Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
My specs
Built on top of a Compaq Presario SR5505F
Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Ivy8)
RAM: 3GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) [1gb stock, 2gb Kingston KVR800D2N5/2G]
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+, 3.0Ghz, 2MB L2 cache, ADX6000CZBOX
Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130435
Power Supply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1389575&sku=T925-2060&srkey=thermaltake%20430

I feel that my computer isn't getting as much gaming performance as it should(for a dual core at least) and it is being held back by something. Then I later realized that my power supply does not meet the +12v rail amp requirements for my video card-
Video card minimum requirement: (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp.
My power supply:
+12V 1: 14 A
+12V 2: 15 A

Now this is not exactly my fault, as I originally had an 8600gt that ran perfectly with my power supply up until it overheated. I send it to nvidia for an RMA and then they send me back a 9800gt having given them my specs.

So I've been happily running this card with no problems for a year, but I just have a feeling that just because it can run doesn't mean its running at it full potential due to later realizing my power supply's +12v ampage is way below minimum requirements. From other people I've asked to compare, they say I have enough to run it properly.

So what I am wondering is- are there are any significant consequences to stability, life, or performance of my video card not receiving enough amps?

IIRC the x2 6000 was not quite up there with an E8400 (which is why I didn't get one!) and one 8800GT (same thing as a 9800GT) runs just fine on an E8400. If the card was not getting enough power it would either beep constantly, refuse to go into 3D mode, just crash the computer or sometimes all three.

notty22

Distinguished
+1
Upgrading your psu is not going to lead to a performance increase. You would have stability problems, reboots , general bad things. Not a smooth lessening of performance.

A high quality psu is always a good thing. But its not going to give you a performance increase in this case.

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
notty22 and mousemonkey, thank you. That answers my question perfectly. And yeah i guess you're right it is the CPU. That seems to be the only thing holding certain games back, especially team fortress 2. And considering my shitty mobo, my only options would be to just get a new mobo and build a new computer altogether, or overclock. However, nobody answered my question on my last thread as to whether dual channel would make any difference in how my processor/overall computer performs?

Also here are some mass effect 2 benchmarks running around omega:

2010-07-10 14:18:12 - MassEffect2(with all graphics options on)
Frames: 2432 - Time: 45262ms - Avg: 53.732 - Min: 25 - Max: 61

2010-07-10 14:19:18 - MassEffect2(dynamic shadows turned off)
Frames: 5660 - Time: 100698ms - Avg: 56.208 - Min: 38 - Max: 62

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
what?! i didn't help?
Lol yes sorry forgot.

Yes, you do want your RAM running in dual channel mode it, will make a difference, not a big one perhaps but every increase is good and if you are still using a 32bit OS then you would be better off with 2GB in dual channel as opposed to 3GB in single channel.
I've had single sticks show as dual channel by CPUz.

Yeah i have a 32bit OS and it would cost 50 bucks for another stick, even though it was 20 when i freaking bought it :fou:. And I'm not sure if I would be better off with a faster 2gb or just to have more ram, because i do in fact still have my other 1GB stick that I replaced. However, I thought at the time that i would still be better off having a larger capacity since most people don't need more than 3/4 gb anyway and i planned to buy another up until, you know it doubled in price.

your CPU will not hold back TF2, more then anything it is a connection issue.
Are you sure about that? Because i just think tf2 badly needs a performance update which I hear is supposed to come out after the engi update. However it does annoy the hell out of me that I can get 100-200+ fps in half life 2/counterstrike/any original source engine game but when it comes to the orange box engine I will get significant drops due to it being more processor heavy. My internet connection is fine in all other games and I have my rate/ticrate commands set correctly so if a connection issue was really affecting my fps please let me know how i could fix it lol.

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I would not waste $50 on a RAM stick that is already outdated for minimal performance increase.
My point exactly.

the connection issue may be on the server side
yeah i guess 30 player servers will do it lol.

But yeah the last question is, am i truly better off with 3gb of single channel or 2gb of dual? After that I'll choose best answer and be done with this thread because you guys have been great so far.

rishooty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Well then i guess i will have to try that for myself. Thanks guys for your replies, you have all been very helpful and i plan to come to toms hardware more often when i have no idea about something and google just isn't doing it for me ;D.