Sign in with
Your question

Seagate 3.5 inch External Hard Drive with USB 3.0 3TB

Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2012 12:30:17 AM

I am looking at an online deal to purchase a Seagate external HD. It doesn't give a link to an exact model. All I have is this text:
Seagate 3.5 inch External Hard Drive with USB 3.0 3TB

I googled it, and it took me to this Seagate page:
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-har...
And the picture is the same as the one in the deal, so it seems to be the same model.

But I can't find any reference to the "3.5 inch" in the description - Is this just describing the physical size of the box(?)

Anyway, I just need to decide if this would be a wise purchase or not. i.e. What kind of quality. I notice on their page they only have a 1-year warranty, but I don't know what the norm is. I only have experience with Iomega drives which sofar have lasted several years without any problems.
I'd appreciate hearing from you if you know much about drives.
Thanks..
a b G Storage
November 15, 2012 9:44:43 AM

Most external drives are going to have a 1 year warranty. Even some of seagates internal drives have 1 year warrantys which is pretty pitiful imo.

The 3.5" is referring to the physical size of the drive. This type of external drive is rather large, and would require an external power supply rather then just running off a usb connection.

No one can tell you how long a drive will last, being prepared for it to die at any time is all you can do.
December 14, 2012 11:39:24 PM

tomatthe said:
Most external drives are going to have a 1 year warranty. Even some of seagates internal drives have 1 year warrantys which is pretty pitiful imo.

The 3.5" is referring to the physical size of the drive. This type of external drive is rather large, and would require an external power supply rather then just running off a usb connection.

No one can tell you how long a drive will last, being prepared for it to die at any time is all you can do.

I went ahead and bought it shortly after posting here - the 3TB. Sofar no problems. It's smaller than it looks in the pic. It's also smaller than my other 3 drives, and more compact as it has a regular rectangle shape. Anyway, just wanted to update. If anything goes wrong in the future, I will update again, but let's hope I won't have to :) 
!