Sign in with
Your question

Software RAID0 or 1?

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2012 6:58:21 PM

I'm building my own PC this week and was wondering what would be best for my needs?

I have 1 x 256GB Samsung 840 SSD for games / photoshop etc. and will use my 2 x 500GB WD Black for word docs etc. so would it better to have Software RAID1 then RAID0 to secure files? Obviously I do have 3 level back up (HDD RAID, External HDD & USB Stick)

Thanks a lot!

More about : software raid0

a b G Storage
November 14, 2012 7:37:16 PM

Don't software raid anything ever. Use the built in raid on the mobo at the very least. You cannot combine 2 raid levels on just 2 drives to to a 10 you need 4 drives you would basicly be mirroring 2 raid 0 sets of drives.. Your options are a raid 1 or a raid 0. Raid 0 will be much faster raid 1 will be half the size or just 500 gigs to use but you will have a backup image... Neither is better for storage if it is backed up... Pick if you want speed or redundancy..

Thent
November 14, 2012 7:43:19 PM

thently said:
Don't software raid anything ever. Use the built in raid on the mobo at the very least. You cannot combine 2 raid levels on just 2 drives to to a 10 you need 4 drives you would basicly be mirroring 2 raid 0 sets of drives.. Your options are a raid 1 or a raid 0. Raid 0 will be much faster raid 1 will be half the size or just 500 gigs to use but you will have a backup image... Neither is better for storage if it is backed up... Pick if you want speed or redundancy..

Thent

Can you recommend a RAID card that will work with Z77 AsRock Extreme6?
I would prefer RAID1 with 500GB usable as I probably won't even use that and speed won't matter as long as it's over 50mb/s (won't probably even need that for docs etc.)
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 14, 2012 11:49:44 PM

thently said:
Don't software raid anything ever. Use the built in raid on the mobo at the very least.
Thent

This is bad advise. Software RAID has come a long way over the years. Most consumer motherboard (if not all) runs fake RAID, which uses software driver and the system CPU to do all the RAID work. This is the same as what software RAID does. By eliminating the proprietary code in the fake RAID's SAS/SATA controller, software RAID can sometimes run circles around consumer motherboard fake RAID. You do not need a RAID card for your simple requirements.

Whether you choose software or hardware RAID, you will need 4 drives to get RAID10. Your single ssd should be fine for game/photoshop and the two 500GB will be fine in RAID1. You may notice a tad bit of slowness when saving large files to the RAID1 array because data is mirrored across both disk (written twice). However, reading back data should be faster than a single disk, if your motherboard sata controller support reading from multiple disk at the same time.
a b G Storage
November 26, 2012 8:47:35 PM

I would highly disagree with software raid being better than onboard even of the "fake" ones. and yes I know it does this but at least you can boot from this raid. Software raid does not show up till in an os.. you cannot run repair tools on it outside of OS that I am aware of just seems like a bad idea to me. And notice I said at the least I would not reccomend this but it is an easy and free way to try it out.

Thent
!