Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad engineer ruined bf's anniversary present. please help

Last response: in Components
October 28, 2010 4:53:45 AM

Hi! So about a month ago, I got help from lots of people to help buy computer parts for my bf as a 6 year anniversary present. ( We're engaged now for anyone wondering.) I received great advice for what parts I should buy him to allow him to finally build a new workstation, and he was really, really surprised and happy when I showed him what I got. However, he initially had parts that he got from work from one of the engineers, and it turns out that the case that he got won't fit his motherboard after all. Although he's trying to act like it's not a big deal, I know he's sad that he finally was putting together his new workstation, and then ten minutes after starting, he suddenly couldn't build it anymore. I want him to buy a good tower for his money and not just the first one that he can find that fits that motherboard. Could anyone please, please, please recommend a good SSi CEB chassis (10.5" x 12") for a workstation comp? I copied that info from his Tyan S5375 Temptest i5100X revision 1.00 manual, so I hope that's enough information. I know it's probably lame to you guys, that my guy doesn't know a lot about computer parts, considering he uses computers every day, but if you could please help us, I would really appreciate it. He works 12-14 hour days and has waited years to build a new comp, so I'm sad for him. Thanks for your time. - Penn

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 8:23:02 AM

See, the Mobo is a server mobo and is meant for a rack mount . Still if you want a case for it to use it for a workstation
Try these
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?eId=10119...
This looks sleek........
This is for the top end cooling variety....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And hey the same product on top ( the first one ) at Newegg...

Here's a whole list of the Pedestal variety from newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Hope this helps....
And a happy anni to you....

a c 121 ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 3:37:24 PM

If you look at the whole list of Pedestal styles, please note that not all of them will fit your bf's mobo; the specs will list what each one will fit.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2010 11:57:36 PM

A few question:

1. Rest of the specs?

2. What CPU cooler do you plan to use?

3. Do you need hot swap drive bays?

4. Is this the board: http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=566

5. When did you buy this and how much did you pay for the entire system?

6. Budget?

7. Any chance of starting over?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 29, 2010 12:18:22 AM

chempenn said:
Although he's trying to act like it's not a big deal, I know he's sad that he finally was putting together his new workstation, and then ten minutes after starting, he suddenly couldn't build it anymore.

I don't know the guy, obviously, but I can tell you any guy I know would be thrilled at the thought and time you put into this. The shear fact that you took the time to research such a topic is great. I have a feeling that your being a bit too hard on yourself.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 29, 2010 12:23:42 AM

^ Agreed. There aren't many girls who would take the time to do some thing like this.

edit:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291125-28-need-buildn...
I just saw that thread.... I feel sorry that I didn't post there (and no, I did not see it before today). There was a bunch of things I could have done/said to save time, money, and increase performance (for starters, going 2P LGA1366), etc. Alas! It's too late.
m
l
October 30, 2010 3:45:02 AM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll start checking these out!

alyoshka said:
See, the Mobo is a server mobo and is meant for a rack mount . Still if you want a case for it to use it for a workstation
Try these
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?eId=10119...
This looks sleek........
This is for the top end cooling variety....
And hey the same product on top ( the first one ) at Newegg...

Here's a whole list of the Pedestal variety from newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Hope this helps....
And a happy anni to you....

m
l
October 30, 2010 3:59:01 AM

VERY, VERY good to know. Thanks so much! At all costs, I like to avoid situations where people give me the it's ok, you're pretty look. It's bad enough that I already get the watch out for the female, asian ,SUV driver look. I'll be sure to read all the specs.

Onus said:
If you look at the whole list of Pedestal styles, please note that not all of them will fit your bf's mobo; the specs will list what each one will fit.

m
l
October 30, 2010 4:51:14 AM

Hi! Some of his parts were given to him by other people at work, so he's being stubborn and wants to use them even though some of the parts made it so that we were forced to buy very specific, expensive parts. (boo) Other stuff I got based on forum recommendations and reviews that were posted on various websites. Unless there's something truly amazing that makes the cash hit from discarding parts that we already have worth it, I think you guys are forced to figure something out that will work with the following (prices are before tax):

Part 1. / 2. / 5. -

1 Thermaltake 2U Intel Xeon Server Solution Copper CPU Cooler Dual Heatpipes for LGA Socket 771 Dempsey : CL-P0303 (Retail) $42.95 each

