Help with server

Tags:
  • IP
  • Default Gateway
  • Servers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 5, 2010 12:30:50 AM

I am trying to set up an active domain on my home network but i have run into a few problems.

First off the setup of the network is as follows:

The first problem i am having is setting up the static ip for the DNS.
The clients and server auto assign the ips to be:

ip address = ip of router
subnet = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = ip of modem

I then change these to:

ip address = ip between 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254
subnet = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = ip of modem

the client or the server wont connect to the internet? How do i solve this problem?

The second problem i am having is connecting the clients to the domain. Regardless of the settings I have for the Tp/ICP i always get the same error which is:

how do i solve this problem?

cheers raf.

More about : server

April 5, 2010 12:35:15 AM

what type of OS is your server using? Is dhcp enabled on it?
April 5, 2010 12:37:32 AM

um i am using windows server 2003.

How would i check if DCHP is enabled?
April 5, 2010 12:42:32 AM

DCHP, is what will give your machines in the network they're ip's. Most home networks the routers run DHCP and hand out ips to the machines.
If DHCP is running on your server as well it could be causing some issues. Im not exactly sure where its located in 2003 but it should be somewhere in the add/remove server roles. (i believe this window pops up upon reboot of the server.)
April 5, 2010 12:54:03 AM

The DCHP server hasn't been set up on the server. Just file sharing, Active directory and DNS
April 5, 2010 1:06:35 AM

Wait, your making your server a dns server? You may have to check with your ISP, most dont allow static ip's. Making a home server useful but any outside access is limited. Why are u making it a DNS server anyway?
April 5, 2010 1:14:33 AM

i wanna make a server which an account can log onto different computers(clients) because my family use different computers to do word processing etc and i am sick of transferring their files through the network or explaining to them how to use a folder which is share across the network ( they are all computer illiterate)
April 5, 2010 1:17:07 AM

Gotcha, you should check with your ISP about the static IP. But If I may, I suggest you use Windows Home Server OS instead of 2003. It does not need a static ip and you can easily set it up in a home network and set each user with a shared network folder.
April 5, 2010 1:18:27 AM

where can i get it?
April 5, 2010 1:21:24 AM

and will this allow a user to log on to any computer in the house and have the same settings and files?
!