Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Incorrect function on DVD/CD DRIVES

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2012 12:43:41 PM

PLEASE!

If anyone knows the answer to this problem let me know.

I have several posts here and no replies to them.

I have reloaded windows xp pro sp3 and both my drives work fine on other computers using the same cables, same drivers, windows xp pro sp3, and same media.

On this computer when I put dvd media into the drive and attempt to open that media I receive a error of "Incorrect Function."

I have read many entries on several forums and I cannot find a "definitive" answer to this problem.

Does anyone have a clue? What about all you "EXPERTS" out there?

Maybe if you don't have an answer you should remove the "EXPERT" rating from yourself?

Sorry for that, I am just an old (68) frustrated computer user trying to find an answer to my problem on this machine.

More about : incorrect function dvd drives

a c 191 G Storage
November 14, 2012 2:02:30 PM

There are a couples of reason to cause the problem.
1) Dirty DVD Drive, 2) Cheap DVDs, 3) DVD burning/reading Speed.

But you said the cd/dvd driver works fine on other computer, so I will ask what cd/dvd recording program is on both computer? Are they same or not?

If no, that is the problem--reading/burning speed. If yes, that maybe something else.

Also even we can't answer your question, because we can't see the real computer and just based on your description and yes sometime we can't solve the problem, but remember we are human.

Can you say she/he is not a doctor if you go to see the doctor but they don't give good treatment what you want?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
November 14, 2012 3:04:09 PM

fats-prod said:
Does anyone have a clue? What about all you "EXPERTS" out there?

Maybe if you don't have an answer you should remove the "EXPERT" rating from yourself?

I was going to help you, but then I decided not to. I spend a lot of time on here helping people, and I do it because I want to. I'm not paid, nobody asked me to. This cuts into my free time.

If you're not going to appreciate the service the people of this forum provide, and attack people for not helping you, then I think you should go someplace else for help. I know you're frustrated, but attacking those you're asking for help won't get you the help you need.

And for my "no effort answer" I'm going to guess your DVD drive is dead. Go buy a new one and figure out how to install it, because I won't be helping any further.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 14, 2012 4:07:40 PM

cin19 said:
There are a couples of reason to cause the problem.
1) Dirty DVD Drive, 2) Cheap DVDs, 3) DVD burning/reading Speed.

But you said the cd/dvd driver works fine on other computer, so I will ask what cd/dvd recording program is on both computer? Are they same or not?

If no, that is the problem--reading/burning speed. If yes, that maybe something else.

Also even we can't answer your question, because we can't see the real computer and just based on your description and yes sometime we can't solve the problem, but remember we are human.

Can you say she/he is not a doctor if you go to see the doctor but they don't give good treatment what you want?


I am using the very same software on both machines. Or rather I was until I reloaded XP-pro sp3 and now I am only using windows programs on the drives.

Like I said, Sorry for the sarcasm.
m
0
l
November 14, 2012 4:16:45 PM

willard said:
I was going to help you, but then I decided not to. I spend a lot of time on here helping people, and I do it because I want to. I'm not paid, nobody asked me to. This cuts into my free time.

If you're not going to appreciate the service the people of this forum provide, and attack people for not helping you, then I think you should go someplace else for help. I know you're frustrated, but attacking those you're asking for help won't get you the help you need.

And for my "no effort answer" I'm going to guess your DVD drive is dead. Go buy a new one and figure out how to install it, because I won't be helping any further.



Willard

I did apologize for the sarcasm.

Please note: I put the drives on another computer and they work fine there. Using the same media, drivers (MS), cables, win xp-pro sp3. EVERYTHING the very same. Hard drives work fine on the ide ports and the usb ports on the system where the dvd drives get the "incorrect function" error.

I know that this is a tough problem, I have been working on it for weeks now. You may if you are interested search my previous submissions here. I have what I thought were very detailed information on this problem, still I guess not.

I repeat, I am sorry if my sarcastic remark ticked you off.
But it did get a couple of responses even if you both were unable to help me.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 4:02:59 PM

cin19 said:
There are a couples of reason to cause the problem.
1) Dirty DVD Drive, 2) Cheap DVDs, 3) DVD burning/reading Speed.

But you said the cd/dvd driver works fine on other computer, so I will ask what cd/dvd recording program is on both computer? Are they same or not?

If no, that is the problem--reading/burning speed. If yes, that maybe something else.

Also even we can't answer your question, because we can't see the real computer and just based on your description and yes sometime we can't solve the problem, but remember we are human.

Can you say she/he is not a doctor if you go to see the doctor but they don't give good treatment what you want?


NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE!

*******************************************

I HAVE THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!

*******************************************

First you must reinstall windows xp pro and sp3.

When you do, you must not repeat "DO NOT" install it back
into the folder named "WINDOWS" if you do it still will
not work correctly.

Choose a new folder name like "WINXPPRO" or what
ever you like.

Install windows xp into that folder and update xp-pro sp3
and all updates available to you via microsoft.

If you have two or more "DVD/CD -ROM DRIVES" as I do
only one of them can be set to "RECORD" at any one time.

Only put one blank media disk into "one" of the drives,
say DRIVE D, that drive may then be set to record by going
through "properties" on drive D. To switch to drive E, for
writing, simply remove the blank media from drive D and
close drive D, then insert the blank media into drive E.
Now by going through "properties" on drive E, you can
set it to record.

**********************************************

AM I NOW AN "EXPERT?"

**********************************************
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 4:27:52 PM

willard said:
I was going to help you, but then I decided not to. I spend a lot of time on here helping people, and I do it because I want to. I'm not paid, nobody asked me to. This cuts into my free time.

If you're not going to appreciate the service the people of this forum provide, and attack people for not helping you, then I think you should go someplace else for help. I know you're frustrated, but attacking those you're asking for help won't get you the help you need.

And for my "no effort answer" I'm going to guess your DVD drive is dead. Go buy a new one and figure out how to install it, because I won't be helping any further.


NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE! NOTICE!

*******************************************

I HAVE THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!

*******************************************

First you must reinstall windows xp pro and sp3.

When you do, you must not repeat "DO NOT" install it back
into the folder named "WINDOWS" if you do it still will
not work correctly.

Choose a new folder name like "WINXPPRO" or what
ever you like.

Install windows xp into that folder and update xp-pro sp3
and all updates available to you via microsoft.

If you have two or more "DVD/CD -ROM DRIVES" as I do
only one of them can be set to "RECORD" at any one time.

Only put one blank media disk into "one" of the drives,
say DRIVE D, that drive may then be set to record by going
through "properties" on drive D. To switch to drive E, for
writing, simply remove the blank media from drive D and
close drive D, then insert the blank media into drive E.
Now by going through "properties" on drive E, you can
set it to record.

**********************************************

AM I NOW AN "EXPERT?"

**********************************************
m
0
l