual channel set up. slot 2 and 4 would be the next dual channel. Be sure to use a matched set in each channel. Set your bios to automatically configure the memory.

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

On many AMD MOBO this isn't that uncommon with 4GB density RAM, so typically I'd start out and update your BIOS 2105. To boot try 1 stick of RAM in either A2 or A1 {closest DIMM slot to CPU Black or Blue}; otherwise borrow your roommate's RAM to do this procedure.

Q - The Vengence is 1.50v and I assume the the Kingston is the same?
Tested Kingston 2x4GB:
KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G ECC
KVR1333D3N9K2/8G {best for 1333 MHz}
KHX1600C9D3K2/8G

BIOS Update:
ASUS EZ Flash 2 method {safest}; The USB Flash drive must be formatted in FAT-32.
Link -> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5B+Deluxe
Video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKQj_aASCQ