Sign in with
Your question

Building First PC What Do You Think?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 12:14:05 PM

This is going to be the first PC I build and I need to know if I am making the right choices on some of the components I am thinking about buying. All prices out this system will cost me around 1500 or so, I was thinking of going the AMD/ATI route but in the end I decided that I just have more faith in Intel/nvidia products. Nevertheless, what do you guys think, is there any advice you can give me regarding this build?

CPU - Core i7-930 $200
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

GPU - Galaxy 60XGH6HS3HML GeForce GTX 460 GC Edtion Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5 $220
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

COMBO Mobo Psu $320
Mobo - ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Ram - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel. $190
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower $100
http://www.unityelectronics.com/products /5555/Antec_Twelve_Hundred_Black_Steel_ATX_Full_Tower_Case_12_Bays_2x_USB_eSATA_5x_120mm_Fans_1x_200mm_Fan_Refurbished

Monitor - Dell S2409W 24 $200
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

SSD - 40 Gig Intel # 110

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM $ 90

Bluray/DVD

More about : building

August 15, 2010 2:54:45 PM

hey there just a few suggestions
i'd personally go with the i7 870, it's around the same price but it has better performance
motherboard i would actually go with the gigabyte UD9 cuz it's much easier to OC
RAM's a good idea
Power supply's ok
I would go with a coolermaster case but that's just personal preference
Monitor's fine
Hard drive i would stick with Hitashi or Seagate, you'd probably be better off going with something 10000 RPM
you didn't specify a graphics card, i'd go with XFX 5870 cuz they have a lifetime warranty or if you want nVidia poke around on google about the Fermi 470 or 480
you also didn't specify cooling, unless you want terrible temps i wouldn't go with the stock intel coolers the best out there is probably the promilatech meghalems (not sure if i spelt that right) around 70 dollars + 2 fans
m
l
August 15, 2010 3:18:21 PM

I would go P55+a cheapish mobo, there's no point in spending that much money on a mobo that could be put towards a GPU/upgrade later.

PSU is kinda meh, get the XFX black edition 750w. Silver efficiency, cheaper, and fine for your needs.

Oh and modular.

Ram should be no more than 1.5 voltage, especially for overclocking.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:19:03 PM

This is going to be a budget/value system so the advice you guys gave me about cutting corners are great. I am going to look at the stuff you guys mentioned and see if it lowers the price or if they are just better options.

I did mention the GTX 460 in OP, and i have been reading that two of these in sli are better than 2 5850 in crossfire and definitely better than one 5870/gtx 480, and they are cheaper which is the route I am eventually going to go with this system.

Guys, tbh I know nothing about cooling (liquid I presume) so if you guys can get me started on the best bang for the buck wih this, that would be awesome, I heard kits are easier but not as good so let me know whats the deal with that.

Any other components I am going to need? The wires and connections will all come with the things that I have ordered correct?

Is modular essential for the psu or could I just get by , by organizing the psu's cables properly? and is 750 more than I would ever need, or the 850 would be more future proof?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:24:41 PM

I assume this build is for gaming and little else. If that's the case, there's no reason to go with an i7-920 or an i7-8nn.

Get an i5-760, the gaming performance is basically the same as any of the i7s. You can save $150-200 in CPU/mobo/RAM costs alone by switching to the i5. You can drop to 4 GB of RAM (all that's needed for gaming these days), and the motherboards cost somewhat less.

I wouldn't bother with liquid cooling for your first build. Just get a good HSF off of Frostytech's Top "5" Heatsinks list, or get a Hyper 212+ from amazon for $30 (it's overpriced at $50 at newegg).

Modular doesn't really matter these days except in small form factor builds. 750W would be enough for dual 460s, or more than enough for dual 5850s on the ATI side.

Slightly more targeted advice may be possible if you fill out the info requested in the How to Ask for New Build Advice thread.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:25:02 PM

sp12 said:
I would go P55+a cheapish mobo, there's no point in spending that much money on a mobo that could be put towards a GPU/upgrade later.

PSU is kinda meh, get the XFX black edition 750w. Silver efficiency, cheaper, and fine for your needs.

Oh and modular.

Ram should be no more than 1.5 voltage, especially for overclocking.

