Nikon D70 newbie can't use screen

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 28, 2004 8:36:18 AM

Hi.

I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
any help.

Will.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:47:54 AM

will.swain@msipackager.com (Will) writes:
> I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
> cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
> my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> any help.

No, and no other digital SLR can do that either. That is inherent in
how SLR viewing works. You can't view on the screen because the
sensor isn't exposed to the image until you press the shutter release
and the mirror flips out of the way. The one exception is the Olympus
E10/E20 which has a half reflex mirror so it's not like a normal SLR.
You lose half a stop or so of light that way.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:49:50 AM

Will wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital
SLR
> cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error
on
> my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> any help.

dSLRs cannot give you a preview of the shot on the LCD before you the
take the pic. The path of the CCD/CMOS sensor on a dSLR is blocked by
the shutter and the mirror until you press the shutter release so the
sensor does not see anything until you press the shutter release and so
you can never get a pre-shot preview.

So to answer your question, No, there is no way on a dSLR to get a
*live* feed before taking the shot. Too bad if you bought a wonderful
camera like the D70 under that impression.

- Siddhartha
December 28, 2004 11:33:06 AM

M Leung wrote:
> You cannot preview through LCD on Nikon D70 and most DSLR. To my
>understanding, Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro will be the first LCD
previewing DSLR >(greyscale only). Cheers,

---snip from dpreview-----
No other digital SLR has ever been able to provide a live view on the
LCD monitor, until now. The S3 Pro has a unique (if slightly pointless)
feature. You can switch to a 'Live Image' mode which provides a
video-like B&W live view feed direct from the sensor to the LCD monitor
(just like a consumer digital camera). In this mode you can also
magnify the center portion of the frame. The important limitations
however are:
(a) its for display only, you can not trigger the shutter release in
this mode, (b) the viewfinder is blacked out because the mirror must
swing up and shutter open,
(c) the display is in black and white,
(d) the display can only be provided for a maximum of 30 seconds.

All in all this mode seems to be more of a technology stunt than a
useful feature.
-----snip-----------------

I would gladly buy this camera without the crippled pre-shot preview if
Fuji sold it for $1000 lesser for the removal of *feature*!! ;-)

What I am wondering is that if to provide this feature they are holding
the mirror up and hooking the main CCD sensors to the LCD then why not
a colour preview?

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:51:06 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> What I am wondering is that if to provide this feature they are holding
> the mirror up and hooking the main CCD sensors to the LCD then why not
> a colour preview?

I don't understand why they can't put a video tap into the viewfinder
path, as is commonly done in professional movie cameras. Or have a
small CCD camera that replaces the prism head or attaches to the
eyepiece.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:10:38 PM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > What I am wondering is that if to provide this feature they are
holding
> > the mirror up and hooking the main CCD sensors to the LCD then why
not
> > a colour preview?
>
> I don't understand why they can't put a video tap into the viewfinder
> path, as is commonly done in professional movie cameras. Or have a
> small CCD camera that replaces the prism head or attaches to the
> eyepiece.

I am not a camera geek but here's my guess:
- One way to do is to introduce a split, one path of light feeds an
auxilary CCD and the other feeds an optical viewfinder. The downside is
that both will be half as bright as what the lens sees - something pros
won't appreciate. Someone buying a SLR is looking for the brightest
possible image in the viewfinder.

- Second way to do is to replace the optical mechanism totally and
introduce another CCD in its place. But no LCD can be as fast and
bright as the optical equivalent.

Above all this, there really is no demand for it, IMHO. Pros or rather,
the kind of crowd buying dSLRs isn't interested in preshot LCD preview.
Some would even consider such a camera to be *lowly* and might backfire
as a marketing gimmick.

I, personally, used the eyepiece LCD even with the P&S I had because:
- it helps conserve battery
- Makes it easier to stabilise the camera for zoom shots.
- Is still more usable than the LCD in bright back-lit (camera, not
subject) situations - something you always prefer as it lights the
subject well.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:11:55 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Above all this, there really is no demand for it, IMHO. Pros or rather,
> the kind of crowd buying dSLRs isn't interested in preshot LCD preview.

For me the issue is remote operation, not especially trying to preview
with the lcd on the back of the camera.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:28:37 PM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > Above all this, there really is no demand for it, IMHO. Pros or
rather,
> > the kind of crowd buying dSLRs isn't interested in preshot LCD
preview.

> For me the issue is remote operation, not especially trying to
preview
> with the lcd on the back of the camera.

