errorpipelistening

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I've looked through the forum categories and do not know if I'm posting in the correct area.
I'm posting here because the topic involves a USB Flash Drive.
Please let me know if there is a more suitable all round general category if not appropriate here:

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a step by step process to create a windows 7 bootable flash drive?

I have googled and there are many results so write to ask if anyone can direct me to an accurate and reliable method?

Thanks for the help

StormOfRazors

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

It is a fairly straightforward process, but may differ based on what motherboard you have.
Here is an article that accurately summaries it: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflash.htm
I wil go into a little more detail though.

1: first, you need to ensure that you have a 'bootable image' (this can be in the form of an .iso file for example) as just any old file will not be able to boot. Once you have this (for example a "windows 8 consumer preview 64bit .iso" file) then simply drag and drop it onto the USB

2: Leave the USB inserted in the computer, but press the restart button (or shut down and then manually turn on again). The first screen that pops up when the machine is booted up is the BIOS (shown before windows or another OS loads). This is usually blue or black with white writing, but can change if it is a UEFI bios (dont worry about that. That is a bios that is colorful and can be controlled with the mouse, amongst other things). The standard bios is simply blue or black with white text.

3: when this BIOS shows (and you have to be quick, it usually only shows for a few seconds) you have to interrupt the normal boot process by gaining access to the BIOS. this is the BIOS: http://www.albatron.com.tw/public/Images/Knowledge/2007122003/14.gif and as you can see in the photo, in the red highlighted bit, it says to press delete to access the bios. This will change depending on manufacturer (sometimes it is the F10, F11 or F12 key) but you will have to press a key in this stage to access the bios.

4: once you are into the BIOS, (as i said this will change based on what Motherboard you have)you need to find the boot settings or boot priority or boot order list. As a default, the first place a computer will look to boot from is the DVD drive (for when you put windows in the first time) and its second priority is hard drive 1. The way this works is that it will look for a DVD to boot off of, and if it cant find one it will boot from the Hard drive (this occurs most of the time). You need to change this so that the first device the BIOS looks for a bootable image from is not the DVD or Hard drive, but the USB. Simply change this.

5: restart the PC and it will prioritize booting from the USB

Hope I helped :)