Which drives and directories will System Restore NOT touch ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
created will no longer be there.

But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
to "restore"?

What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
there?
12 answers Last reply
More about which drives directories system restore touch
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    System restore is not supposed to delete personal files, but it can and
    will do it at times.
    I have witnessed it myself in several cases with people trying to use
    system restore so they can export registry keys, then undo the sys
    restore to re-import the keys and they are gone after the undo.
    To get around this, you should put the files you dont want touched in
    the My Documents folder, as it is not monitored by sys restore.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    You misinterpret what System Restore does. It does not (as you now know)
    recover lost files. What it does do is recover a system "state" where things
    were (hopefully) working correctly. SR generally only affects system files,
    not user-created ones.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
    > even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
    > and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
    > created will no longer be there.
    >
    > But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    > System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    > to "restore"?
    >
    > What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    > Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
    > there?

    System Restore isn't necessary on non-Windows partitions &
    should be disabled on those drives. Placing "Personal" data in
    a system folder probably wasn't a design consideration when
    XP's SR was created. As a general rule, it's best to store all
    or most user data on a separate partition away from Windows.
    It makes backups easier & allows Imaging programs to restore
    Windows without affecting personal data.
    System Restore is basically a "Quick Fix" or back out process
    to undo a recent change and not a substitute for backups/Images.

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
    > even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
    > and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
    > created will no longer be there.
    >
    > But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    > System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    > to "restore"?
    >
    > What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    > Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
    > there?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
    | even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
    | and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
    | created will no longer be there.
    |
    | But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    | System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    | to "restore"?
    |
    | What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    | Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll always be
    | there?

    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Wylbur,

    Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or two newsgroups
    will do.

    < inline >
    wylbur37 wrote:
    > If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
    > the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
    > as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
    > to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
    > longer be there.

    What type of files are you referring to? If the files you are
    referring to are system files or monitored file, then yes, theses
    files will be effected by the restore.
    List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

    > But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    > System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    > to "restore"?

    System Restore does not monitor the My Documents folder(s).

    > What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    > Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll
    > always be there?

    If there is another partition on the drive that contains data files,
    files not monitored by SR, of files that you do not way SR to touch,
    then don't let SR monitor it.
    Disable a monitored drive.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Yep, and system will only screw your system half as much as go-back
    will :)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on the C: drive,
    > even if it's not a "system" directory such as "\windows\system32",
    > and then run System Restore back to two days ago, the file that I just
    > created will no longer be there.

    > But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    > System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    > to "restore"?

    As you found out, SR can sometimes screw with you! Basic rule is that it
    DOES NOT monitor anything in \Documents and Settings\... That's where you
    should put all your personal stuff. Old DOS/WIN3 method of making
    directories at the root of the drive for various purposes no longer
    applies, always put your stuff in My Documents and below.

    If you have more than one Drive (volume really), you can turn off SR for
    those volumes that you don't want it to monitor.

    ------

    System Restore is NOT like Go Back - it is for monitoring SYSTEM FILES,
    not PERSONAL FILES.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:21:05 -0000, frodo@theshire.org wrote:

    > Basic rule is that it
    > DOES NOT monitor anything in \Documents and Settings\...

    Except the desktop. Do not store downloaded .EXE files on the desktop -
    move those if you don't want them gone. BTDT
    Move the files to another folder (or create a <drive letter>:\Download
    folder and use it) and then run System Restore.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the system files and Program
    Files and E: contains all my data files. I did not know you could turn off
    SR from certain drives and it seems logical to turn SR off on my data
    partition. Does that make sense?

    --

    Jeff Stevens
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Wylbur,
    >
    > Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or two newsgroups will
    > do.
    >
    > < inline >
    > wylbur37 wrote:
    >> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
    >> the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
    >> as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
    >> to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
    >> longer be there.
    >
    > What type of files are you referring to? If the files you are referring to
    > are system files or monitored file, then yes, theses files will be
    > effected by the restore.
    > List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html
    >
    >> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive that
    >> System Restore doesn't care about and therefore won't bother
    >> to "restore"?
    >
    > System Restore does not monitor the My Documents folder(s).
    >
    >> What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    >> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume they'll
    >> always be there?
    >
    > If there is another partition on the drive that contains data files, files
    > not monitored by SR, of files that you do not way SR to touch, then don't
    > let SR monitor it.
    > Disable a monitored drive.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:OXQ93OwYFHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Jeff <jeff@phony.com> typed:

    > I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the system
    > files and
    > Program Files and E: contains all my data files. I did not
    > know you
    > could turn off SR from certain drives and it seems logical to
    > turn SR
    > off on my data partition. Does that make sense?

    Yes, it makes sense. System restore does nothing for your data
    files anyway.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Jeff,

    In addition Ken's correct answer, you may want to also check out the
    Keep System Restore Healthy page. There further information on
    adjusting the amount of disk space SR uses.
    Keeping System Restore Healthy
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html

    --

    Jeff wrote:
    > I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the
    > system files and Program Files and E: contains all my
    > data files. I did not know you could turn off SR from
    > certain drives and it seems logical to turn SR off on my
    > data partition. Does that make sense?
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Wylbur,
    >>
    >> Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or
    >> two newsgroups will do.
    >>
    >> < inline >
    >> wylbur37 wrote:
    >>> If I create or copy a file onto most any subdirectory on
    >>> the C: drive, even if it's not a "system" directory such
    >>> as "\windows\system32", and then run System Restore back
    >>> to two days ago, the file that I just created will no
    >>> longer be there.
    >>
    >> What type of files are you referring to? If the files
    >> you are referring to are system files or monitored file,
    >> then yes, theses files will be effected by the restore.
    >> List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html
    >>
    >>> But aren't there certain subdirectories on the C: drive
    >>> that System Restore doesn't care about and therefore
    >>> won't bother to "restore"?
    >>
    >> System Restore does not monitor the My Documents
    >> folder(s).
    >>> What about drives other than C: (such as D:)?
    >>> Is it safe to put files anywhere on D: and assume
    >>> they'll always be there?
    >>
    >> If there is another partition on the drive that contains
    >> data files, files not monitored by SR, of files that you
    >> do not way SR to touch, then don't let SR monitor it.
    >> Disable a monitored drive.
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thank you both.

    --

    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > In addition Ken's correct answer, you may want to also check out the Keep
    > System Restore Healthy page. There further information on adjusting the
    > amount of disk space SR uses.
    > Keeping System Restore Healthy
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Jeff wrote:
    >> I have my drive partitioned so that c: contains the
    >> system files and Program Files and E: contains all my
    >> data files. I did not know you could turn off SR from
    >> certain drives and it seems logical to turn SR off on my
    >> data partition. Does that make sense?
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Wylbur,
    >>>
    >>> Please, there is no need to such cross posting. One or
    >>> two newsgroups will do.
    >>>
    >>> < inline >
    >>>
    >>> What type of files are you referring to? If the files
    >>> you are referring to are system files or monitored file,
    >>> then yes, theses files will be effected by the restore.
    >>> List of Files and Folders System Restore Monitors
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

    >>> System Restore does not monitor the My Documents
    >>> folder(s).
    >>>
    >>> If there is another partition on the drive that contains
    >>> data files, files not monitored by SR, of files that you
    >>> do not way SR to touch, then don't let SR monitor it.
    >>> Disable a monitored drive.
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/drivedisable.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

Configuration Microsoft System Restore Windows XP