This ram is at 1.65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... do you have a cheaper and better alternative cause it looks like a decent buy and must it be at 1.5 for best performance?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:36:26 PM

I'm assuming you're planning on watching Blu-rays on this and you have no need to burn Blu-rays. I didn't search for combos, you can probably cut a little bit of cost that way.

CPU - i5-760 - $210
Mobo - Asus P7P55D-E Pro - $160 - SLI-capable, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0 Gb/s
RAM - G.Skill ECO Series 1600 MHz CL7 4 GB kit - $103
GPU - see below
SSD - OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB - $170
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 - $75
ODD - LG Blu-ray combo drive - OEM - $80 (get a retail Blu-ray if you need software to play them, generally $100 or more total)
PSU - Corsair 750TX - $110
Case - Antec Twelve Hundred - $160

Total without GPU - $1068

If your upper limit is $1500, then you have 2 real options. Get an ATI 5870 (combo ending today with XFX 750W PSU and a promo code - $440 after promo for GPU + PSU) and then Crossfire later if it becomes necessary, or get 2 nVidia 460s and go with an SLI build at the start. I generally don't like to SLI at the start of the build, but it may fit your budget just right. In either case, 750W should be enough power for those GPU setups.

If you go with the XFX GPU + PSU combo above, the total system cost would be $1398, as you could cut the Corsair PSU. Total cost with 2x GTX 460 is $1528.

You could save money by getting a less expensive case, like the HAF 922 or an Antec 300 Illusion.

EDIT: socket 1366 build:
change CPU/mobo/RAM

CPU - i7-930 - $290
Mobo - Gigabyte UD3R - $210
RAM - G.Skill PI Series 1600 MHz CL7 6 GB kit - $160
Total additional cost: $187 (if my math is right)
Total cost (5870) - $1585
Total cost (2x460) - $1715
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:41:02 PM

Approx Purchase - within the month.

Budget - 1700 but wanna keep it as low as possible.

Sytem - Dont get me wrong I am going to be playing games, but my main focus is building a PC that really moves and can handle everything from videos, games, interwebs. Just an overall quick system that is futureproof for the best bang for the buck. (socket 1336 is a must so I can get the six cores when it comes down in price eventually)

Parts not required - mouse and keyboard and that about it, havent even considered a sound card, I am hoping the rampage 3 has some prebuilt sound.

Newegg,Tiger, amazon, whichever is cheapest...

Country - USA

Preference - intel and nvidia (had an ati back in the days that went out on me, never again)

overclocking - somewhat, just to tweak it a little, but do want the system to run right stock.

sli - yes in the future

Resolution - 1920 by 1080 or whatever the max is on the sony 24 inch I am going to go with.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:45:47 PM

You realize that Socket 1366 is being discontinued, right? The only current socket that is even somewhat futureproof is AM3. Most games barely use 2 cores today, much less 4 or 6. Gaming is the most demanding thing you seem to be planning on doing. Socket 1366 might be necessary if you were planning on doing some high-end audio/video editing or 3D rendering.

Clearly, you can still go with an i7 if you really want, but you're not going to get any additional gaming benefit or futureproofing by going that direction.

All modern motherboards have onboard sound that is pretty good. The recommendation is to go with onboard sound at the start, and if you really can't stand it for some reason, buy a sound card later.

EDIT: Added a socket 1366 build above.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 4:58:20 PM

coldsleep said:
You realize that Socket 1366 is being discontinued, right? The only current socket that is even somewhat futureproof is AM3. Most games barely use 2 cores today, much less 4 or 6. Gaming is the most demanding thing you seem to be planning on doing. Socket 1366 might be necessary if you were planning on doing some high-end audio/video editing or 3D rendering.

Clearly, you can still go with an i7 if you really want, but you're not going to get any additional gaming benefit or futureproofing by going that direction.

All modern motherboards have onboard sound that is pretty good. The recommendation is to go with onboard sound at the start, and if you really can't stand it for some reason, buy a sound card later.

EDIT: Added a socket 1366 build above.

Your right I am not going to be doing any editing, but was seriously considering going the AMD route because they had the 6 cores and the bulldozer should be compatible for the am3 but in the end I just wasnt comfortable without a pentium, they seem to run cooler and they are all I have ever used.

1336 is being discontinued eh? So what do you recommend now that might be a better investment for the future?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 5:13:51 PM

Quote:
1336 is being discontinued eh? So what do you recommend now that might be a better investment for the future?

