Slow UT minimize with Radeon cards, too?

I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?

Robert

Meltdown

Robert Mischke enlightened us with:
> I notice that minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes
> over 40 seconds.

Known problem. Switch to OpenGL.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:15:12 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
wrote:

>I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
>Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
>minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
>Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
>know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
>

>Robert

Your's is only the second or third case I've heard about, but the
problem does also appear to exist for ATI cards as well. The only fix
available is OGL, which actually runs a bit better and looks a bit
nicer then D3D. You can find a really nice renderer here:
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Robert Mischke schrieb:
> I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
> Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
> minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
> Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
> know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
>

> Robert
and what is with nvidia cards (geforce 4 mx 440)

"TaTonka" <simonszu@gmx.de> schreef in bericht
> Robert Mischke schrieb:
> > I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
> > Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
> > minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
> > Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
> > know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
> >

> > Robert
> and what is with nvidia cards (geforce 4 mx 440)

Exactly: switch to a decent video card and use an nvidia card,

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
| On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:15:12 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
| wrote:
|
| >I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
| >Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice
that
| >minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
| >Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does
anyone
| >know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
| >

| >Robert
|
| Your's is only the second or third case I've heard about, but the
| problem does also appear to exist for ATI cards as well. The only
fix
| available is OGL, which actually runs a bit better and looks a bit
| nicer then D3D. You can find a really nice renderer here:
| http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Turns out if your ATI video card has 64Meg or more of memory, UT under
Windows has some awful bug with exiting and releasing allocated memory
or minimizing if using D3D. I think the "exit program" problem may be
unique to Win2k, though I can't be certain. You can disable AGP
texturing for D3D to slightly improve the delays (insufficient
improvement though, imho). Also, close any UT browser windows before
minimizing and the delay is slightly less. My Radeon 32 meg DDR did
not have this problem, but my 8500 and 9800 Pro both have the problem,
it takes forever to minimize or "windowize" UT with D3D. I use opengl
because of this problem, but frankly, I think the colorization of D3D
looks nicer. I was unaware that nvidia video cards also exhibit this
problem.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:20:58 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>| On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:15:12 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
>| wrote:
>|
>| >I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
>| >Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice
>that
>| >minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
>| >Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does
>anyone
>| >know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
>| >

>| >Robert
>|
>| Your's is only the second or third case I've heard about, but the
>| problem does also appear to exist for ATI cards as well. The only
>fix
>| available is OGL, which actually runs a bit better and looks a bit
>| nicer then D3D. You can find a really nice renderer here:
>| http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
>|

>Turns out if your ATI video card has 64Meg or more of memory, UT under
>Windows has some awful bug with exiting and releasing allocated memory
>or minimizing if using D3D. I think the "exit program" problem may be
>unique to Win2k, though I can't be certain. You can disable AGP
>texturing for D3D to slightly improve the delays (insufficient
>improvement though, imho). Also, close any UT browser windows before
>minimizing and the delay is slightly less. My Radeon 32 meg DDR did
>not have this problem, but my 8500 and 9800 Pro both have the problem,
>it takes forever to minimize or "windowize" UT with D3D. I use opengl
>because of this problem, but frankly, I think the colorization of D3D
>looks nicer. I was unaware that nvidia video cards also exhibit this
>problem.

I have absolutely NO problems with UT (or any other game, for that
matter) running an ATI 9700 All-in-Wonder with 128mb ddr memory.
Unlike other graphics card manufacturers, ATI actually releases new
drivers about every month to 6 weeks, covering issues reported to them
by users. I find them to be about the most "customer oriented"
graphics card maker going. Its why I use ATI cards/chipsets in all my
computers, and recommend them to others.

YMMV

"Darmok" <cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
| On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:20:58 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
|
| >"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
| >| On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:15:12 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert
Mischke)
| >| wrote:
| >|
| >that
| >anyone

| >|
| >| Your's is only the second or third case I've heard about, but the
| >| problem does also appear to exist for ATI cards as well. The
only
| >fix
| >| available is OGL, which actually runs a bit better and looks a
bit
| >| nicer then D3D. You can find a really nice renderer here:
| >| http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
| >|

| >Turns out if your ATI video card has 64Meg or more of memory, UT
under
| >Windows has some awful bug with exiting and releasing allocated
memory
| >or minimizing if using D3D. I think the "exit program" problem may
be
| >unique to Win2k, though I can't be certain. You can disable AGP
| >texturing for D3D to slightly improve the delays (insufficient
| >improvement though, imho). Also, close any UT browser windows
before
| >minimizing and the delay is slightly less. My Radeon 32 meg DDR
did
| >not have this problem, but my 8500 and 9800 Pro both have the
problem,
| >it takes forever to minimize or "windowize" UT with D3D. I use
opengl
| >because of this problem, but frankly, I think the colorization of
D3D
| >looks nicer. I was unaware that nvidia video cards also exhibit
this
| >problem.
|

| I have absolutely NO problems with UT (or any other game, for that
| matter) running an ATI 9700 All-in-Wonder with 128mb ddr memory.
| Unlike other graphics card manufacturers, ATI actually releases new
| drivers about every month to 6 weeks, covering issues reported to
them
| by users. I find them to be about the most "customer oriented"
| graphics card maker going. Its why I use ATI cards/chipsets in all
my
| computers, and recommend them to others.

