Headphones as pc speaker

Hello people,
Yesterday, while I playing some 3d game my ~3 year old e6700/asus p5b shut down. From that point on I couldnt get it to POST. I tried pinpointing the problem, removed everything but ram/cpu/video card. Even tried without video card and ram, same thing happens: both hdd led/power led remain on (even if I dont have any hdd plugged in). this led me to think that at least one of the mobo/cpu/psu(even though fans work) is dead.

Second problem is that I have no pc speaker. the mobo has 4 pins for connecting case speakers but my case hasnt any. However the case does have a front panel with a jack connector that I thought I might plug into the pc speaker connector and use some headphones for diagnosis. Could this work ? the speaker pins on the mobo are named as follows: 2 grounds, one 5V+ and 1 speaker. I have 0 electronics experience but my gut feeling tells me that I should use a ground and the speaker pins.

Help is really appreciated,
Russ
3 answers Last reply
More about headphones speaker
  1. darqwan said:
    Hello people,
    Yesterday, while I playing some 3d game my ~3 year old e6700/asus p5b shut down. From that point on I couldnt get it to POST. I tried pinpointing the problem, removed everything but ram/cpu/video card. Even tried without video card and ram, same thing happens: both hdd led/power led remain on (even if I dont have any hdd plugged in). this led me to think that at least one of the mobo/cpu/psu(even though fans work) is dead.

Second problem is that I have no pc speaker. the mobo has 4 pins for connecting case speakers but my case hasnt any. However the case does have a front panel with a jack connector that I thought I might plug into the pc speaker connector and use some headphones for diagnosis. Could this work ? the speaker pins on the mobo are named as follows: 2 grounds, one 5V+ and 1 speaker. I have 0 electronics experience but my gut feeling tells me that I should use a ground and the speaker pins.

Help is really appreciated,
    Russ

1) This may sound stupid, but double check the caps on the capacitors. A friend of mine had just one blown and his PC started crashing.
    2) Is there a way you can look up your case model? The manufacturer might have a manual for it and you can check if the wires match up.
  2. it turns out that the psu was the root cause of this, lately we have quite a lot of storms/voltage spikes here. As for the headphones, I didnt yet test this but an 8 ohm speaker hooked to the SPEAKER/5V+ pins should do the trick (this is taken from some pictures I've found on the web). Maybe someone else with xp in electronics can confirm this.
  3. The case speaker is a peizo buzzer normally and beep codes are not output through the normal sound system. Go through our check list for boot problems it might resolve your issue, there is a link where you can get a case speaker for pretty cheap from.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Also open up your case and check for any visible damage, smell around too, if something blew you can probably smell it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Speakers LED Monitor Systems