Sign in with
Your question

Can't install Windows 7 in Raid for SSD caching (Intel SRT)

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2012 11:36:08 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD and I'm trying to install Windows 7 with the Raid controller on a fresh HDD to meet the requirements for Intel's SRT.

I'm trying to install Windows from a Mesh OEM disk but when it gets to the installation completion window an error pops up saying ''Windows setup could not configure windows on this computers hardware''.

Windows installs fine under IDE/AHCI controller but that doesn't help me!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luke
November 15, 2012 12:31:18 AM

Sproutzy said:
Hello,

I recently purchased a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD and I'm trying to install Windows 7 with the Raid controller on a fresh HDD to meet the requirements for Intel's SRT.

I'm trying to install Windows from a Mesh OEM disk but when it gets to the installation completion window an error pops up saying ''Windows setup could not configure windows on this computers hardware''.

Windows installs fine under IDE/AHCI controller but that doesn't help me!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Luke

What motherboard do you have? Or can you tell me what is the chipset for the motherboard? Not all chipsets supports Intel SRT, just to tell you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 152 G Storage
November 15, 2012 12:43:28 AM

As said above you need Z86 and newer as far as i know.

If you meet the requirments...

You can install windows with just the hard drive in raid mode. then add the SSD later. This just ensures Windows does not do anything strange. It is a good habit to not install windows with other drives as in rare case, it puts its boot loader on the wrong drive. While this works, the other drive must stay present.

If you are having problems, maybe try to use the drivers from Intel when installing. I have never had to, but some users report needing them(different or newer boards then mine.).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldI...

Get the F6 drivers for your version of windows(X86 = 32-bit and x64 = 64-bit) and extract the files to a USB stick. When installing windows at the point that it asks you to select your drive to install to, you should be able to load 3rd party drivers.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 1:28:27 AM

Hey, thanks for your replies.

I have an Asus maximus gene-z68 so it is conpatible.

I should have been more clear but it was my 2TB HDD I was trying to install Windows on - not the SSD.

I shall try the drivers when I get home, thanks for the help!
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:29:37 AM

*compatable!
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:30:11 AM

*compatible! 3rd time lucky
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 152 G Storage
November 15, 2012 11:42:27 AM

Maximus IV Gene-Z by any chance :) 

I have that board.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:38:00 PM

That's the one!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 152 G Storage
November 15, 2012 6:22:16 PM

When I did it, I just setup the HDD first in RAID mode then installed the SSD after.

Also make sure you have the latest bios updates too.
m
l
November 15, 2012 7:29:51 PM

Hey,

Thanks for your replies but I decided to upgrade to Windows 8 in the end and SRT is working fine!

Do you know of any convenient ways to transfer all of my files (not including OS) from my old hard drive to my new, Windows 8 hard drive? I'm talking mainly program/app/game installs and game saves as well as documents and other media. I have about 1.5TBs to transfer.

Thanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 152 G Storage
November 15, 2012 8:03:44 PM

If the games are on Steam, you can just install steam(then close it) then copy the old one over it self. All the games will do any first run things before you play them next.

The problem with just copying games/programs over is that many games have registry entries that had been created when installing. Many MMO games will fix them selves on first run after a simple copy and paste.

Save games would just be a basic of copy + paste. Most times they are in the c:\users\yournamehere\documents\gamename\save anyway. so when you copy docs(a simple copy + paste). many games saves will come with.

Other then that, you may have to do some work to get some things to moved over.

I do not have a nice automatic way.
m
l
November 15, 2012 8:16:55 PM

Aye, I know that mate, just wondered if there was any software that would maybe clone everything except the OS for example? I should have worded it better!

Thanks for the help though!
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:07:25 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks a lot, pal!

m
l
!