1 Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5.3 $7.49

6 x ($30.99) MEM 1G|KST KVR667D2S8P5/1G R $140.94

1 x ($174.99) PSU CORSAIR|750W CMPSU-750AX RT $174.99

3 x ($69.99) HD 1T|SEAGATE 7K ST31000528AS OEM - OEM $209.97

2 x Intel Xeon L5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 50W Quad-Core Processor $329.99 each

Things that I don't know the price:

PNY nVidia GeForce 8800 GT pci express GDDR3 video card and TYAN S5375 Tempest i5100X rev 1.00 (document part # D1907-100). I'm pretty sure that it is the board that you listed in part 4.

Part 3. -
No we don't need to hot swap drive bays.

Part 6.
For the case, it would be ideal if you could find something within $300 or less. It doesn't need to be pretty or come with it's own light show. If there's a $150-200 version of something that has good performance but is the ugliest thing on the planet, that's totally fine with us. At this point, we really don't care.

Part 7.
Unfortunately, no. We're in a make due with what we got situation.

Anyways, I hope that this helps. Any specific cases that you or anyone could point out would be great. Thanks so much for your time.

Shadow703793 said:
A few question:

1. Rest of the specs?

6. Budget?

m
l
October 30, 2010 5:04:32 AM

Thanks to you and the dude above for the kind words. Honestly, if my bf didn't have to spend time with me and my two border collies everyday, then he would have time to look this stuff up, so if I have the free time to do so, it makes sense that I should look stuff up for him to thank him for giving us what time he can. If you look at it from that standpoint, I think it's very obvious that as much as I do want to help him and make him happy, I would also like to selfishly avoid becoming a seriously evil, moody, ignored gf. lol.

Aww, extra help would have been nice, since there were very few replies with actual advice ( most likely, cuz my bf won't dump any of the parts that he had which made it hard on people to get past that). Obviously, it's not your fault and stuff that you didn't see the thread earlier. Thanks so much for offering to help. :) 

Shadow703793 said:
^ Agreed. There aren't many girls who would take the time to do some thing like this.

edit:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291125-28-need-buildn...
I just saw that thread.... I feel sorry that I didn't post there (and no, I did not see it before today). There was a bunch of things I could have done/said to save time, money, and increase performance (for starters, going 2P LGA1366), etc. Alas! It's too late.

m
l
October 30, 2010 6:00:00 AM

Oop, before you do too much work, check out what I post right after this. I was looking at a case that someone recommended earlier and wanted feedback, so if you like it too, you might not have to search for stuff anymore.

Shadow703793 said:
A few question:

1. Rest of the specs?

6. Budget?

m
l
October 30, 2010 6:11:14 AM

Hi again,

After replying to everyone who kindly took the time to reply to me, I took a look at the cases that you recommended. I like the reviews that I found and the stats for the CHENBRO SR10769-BK-T 1.0mm SECC Pedestal High-End Server/Workstation Chassis 3 External 5.25" Drive Bays - $130 at Newegg.

I know that beforehand, I didn't give you a budget to work with, so you were listing what seems to be a really good case for the price. However, I'm willing to spend a little more if it actually helps with performance and ease of installation. There seem to be a lot of internet opinions promoting lian li cases. Do you or anyone else think that it's ok to just get this chenbro which seems to be heavy but versatile or would you instead buy a lian li case for good reasons other than it's light weight and can practically function as a disco ball? I don't know enough about this stuff to tell when things are honestly better or when people are just being fanboys.

If additional information is needed regarding what will be going in this case, I posted all the parts that we have a few posts above this. No one notices any conflicting specs for the chassis vs needed room for parts like the cooler or anything?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 8:03:58 AM

I would personally go for the Chenbro case..... not a Lian Li, they're fine for the enthusiasts but since you plan to have 2 processors in the rig plus the green card :)  I'd go for the Chenbro 'cos of it's excessive cooling power and airflow.
Plus ease of access and Compatibility so incase you need to put on a real big heat sink (Tall) it's wide enough to accommodate it......
Of course it may not be the prettiest but it serves the main purpose and is good at it....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 8:14:39 PM

Quote:
Anyways, I hope that this helps. Any specific cases that you or anyone could point out would be great. Thanks so much for your time.

Fair enough.

I agree with alyoshk, I'd just get which ever case that works even if it's not as nice looking as a Lian Li.

