Sign in with
Your question

Want to buy system in ~2 weeks, looking for an all-clear. ~1300USD

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 15, 2010 4:48:05 PM

Hello there, hope everyone's enjoying the final days of the academic summer. I'm headed back to school soon and plan on piecing together a new desktop when I get back to the States. Here's what I've got so far:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 08/27/10

BUDGET RANGE: 1300 after rebates.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Computational Fluid Dynamics

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, I'll hold off on a sound card.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD xII 1055t, EVGA

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, unless I can be convinced that it's a waste of ~$250

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Looking at 1920 x 1080 right now

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet's always good in my book. Of course I'd like it to last a while, but I think that goes without saying.

***************************Currently Selected Parts******************************

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard/PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W combo with ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

GPU(s): 2x EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
I particularly like EVGA's lifetime warranty. Any thoughts on the EVGA 1GB GTX 460 EE model? Could be convinced not to run SLI, but I think that getting these two cards will allow me to kick most games that come out for a while in the balls with impunity.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
My knowledge of RAM is certainly lacking compared to my knowledge of GPUs / CPUs. Any references to brush up on this subject would be appreciated.

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Monitor: ASUS MS238H Glossy Black 23" 2ms Ring stand & Ergo-fit LED backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design
Any issues with LED backlit monitors? Anyone have any personal experience with this monitor?

Free junk Newegg throws in to make me feel better about blowing a ton of cash: 2x SC2 trial, $10 gift card

Total before/after rebates: $1302.90/$1257.90
August 15, 2010 4:59:40 PM

This is what happens when you don't do reasearch...

Never ever never never ever never no with SLI/Crossfire first. Buy a better single card and add another later.

That motherboard doesn't even support SLI!!

ATi GPUs work better with AMD, I would get a 5850/5870
like this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good build after those changes ^
m
l
August 15, 2010 5:03:45 PM

That motherboard unfortunately does not support SLI, and it would not be recommended for CrossFire, as the 2nd PCI-E 2.0 slot runs at x4.

Personally, I don't like to go SLI/CrossFire at the start of a build. It's generally better to buy the single biggest graphics card you can afford, and then add another only when it starts to slip. Alternatively, if there's a new generation out that provides better performance, buy a completely new card. For less than the $460ish the 2x GTX 460s is going to cost, you could buy an ATI 5870. It won't be quite as capable, but the 5870 handles pretty much every modern game at 1920x1080. The XFX 5870 is in combo with an 80+ Silver XFX 750W PSU for $480 -$40 promo code on the GPU (and another -$20 MIR if you want to deal with that).

This is the motherboard I would go with if you want to leave your options for CrossFire open in the future. Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3.

That's an excellent RAM choice, there isn't really much to know beyond 1600 MHz & CL7 is the current sweet spot for value overclocking.

The HSF doesn't appear to be compatible with socket AM3, take a look at Frostytech's Top "5" Heatsinks and see if there's something else that fits your needs. I have the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, as it offers a good blend of performance and low noise (also it was one of the few that would fit in my narrow full tower).

EDIT: To clear up a misconception. ATI/AMD does not work better together. Any combination of Intel/AMD & ATI/nVidia is fine...for a single-card solution. It's only when you add SLI/CrossFire into the mix that things get weird. Even then, it's largely just that most AMD mobos don't support SLI.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2010 5:13:31 PM

Yes as I said,
Never ever never never ever never no with SLI/Crossfire first. Buy a better single card and add another later.
m
l
August 15, 2010 5:16:29 PM

Mr Pizza said:
Yes as I said,

I was responding to your point #3, which is inaccurate/incomplete.
m
l
August 15, 2010 5:22:07 PM

well... :lol:  yes i was exaggerating :p 

why so cereal coldsleep :lol: 
m
l
!