Solved

If Im Not Overclocking Which Processor is BEST!!!

Ok so im contemplating creating a build for $1500 where processor power is of the utmost importance. A decent graphics card that can handle the Call of Duty Series and The Total War series will be used more than likely the 6850. However for the processor if i dont plan on overclocking which one would be more beneficial to me. The things that I will be doing with this rig are as follows: transcoding videos with convertxtodvd avi/mkv in which time is my most important issue I have an Athlon X2 4200 in this pc and it is god awful it take 45-60 minutes to transcode a 700mb file. Also unrar alot of things at once scan clients hard drives for virii. Photo Slide shows with Photodex Proshow Producer and generally have alot of windows open, in google chrome at this instant i have 30 tabs open. So please help, and if you think it would be more beneficial for me to overclock than let me know im open to all and any suggestions
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking processor best
  1. Most of the time the i7 950 would be faster than an X6 from AMD. Overclocking is such a good way to get faster speeds for little to no extra cost,depending on if you get an aftermarket heatsink to overclock higher(a small overclock can be done on the stock cooler).
    You'll probably need quite a bit of Ram, which is what the i7 is good for with triple channel ;)
  2. Best answer
    If you plan on transcoding, there's just one way to go w/o burning the pockets: the Phenom II X6. Nothing beats the price/performance of the 6 AMD cores and you can get a decent one starting $300. For motherboard, I highly recommend you mine: Asus M4A89GTD Pro (or the /USB3 version if you also want to have USB3). Except the low price, config (SATA 3, RAID etc) it also has two PCIE slots so you can crossfire at a later point if you like in order to beef up the graphics.
    Go for 8 GB of RAM, at least PC1333, and as your budget is pretty high you should consider a SSD as boot drive and 2-3 Hard Disks in Raid 0 for the actual work.
    Don't forget a good PSU (my favourite is Corsair HX or TX line if you're into cable management) and a decent cooler, even if you're not into overclocking. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is around $30 and performs almost as well as $80 or $100 coolers (in overclocking). At stock speed it should be more than enough.
    PS
    Keep in mind that if you decide to go Intel, the price of the MB will also add a lot to the config (oposed to AMD motherboards) so consider CPU+MB costs when evaluating your rig.
  3. ive overclocked a little throughout the years nothing too extreme though but i just wanted some input from you guys on some info i was unsure about. Ok so if i was going to overclock a little do you think the hyper would still be alright
  4. Moshu78 said:
    If you plan on transcoding, there's just one way to go w/o burning the pockets: the Phenom II X6. Nothing beats the price/performance of the 6 AMD cores and you can get a decent one starting $300. For motherboard, I highly recommend you mine: Asus M4A89GTD Pro (or the /USB3 version if you also want to have USB3). Except the low price, config (SATA 3, RAID etc) it also has two PCIE slots so you can crossfire at a later point if you like in order to beef up the graphics.
    Go for 8 GB of RAM, at least PC1333, and as your budget is pretty high you should consider a SSD as boot drive and 2-3 Hard Disks in Raid 0 for the actual work.
    Don't forget a good PSU (my favourite is Corsair HX or TX line if you're into cable management) and a decent cooler, even if you're not into overclocking. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is around $30 and performs almost as well as $80 or $100 coolers (in overclocking). At stock speed it should be more than enough.
    PS
    Keep in mind that if you decide to go Intel, the price of the MB will also add a lot to the config (oposed to AMD motherboards) so consider CPU+MB costs when evaluating your rig.

what do you think of this motherboard M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX
  5. Best answer selected by syxxnyne69.
  6. syxxnyne69 said:
    what do you think of this motherboard M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX

Id get a real 8xx Motherboard instead.
  7. The Hypers bang for buck reputation is unmatched, for the overclocking ability of the Hyper 212+ check this thread out:
    http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/819568-review-noctua-nh-d14-vs-coolermaster.html

the good thing about your cooler is that the performance isnt just limited to the heatsink, you can splash a view dollars and get some fans to run in push/pull config

Noctua's NF P-12 or cooler masters range of 120mm fans or maybe Scythe
  8. Get a 89X Motherboard, as ares1214 said.

Regarding overclocing, Hyper is very good and the Motherboard I recommended works like a charm (you have full control on all parameters, including LLC). I personally have a Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz) overclocked @3.75 GHz on air with a worse performing cooler and a mediocre thermal paste (AS ceramique). Even so... I can hit 4 GHz but stability is not perfect so I keep it at lower speed.

Go for the Hyper, get a good thermal paste (arctic cooling's MX-3 or the new MX-4 are maybe the best performers at the moment) and free those GHz.

It's a good idea to get at least DDR-1600 if you plan on overclocking a processor that is not Black Edition.... but if you know your way you can do it with any RAM.

One more thing: if you will buy a SSD, go for the Corsair Force Series or OCZ Vertex 2 Series. They are the best performers at the moment (with read/write speeds up to 285/275 MBps) and the prices are ok ($100 = 60 GB / $190 = 120 GB).

Good luck and enjoy your rig! ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Processors Product