Both of Intel's current sockets (1156 & 1366) are being discontinued within the next year. It's likely that no further processors will be released for them, although I'm sure the prices will come down some. I don't know whether or not the i7-980X will ever truly become affordable, however. If you look back at socket 775, the high-end processors are still over $300. At that price, you might as well just buy a new mid-range system and you'll still get better performance.

If you think that you will need to upgrade your CPU within the next couple of years, I'd go with AMD. If you don't expect to need to upgrade the CPU within the next couple of years, it doesn't really matter, as it's likely all manufacturers will be on new sockets in 3 or so years.

For an AMD build today, I'd go with a Phenom II X4 955 (and then upgrade to Bulldozer later, don't bother with the X6s right now), get an 890GX or 890FX motherboard, and the same RAM as the i5 build.

An 890FX motherboard is going to cost more than the P55 mobo, but it has equivalent features to a 1366 mobo, including multiple x16 PCI-E slots. An 890GX mobo is going to be equivalent to a P55 mobo. Of course the other thing to consider is that most AMD mobos only do CrossFire, not SLI, so that either limits you to an ATI graphics solution (not necessarily a bad thing), or to a single-card solution, which kind of nullifies the reason to go 890FX.

The Gigabyte UD5 is a good 890FX motherboard at $180, there are also similar Asus and MSI motherboards for a little bit more.
m
l
August 15, 2010 5:17:25 PM

Yep, P55 is the way to go for wait. or go with AMD and upgrade to bulldozer in the future.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 5:39:05 PM

coldsleep said:
Both of Intel's current sockets (1156 & 1366) are being discontinued within the next year. It's likely that no further processors will be released for them, although I'm sure the prices will come down some. I don't know whether or not the i7-980X will ever truly become affordable, however. If you look back at socket 775, the high-end processors are still over $300. At that price, you might as well just buy a new mid-range system and you'll still get better performance.

If you think that you will need to upgrade your CPU within the next couple of years, I'd go with AMD. If you don't expect to need to upgrade the CPU within the next couple of years, it doesn't really matter, as it's likely all manufacturers will be on new sockets in 3 or so years.

For an AMD build today, I'd go with a Phenom II X4 955 (and then upgrade to Bulldozer later, don't bother with the X6s right now), get an 890GX or 890FX motherboard, and the same RAM as the i5 build.

An 890FX motherboard is going to cost more than the P55 mobo, but it has equivalent features to a 1366 mobo, including multiple x16 PCI-E slots. An 890GX mobo is going to be equivalent to a P55 mobo. Of course the other thing to consider is that most AMD mobos only do CrossFire, not SLI, so that either limits you to an ATI graphics solution (not necessarily a bad thing), or to a single-card solution, which kind of nullifies the reason to go 890FX.

The Gigabyte UD5 is a good 890FX motherboard at $180, there are also similar Asus and MSI motherboards for a little bit more.

Good advice here thanks for everything, I dunno my mind is going all over the place. I have to go back and check this stuff out and see how much money I will be able to save than the one I have already planned out...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 5:50:04 PM

Quote:
Good advice here thanks for everything, I dunno my mind is going all over the place. I have to go back and check this stuff out and see how much money I will be able to save than the one I have already planned out...

An AMD build should cost about the same as (EDIT) a little less than the i5-760.

CPU - Phenom II X4 955 - $160
Mobo - Gigabyte UD5 - $180
Total compared to i5-760 build: -$40
Total with 5870: $1358 (if bought today, due to promo code ending)
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 6:09:51 PM

coldsleep said:
An AMD build should cost about the same as (EDIT) a little less than the i5-760.

CPU - Phenom II X4 955 - $160
Mobo - Gigabyte UD5 - $180
Total compared to i5-760 build: -$40
Total with 5870: $1358 (if bought today, due to promo code ending)

looking at your system specs, I was considering going for the crosshair with the thuban, regardless is your system relatively new? and did you have any problems with parts that you had to RMA? did any problems come up when you were building it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 6:13:44 PM

Unless you're doing video editing, I'd recommend staying away from the Thuban. It's a fine processor, but nothing except heavy editing/rendering rigs need 6 cores right now. You'll be better off getting a Phenom II X4 and upgrading later.

I built my system in May, and yes, I did run into problems during the build. PM me for more info.
m
l
!