Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
CPU: core i5 2500k

MOBO: AsRock P67 Extreme4

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 4GB (2x2GB) F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

PSU: OCZ MODXSTREAM-PRO 500W

GPU: HIS RADEON 6850HD

SSD: AGILITY 3 120GB

Sorry to re-post, but I thought this issue was resolved. I'm having a problem running my system with a dual channel memory kit. If I put the memory in Slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 my system will not boot up. I cant even get into bios, the motherboard has a clr bios button on it that lights up. If I put the memory in slots 1 and 2 i can boot up and it recognizes both sticks of memory but as single channel. I have tried all the slots individually and they work.

I replaced the memory with a different type of G.Skill that was listed on the mobo website (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ). I'm still having the same problem. I have checked the timing and cas to make sure it matches up with the suggested settings for the memory and it does. I even upped the voltage from 1.50 to 1.575 and still nothing. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some setting that is causing it to not work dual channel. I know most likely the board needs to be replaced but I would like to make that my last option.

vickca86

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Leaps-from-Shadows I will keep the CPU in mind but when I was installing the CPU I thought that one or two of the prongs on the motherboard where you place the CPU were bent. I went ahead RMA'd the mobo with advanced shipping.

Should I clean and reapply thermal compound on the CPU? Or will whatever is already on there be ok?

Yes, each time you remove the heat sink you should clean the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink and then re-apply more thermal compound. I use rubbing alcohol and those round makeup removal pads to clean the CPU and heat sink.

And good luck with the new mainboard. I hope that fixes your problem.