sc.exe qdescription

Hello Windozers ;-)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
[SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:

The data area passed to a system call is too small.

[SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
greater. No go.
System: XP Sp1a

Any way around this would be helpful!
Or is it a bug?

Regards,

Mart
2 answers Last reply
More about qdescription

    Remove the typo from your command

    Correct Syntax;
    sc description cryptsvc

    Wrong Syntax;
    sc qdescription cryptsvc

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:33:33 +1000, "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org>
    wrote:

    >Remove the typo from your command
    >
    >Correct Syntax;
    >sc description cryptsvc

    wrong...
    qdescription is used to query, not to set a service description.

    anyways, i was missing something too...
    do, must have been blind:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription
    Retrieves the description string of a service.
    USAGE:
    sc <server> qdescription [service name] <bufferSize>

    i missed the <bufferSize>, used it as i was used with sc query
    bufsize= xxx...

    wrong answer Mark, but thanks it helped me open my eyes...
    guess i'm already computer blind ;)

    regards

    Mart

    >Wrong Syntax;
    >sc qdescription cryptsvc
    >

    >Regards
    >Mark Dormer
    >
    >"Mart Frauenlob" <mart.frauenlob@chello.at> wrote in message
    >> Hello Windozers ;-)

    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
    >> [SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:
    >>
    >> The data area passed to a system call is too small.
    >>
    >> [SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

    >> I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
    >> greater. No go.
    >> System: XP Sp1a
    >>
    >> Any way around this would be helpful!
    >> Or is it a bug?