Remote operation? Eh, whats that?

One thing I would definitely appreciate in P&S cameras is the ability
to plugin to a monitor or a PC to get live preview on a much bigger
screen. I think it would be sooooooo much more useful for
astrophotography.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:52:42 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Remote operation? Eh, whats that?

What you describe below. The camera is mounted someplace and you can
see through what's in the viewfinder through a video link.

> One thing I would definitely appreciate in P&S cameras is the ability
> to plugin to a monitor or a PC to get live preview on a much bigger
> screen. I think it would be sooooooo much more useful for
> astrophotography.

A lot of them can already do that.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:07:01 PM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> > One thing I would definitely appreciate in P&S cameras is the
ability
> > to plugin to a monitor or a PC to get live preview on a much bigger
> > screen. I think it would be sooooooo much more useful for
> > astrophotography.
>
> A lot of them can already do that.
Live preshot preview to a PC/TV? Can you give some examples?
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:21:35 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > A lot of them can already do that.
> Live preshot preview to a PC/TV? Can you give some examples?

Most p/s digicams have video out, and I'm of the impression that the
TV just shows whatever the camera's LCD shows. Maybe I'm wrong.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:02:05 PM

My Canon Powershot S500 - Digital Elph can preview photos through a TV.
It came with a proper cable to do this.

BobBoudreau
Canada
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:37:29 PM

will.swain@msipackager.com (Will) writes:

> I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
> cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
> my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> any help.

No.

No digital SLR provides LCD preview. They can't. There's a mirror
and a shutter in the way, plus the CCD isn't designed to do real-time
video readout (and that's part of why it produces *better* still
pictures).
December 28, 2004 4:45:04 PM

"Will" <will.swain@msipackager.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
> cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
> my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> any help.

I bet you haven't used other digital SLR cameras with a preview.

There is a funky thing called a shutter in the way.

John Mares
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:47:49 PM

On 28 Dec 2004 10:07:01 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Siddhartha Jain"
<losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Paul Rubin wrote:
>> > One thing I would definitely appreciate in P&S cameras is the
>ability
>> > to plugin to a monitor or a PC to get live preview on a much bigger
>> > screen. I think it would be sooooooo much more useful for
>> > astrophotography.
>>
>> A lot of them can already do that.

>Live preshot preview to a PC/TV? Can you give some examples?

FWIW, my Nikon 990 and 5700.
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:39:26 PM

So to answer your question, No, there is no way on a dSLR to get a
*live* feed before taking the shot. Too bad if you bought a wonderful
camera like the D70 under that impression.>>>

I was a little surprised when I learned that DSLRs have no preview, but my pics
are better for using the D70 properly held anyway. I don't miss it at all and I
have a little Pentax Optio S5I for such casual shooting....though you can get
steadier shots using the finder even on that camera.

RB
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:24:06 PM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > My Canon Powershot S500 - Digital Elph can preview photos through a TV.
> > It came with a proper cable to do this.
>
> Thanks for the info. Thats interesting. I see PSRemote also supports
> almost all Canon P&S cameras. So looks like its not a camera
> electronics limitation but just a software issue on the PC side. And
> that means manufacturers have been shipping crippled software!!!

We're talking about an analog video output that you plug into a TV,
not a computer output. You'd need a video capture card to display the
preview on a computer.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:44:01 AM

Did you come from the future and work your way back ???

DSLR never had the ability to do a live preview of your to be shot ... Only
Contax N Digital [with adapter] , S3 Pro [soon] that is able to do that.
Even Olympus E-10 and 20 [DSLR by spec] can't do that IIRC

=bob=

"Will" <will.swain@msipackager.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
> cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
> my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> any help.
>
> Will.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:12:22 AM

"John Mares" <john@psdsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Will" <will.swain@msipackager.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have just been given a Nikon D70. When I have used other digital SLR
> > cameras I have been able to take a picture using the screen. When
> > using the D70 the screen does not seem to work (probably user error on
> > my part) until after the shot has been taken. Is there a way to turn
> > the screen on to view live feed before taking the picture? Thanks for
> > any help.
>
> I bet you haven't used other digital SLR cameras with a preview.
>
> There is a funky thing called a shutter in the way.
>
> John Mares

It is not just the shutter. The large CCDs/MOS sensors used in
interchangable lens SLRs don't support video. They are designed for making
still photos. To have video would mean more electronics at each photosite,
meaning smaller sensor area. This could mean more noise at higher iso
settings.
bg
!