Also note, you *can* use a rack mount case with out a rack, the only thing is you will have to probably lay it out horizontally instead of vertically.
Some thing like this will work very well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you go the way of rack mount, you can get a server rack (DIY using 80/20 for ~$250; retail ~$400+) down the road and consolidate all the racks in to one big rendering farm/Backburner with out wasting a lot of floor space :p 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 8:16:48 PM

Lian Li cases are great quality, from materials, to build quality, to design. You will pay a premium, but it might be worth it to you. If you want to go that route and get a really nice looking case, then look at these:

Here is a great case that should fit that motherboard and has decent cooling:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Or if you want more performance

Now you might want to double check the compatibility. From my understand SSI CEB (12"x10") is a derivative of ATX (12"X9.6"), but has a different size. Therefor, any E-ATX (12"x13") should fit it and the IO ports will match up. Most of the holes should match up, but some might not (I'm not sure), but you really don't need all the screws in anyway.

Honestly, I tend to recommend Lian Li a lot, because they are beautiful cases and they are a joy to use. That's just my opinion.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 8:18:18 PM

Shadow703793 said:

Also note, you *can* use a rack mount case with out a rack, the only thing is you will have to probably lay it out horizontally instead of vertically.
Some thing like this will work very well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you go the way of rack mount, you can get a server rack (DIY using 80/20 for ~$250; retail ~$400+) down the road and consolidate all the racks in to one big rendering farm/Backburner with out wasting a lot of floor space :p 

Since the computer is a workstation and not a server, I'm not sure why they would want to do that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 11:14:17 PM

^ By getting a rack mount, you can consolidate your workstation in the future to make a mini rendering farm with out taking up a lot of space (compared to 2x massive full tower cases). I know at least 2 professional Maya designers who have something like this at their small business. Look up Maya Backburner. You'll see what I'm talking about.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:35:50 AM

You three are awesome! Thank you so much for the different opinions and link options for us to chose from. You all made comparing things really easy. Last time I asked for help, I just got a list of stuff with very little explanation as to why things were good, which was helpful but not very educational. It's nice to actually learn and understand what I should look for when doing this stuff, especially since it seems like there's a different good company out there for every single comp part which then comes in 30 different variations. Trying to figure it out myself when I have no history in computers at all, would be like asking you guys to put together an ultimate make up kit on a budget, so I can't say thanks enough. I'm slightly pressed for time today, so instead of responding to each thing individually, I'm just gonna post this one reply. I'm sorry if that's in bad form from what people usually do.

amw1011- My bf says that they use the case that you pointed out at his work, so you have good taste. I looked around, and you're definitely right that the lian li's are way prettier. We're not sure if all of the specs/holes/etc match up exactly either though, so we're just gonna go with the majority vote on this one. Thanks for giving us the flip side to the chenbro vs lian li controversy and for being very detail oriented about what specs I should pay attention to.

shadow703793- I'm really glad that you agreed about the chenbro, since it's sometimes scary to do things based off of only one opinion. The rack mount thing is a really interesting idea that I never thought about doing before. The only thing is that we're probably not going to have enough money to buy another comp for a few years, ( We're getting married and bought a house. ), I think that for now we'll get the chenbro and later on when we have more money to play with, we'll buy a rackmount and stick two things in right away instead of staring at a sad little gap. Thanks for pointing out something new that'll probably be really useful in the future.

alyoshka- Obviously, I'm going to pick your helpful and detailed answer as the best, since it's what I'm going to be buying. Thanks for pointing out a low cost case that seems to make the installation process really easy for people and has lots of room for future modifications.

Thanks so much!!! Best wishes to all :hello: 
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:37:29 AM

Best answer selected by chempenn.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2010 10:59:47 PM

Quote:

shadow703793- I'm really glad that you agreed about the chenbro, since it's sometimes scary to do things based off of only one opinion. The rack mount thing is a really interesting idea that I never thought about doing before. The only thing is that we're probably not going to have enough money to buy another comp for a few years, ( We're getting married and bought a house. ), I think that for now we'll get the chenbro and later on when we have more money to play with, we'll buy a rackmount and stick two things in right away instead of staring at a sad little gap. Thanks for pointing out something new that'll probably be really useful in the future.

I see... I only have student loans so far :lol:  .Anyways, good luck.
m
l
!