Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

sc.exe qdescription

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:03:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello Windozers ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
[SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:

The data area passed to a system call is too small.

[SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

-------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
greater. No go.
System: XP Sp1a

Any way around this would be helpful!
Or is it a bug?

Regards,

Mart

More about : exe qdescription

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:33:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Remove the typo from your command

Correct Syntax;
sc description cryptsvc

Wrong Syntax;
sc qdescription cryptsvc


Regards
Mark Dormer

"Mart Frauenlob" <mart.frauenlob@chello.at> wrote in message
news:sv3b911e33hv0mvnnn1ut6eth04gjf453e@4ax.com...
> Hello Windozers ;-)
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
> [SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:
>
> The data area passed to a system call is too small.
>
> [SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
> greater. No go.
> System: XP Sp1a
>
> Any way around this would be helpful!
> Or is it a bug?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mart
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:33:33 +1000, "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org>
wrote:

>Remove the typo from your command
>
>Correct Syntax;
>sc description cryptsvc

wrong...
qdescription is used to query, not to set a service description.

anyways, i was missing something too...
do, must have been blind:

---------------------------------------------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription
DESCRIPTION:
Retrieves the description string of a service.
USAGE:
sc <server> qdescription [service name] <bufferSize>
---------------------------------------------------------

i missed the <bufferSize>, used it as i was used with sc query
bufsize= xxx...

wrong answer Mark, but thanks it helped me open my eyes...
guess i'm already computer blind ;) 

regards

Mart

>Wrong Syntax;
>sc qdescription cryptsvc
>
>
>Regards
>Mark Dormer
>
>"Mart Frauenlob" <mart.frauenlob@chello.at> wrote in message
>news:sv3b911e33hv0mvnnn1ut6eth04gjf453e@4ax.com...
>> Hello Windozers ;-)
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc qdescription cryptsvc
>> [SC] GetConfigInfo FAILED 122:
>>
>> The data area passed to a system call is too small.
>>
>> [SC] GetConfigInfo needs 940 bytes
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I tried to get around with 'sc qdescription svcname bufsize= 5000, or
>> greater. No go.
>> System: XP Sp1a
>>
>> Any way around this would be helpful!
>> Or is it a bug?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mart
>
!