Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best AMD CPU for 3D Rendering on a budget?

Last response: in CPUs
October 27, 2010 5:45:46 PM

Best AMD CPU for 3D Rendering on a budget of around $100 - $150 for cpu. I realize that the mobo plays a significant role. Also need an NVIDIA card for rendering. So here's the limitations:

Rendering sw = Gemvision
AMD CPU - approx. $100 - $150
mobo - < $100 with NVIDIA built-in or not
NVIDIA card - < $200

Best solution

a c 81 à CPUs
October 27, 2010 8:52:32 PM

For a combined budget of <450$, the best matching would be -

CPU - Phenom II X6 1055T

Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54

Video Card - Nvidia GT 240 1GB
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 11:37:33 PM

^+1 on the X6. This will benefit a lot esp. if using programs like 3DS or Maya and the program you use (GemVision) is multi-threaded.

For the motherboard, I personally keep away from MSI so I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GA-890XA-UD3 790X ~$105 after MIR

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 $80

Get the ASUS if you plan to only run a single GPU (for rendering, a single GPU will do) and if you are on a tight budget. A GTS240/210,etc will work fine. If you don't mind modding, you can get a old 8800GTS and softmodd it in to a Quadro.

Note: I'm recommending the X6 assuming the software is properly multithreaded. If it is not, get a high clocked X4.
Score
Related resources
November 1, 2010 7:59:23 AM

Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54
Pardon me, but isn't that board optimized for ATI graphics cards for use in tandem, or Crossfire configuration? I think a chip set that revolves around Nvidia technology would be preferable, especially if I decided to go with an additional Nvidia card in SLI. I don't doubt that it is a great board, but built more around ocing than not, and when you're on a tight budget, that's a luxury. I've seen boards with sufficient capabilities for roughly half as much, and the extra cash could go into getting a better graphics card. I will be doing a lot of graphics.
Score
a c 81 à CPUs
November 1, 2010 8:44:27 AM

Multi GPU setup (Crossfire/SLI) does not plays any role while rendering.. That is still a CPU heavy task (that's the reason of an X6 recommendation).. And the MSI board i suggested is no great board.. It is just fit for the purpose and has an excellent value attached to it..
Score
November 1, 2010 5:02:04 PM

I was a bit curious about this. Since it is cpu intensive, isn't it optimized for the processor if I get a mobo with an AMD chipset and AMD processor? Do you think there is any reduction in the performance of a Nvidia graphics card if the chipset has an ATI graphics chip built in, even though the built-in graphics is turned off?
Score
a c 81 à CPUs
November 1, 2010 6:03:36 PM

ddrambo said:
I was a bit curious about this. Since it is cpu intensive, isn't it optimized for the processor if I get a mobo with an AMD chipset and AMD processor? Do you think there is any reduction in the performance of a Nvidia graphics card if the chipset has an ATI graphics chip built in, even though the built-in graphics is turned off?

You are mostly talking in gaming terms.. Even in that case, i don't think an AMD chipset will limit any video card (Nvidia or ATI) on a single video card setup.. Further, the 870 chipset boards do not feature any onboard video chipset..
Score
November 1, 2010 11:50:45 PM

I was wondering what you thought of the Nvidia GTX 460?
Score
a c 81 à CPUs
November 2, 2010 1:06:03 AM

ddrambo said:
I was wondering what you thought of the Nvidia GTX 460?

Good card.. Better gaming performance compared to the GT240.. Also has more CUDA cords.. So if your application can make use of it then surely its worth consideration.. Although it'll stress up your budget figures.. If you are having no intention of running games and/or CUDA supported apps then consider this workstation offering from ATI/AMD -

Score
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2010 1:34:13 AM

^ Imo, would keep away from ATI workstation cards. Yes, they are good, but the drivers $uck. Better than the gaming drivers but they still $uck.
Score
November 2, 2010 1:38:57 AM

Best answer selected by ddrambo.
Score
November 2, 2010 1:40:11 AM

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. I'm going to post another question later that I'm sure you'll want to add your nickel (2 cents with inflation).
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 2, 2010 3:06:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!