It's not a problem with the driver, it's a bug in UT and how it
allocates/deallocates system memory. When I exit UT, my system will
continue to play the UT background music for 30 seconds or so, and
watching the task in Task Manager, I can see the memory usage of UT
(though no longer visible, but still loaded in memory) is dropping
slowly from 60Meg or more until somewhere around 40-55Meg level is
reached, then UT finally ends and the music ceases. I've lowered the
sound buffer size of win2k and that has no affect on this problem.

No one suggested it was a driver problem. In fact, the same version
ATI driver works fine with my Radeon 32 meg ddr, yet exhibits the
above symptoms on the 8500 and 9800 cards. What OS do you use?

The problem does not affect gameplay or UT functionality, it is a
problem with extreme delays in performing certain "windowing"
operations. Finally, fwiw, every ATI driver I've used with my ATI
cards performs the same with respect to this inordinate delay, thus I
don't suspect the drivers. I think the one nvidia card I have
(tnt2u/32meg) also is slow to minimize under win98se, but not near as
slow as my ATI cards with more onboard vid memory.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:53:35 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>It's not a problem with the driver, it's a bug in UT and how it
>allocates/deallocates system memory. When I exit UT, my system will
>continue to play the UT background music for 30 seconds or so, and
>watching the task in Task Manager, I can see the memory usage of UT
>(though no longer visible, but still loaded in memory) is dropping
>slowly from 60Meg or more until somewhere around 40-55Meg level is
>reached, then UT finally ends and the music ceases. I've lowered the
>sound buffer size of win2k and that has no affect on this problem.
>
>No one suggested it was a driver problem. In fact, the same version
>ATI driver works fine with my Radeon 32 meg ddr, yet exhibits the
>above symptoms on the 8500 and 9800 cards. What OS do you use?

I'm running XP Pro on all 3 computers here. All have ATI cards.
I've noted that problem (sound continuing) on rare occasions. When it
happens, I just open the task manager and "end task". I don't think
I've notice this 'bug' on UT2K4, only the original UT.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Robert Mischke wrote:
> I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
> Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
> minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
> Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
> know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?

I think it's specifically a UT+DirectX problem. OpenGl fixes it on
Radeons as well as Nvidia I think.

--
Flash

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:14:28 +0000, Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote:

>Robert Mischke wrote:
>> I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the latest
>> Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice that
>> minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40 seconds.
>> Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does anyone
>> know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
>
>I think it's specifically a UT+DirectX problem. OpenGl fixes it on
>Radeons as well as Nvidia I think.

Where exactly do you "tell" UT to use OpenGL instead of DirectX? I've
never seen that on any of the option screens.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded. Some "real life" stuff
kept me busy for the last days, so I couldn't respond.

I tried switching to OpenGL, and it fixed the delay problem. However,
OpenGL (with the latest UT drivers) gave me some weird
brightness/contrast problems, like starting the game very dark, then
giving it a big brightness boost once i minimize and maximize again.
On other occassions, those settings just acted in strange,
irreproducible (sp?) ways.

End of the story? It seems there were some other problems with this
card, too (probably a hardware defect) that produced errors with
high-level shader functions (directx 8/9) so I decided to send it back
to the vendor for good.

Thanks for your help, though.

Robert

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:26:28 GMT, rm888@yahoo.com (Robert Mischke)
wrote:
>OpenGL (with the latest UT drivers) gave me some weird
>brightness/contrast problems, like starting the game very dark, then
>giving it a big brightness boost once i minimize and maximize again.
>On other occassions, those settings just acted in strange,
>irreproducible (sp?) ways.

That's because you need a better OGL renderer. Try this one:
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Just replace your current OpenGLDrv.dll with this one. Simple as
that.

If U talk about UT2004 I can advce U 2 edit the System/UT2004.ini

"
[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice
"
Replace into
"

| On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:14:28 +0000, Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org>
wrote:

| >Robert Mischke wrote:
| >> I just got my Sapphire Radeon 9600XT. Installed DX9b and the
latest
| >> Ati drivers, fired up UT, everything's fine... but then I notice
that
| >> minimizing the UT window is awfully slow, it takes over 40
seconds.
| >> Until now, I thought it was a known nvidia driver problem. Does
anyone
| >> know a fix or workaround for Radeon cards?
| >
| >I think it's specifically a UT+DirectX problem. OpenGl fixes it on
| >Radeons as well as Nvidia I think.
|
| Where exactly do you "tell" UT to use OpenGL instead of DirectX?
I've
| never seen that on any of the option screens.

In the video options screen/tab there is a button to change video
renderer, once clicked, UT will restart in "safe mode" and you can
select another video renderer at that time.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:04:30 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Darmok" <cooncatspam@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>| On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:14:28 +0000, Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org>
>wrote:

>latest
>that
>seconds.
>anyone
>| >
>| >I think it's specifically a UT+DirectX problem. OpenGl fixes it on
>| >Radeons as well as Nvidia I think.
>|
>| Where exactly do you "tell" UT to use OpenGL instead of DirectX?
>I've
>| never seen that on any of the option screens.
>
>In the video options screen/tab there is a button to change video
>renderer, once clicked, UT will restart in "safe mode" and you can
>select another video renderer at that time.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS