Which drives and directories will System Restore NOT touch ?

May 26, 2005 6:42:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
created will no longer be there.

But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
to "restore"?

What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
there?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:52:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

System restore is not supposed to delete personal files, but it can and
will do it at times.
I have witnessed it myself in several cases with people trying to use
system restore so they can export registry keys, then undo the sys
restore to re-import the keys and they are gone after the undo.
To get around this, you should put the files you dont want touched in
the My Documents folder, as it is not monitored by sys restore.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

You misinterpret what System Restore does. It does not (as you now know)
recover lost files. What it does do is recover a system "state" where things
were (hopefully) working correctly. SR generally only affects system files,
not user-created ones.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
> even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
> and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
> created will no longer be there.
>
> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
> to "restore"?
>
> What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
> there?

May 26, 2005 9:56:05 AM

System Restore isn't necessary on non-Windows partitions &
should be disabled on those drives. Placing "Personal" data in
a system folder probably wasn't a design consideration when
XP's SR was created. As a general rule, it's best to store all
or most user data on a separate partition away from Windows.
It makes backups easier & allows Imaging programs to restore
Windows without affecting personal data.
System Restore is basically a "Quick Fix" or back out process
to undo a recent change and not a substitute for backups/Images.

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
> even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
> and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
> created will no longer be there.
>
> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
> to "restore"?
>
> What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
> there?

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:03:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
| even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
| and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
| created will no longer be there.
|
| But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
| System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
| to "restore"?
|
| What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
| Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
| there?

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:33:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Wylbur,

Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or two newsgroups
will do.

< inline >
wylbur37 wrote:
> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
> the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
> as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
> to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
> longer be there.

What type of files are you referring to? If the files you are
referring to are system files or monitored file, then yes, theses
files will be effected by the restore.
List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
> to "restore"?

System Restore does not monitor the My Documents folder(s).

> What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll
> always be there?

If there is another partition on the drive that contains data files,
files not monitored by SR, of files that you do not way SR to touch,
then don't let SR monitor it.
Disable a monitored drive.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yep, and system will only screw your system half as much as go-back
will :)
May 26, 2005 10:21:05 PM

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
> even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
> and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
> created will no longer be there.

> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
> to "restore"?

As you found out, SR can sometimes screw with you! Basic rule is that it
DOES NOT monitor anything in \Documents and Settings\... That's where you
should put all your personal stuff. Old DOS/WIN3 method of making
directories at the root of the drive for various purposes no longer
applies, always put your stuff in My Documents and below.

If you have more than one Drive (volume really), you can turn off SR for
those volumes that you don't want it to monitor.

------

System Restore is NOT like Go Back - it is for monitoring SYSTEM FILES,
not PERSONAL FILES.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:42:24 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:21:05 -0000, frodo@theshire.org wrote:

> Basic rule is that it
> DOES NOT monitor anything in \Documents and Settings\...

Except the desktop. Do not store downloaded .EXE files on the desktop -
move those if you don't want them gone. BTDT
Move the files to another folder (or create a <drive letter>:\Download
folder and use it) and then run System Restore.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the system files and Program
Files and E: contains all my data files. I did not know you could turn off
SR from certain drives and it seems logical to turn SR off on my data
partition. Does that make sense?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o Ys6f$fYFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Wylbur,
>
> Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or two newsgroups will
> do.
>
> < inline >
> wylbur37 wrote:
>> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
>> the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
>> as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
>> to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
>> longer be there.
>
> What type of files are you referring to? If the files you are referring to
> are system files or monitored file, then yes, theses files will be
> effected by the restore.
> List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html
>
>> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
>> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
>> to "restore"?
>
> System Restore does not monitor the My Documents folder(s).
>
>> What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
>> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll
>> always be there?
>
> If there is another partition on the drive that contains data files, files
> not monitored by SR, of files that you do not way SR to touch, then don't
> let SR monitor it.
> Disable a monitored drive.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:43:03 PM

In news:o XQ93OwYFHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Jeff <jeff@phony.com> typed:

> I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the system
> files and
> Program Files and E: contains all my data files. I did not
> know you
> could turn off SR from certain drives and it seems logical to
> turn SR
> off on my data partition. Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. System restore does nothing for your data
files anyway.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 11:00:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Jeff,

In addition Ken's correct answer, you may want to also check out the
Keep System Restore Healthy page. There further information on
adjusting the amount of disk space SR uses.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html

--

Jeff wrote:
> I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the
> system files and Program Files and E: contains all my
> data files. I did not know you could turn off SR from
> certain drives and it seems logical to turn SR off on my
> data partition. Does that make sense?
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o Ys6f$fYFHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Wylbur,
>>
>> Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or
>> two newsgroups will do.
>>
>> < inline >
>> wylbur37 wrote:
>>> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
>>> the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
>>> as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
>>> to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
>>> longer be there.
>>
>> What type of files are you referring to? If the files
>> you are referring to are system files or monitored file,
>> then yes, theses files will be effected by the restore.
>> List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html
>>
>>> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive
>>> that System Restore doesn't care about and therefore
>>> won't bother to "restore"?
>>
>> System Restore does not monitor the My Documents
>> folder(s).
>>> What about drives other than C: (such as D:) ?
>>> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume
>>> they'll always be there?
>>
>> If there is another partition on the drive that contains
>> data files, files not monitored by SR, of files that you
>> do not way SR to touch, then don't let SR monitor it.
>> Disable a monitored drive.
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
May 28, 2005 7:37:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you both.

--

news:o Q2sW$wYFHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!