Sign in with
Your question

1090T overclock in turbo mode???

Last response: in CPUs
October 28, 2010 11:48:07 AM

Hy, i came to this site because i hope you can help me here, all other sites in my country are a little dump or lazzy not answering my questions, so pls try and help me, tnx

I'm building myself a new pc because i have a huge bottleneck off my cpu and other things (motherboard, psu, hdd) so i decided to make it from scratch.

I'm really an amd fan so i allways wanted to make myself an amd gaming pc.

Im going to take the amd phenom 1090T x6 BE CPU.

I know all the latest games still support only 2 or 4 cores and not je 6 cores. And then comes the turbo technology from AMD and lowers that cores which arent in use and "overclocks" the other cores.

Lets say my cpu works on 6 cores on 3,2 ghz and when turbo technology activates on 4 cores it overclocks them on 3,4 ghz and downclocks the other unusable cores.

So, my question is if I am going to overclock all the 6 cores lets say from 3.2 to 3,8 ghz, will the turbo tehnology give me on 4 cores and overclock to 3,6 ghz???

do you understand me???
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
October 28, 2010 12:25:21 PM

I'm not the Thuban expert around here but I did have a few hours to play with one. I think your gaming would function at a higher level with Turbo disabled - this will negate any potential drawback from 'core-hopping'.

I believe your question revolves around whether you will be using the clock or the CPU multiplier for your overclock. AMD turbo works by manipulating the multiplier. With the stock 1090T, the turbo will increase the CPU multiplier from x16 to as much as x18.

If you raise the stock multiplier from x16 to x19, it is my understanding that the AMD turbo will bump to x21.

If you OC with the clock at stock, the processor will simply bump the x16 multiplier to x18 times the frequency.

For your overall benefit it may be to your advantage to purchase a 1055T, and invest in a nice motherboard. With turbo disabled you should be able to run 14x270MHz on all cores to achieve your desired clocks; and with good power management (either C&Q, K10Stat or PhenomTweaker) drop back the multi at low system demand.

Here is a look at some of my fun ...

You might be able to game with that :) 

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 1:08:10 PM

All 6 cores stable, at 4.2 GHz?! Niiiice....
Related resources
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
October 28, 2010 2:26:06 PM

Herr_Koos said:
All 6 cores stable, at 4.2 GHz?! Niiiice....

It was all AMD & Asus :lol:  I was just along for the ride.

I didn't test at load more than 10 minutes because temps got to 65c (on an old Opty cooler) and I didn't want to take any chances on screwing something up.

October 28, 2010 8:06:29 PM

dude you didnt???? XD 4,2 ghz? can it go to 4,0 ghz and be stable?? please say yes xD am well if the 1055t goes all the way 4,0+ is the 1090t going any further? ok im going to turn off the turbo mode, i did thought about that, hey tell me waht must i look when buying a motherboard, i just allways look if it has crossfirex enabled, I just know for that info, nothing more, could you tell me?
October 28, 2010 8:08:53 PM

and oh yeah i want 1090t because it has unlocked multiplayer...in fact, did you raise the FSB or what?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2010 9:02:00 PM

Wisecracker said:
I'm not the Thuban expert around here but I did have a few hours to play with one. I think your gaming would function at a higher level with Turbo disabled - this will negate any potential drawback from 'core-hopping'.

I believe your question revolves around whether you will be using the clock or the CPU multiplier for your overclock. AMD turbo works by manipulating the multiplier. With the stock 1090T, the turbo will increase the CPU multiplier from x16 to as much as x18.

If you raise the stock multiplier from x16 to x19, it is my understanding that the AMD turbo will bump to x21.

If you OC with the clock at stock, the processor will simply bump the x16 multiplier to x18 times the frequency.

For your overall benefit it may be to your advantage to purchase a 1055T, and invest in a nice motherboard. With turbo disabled you should be able to run 14x270MHz on all cores to achieve your desired clocks; and with good power management (either C&Q, K10Stat or PhenomTweaker) drop back the multi at low system demand.

Here is a look at some of my fun ...

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/AMD%20Overlords/785g-evo_x6-4-2GHz.jpg

You might be able to game with that :) 

1.5 vCore is WAY to high
a c 110 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
October 29, 2010 1:59:03 AM

hiti3 said:
dude you didnt???? XD 4,2 ghz? can it go to 4,0 ghz and be stable?? please say yes xD am well if the 1055t goes all the way 4,0+ is the 1090t going any further? ok im going to turn off the turbo mode, i did thought about that, hey tell me waht must i look when buying a motherboard, i just allways look if it has crossfirex enabled, I just know for that info, nothing more, could you tell me?

hiti3 said:
and oh yeah i want 1090t because it has unlocked multiplayer...in fact, did you raise the FSB or what?

Yup. You need to do a little homework on the motherboard and what options are available to you in the BIOS for the x6.

Once again, I'm not the **x6 Guru** but the most important option (to me) would be the ability to disable turbo. The ability to fine-tune the Vcore is also very important. The issue you are going to find is that current motherboards were not really designed, nor are they optimized, to take full advantage of the x6s. See below for some more comments on the issues of tweaking the x6.

As far as your gaming is concerned, you will actually get a lot more mileage out of something like the Asus M4A78T-E // Phenom 955BE combo for $220 after rebate (if you are in the USA). That's a new HD6850, right there, with the $$ you saved :)  (or a retail version of W7 that you can move to a new mobo)

Snipergod87 said:
1.5 vCore is WAY to high

I'm an over-clocking/under-volting kinda guy. If I could have found a way to cut the Vcore in any fashion I would have done it -- LOL -- IIRC my 'increments' were 'only' +.1v.

Otherwise, CPUz (and HWMonitor) voltage readings were off with the motherboard. Readings were much better on PC Probe, but that didn't account for some of the other craziness I encountered.

There were voltage fluctuations and a clock 'bounce' until I updated the BIOS. The update allowed me to disable Turbo which helped smooth over those issues -- only problem was the Vcore adjustment was somewhat borked with Turbo disabled and I had to leave it on Auto.

For the price/performance I think the x6s are an engineering marvel (especially for video transcoding). I hope they are not 'abandoned' with the move to BD, and that AM3+ further refines Thuban optimization in hardware and in BIOS tweaks.

October 29, 2010 8:49:35 AM

well i realy wanted the x6 because i think in latter years it will be better than x4 because it has more cores and so, and i want to have it too for productivity and record games when im gaming, that kinda thing.
October 29, 2010 8:51:10 AM

oh je again, how did you OC'd it? raising FSB?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 10:37:21 AM

hiti3 said:
oh je again, how did you OC'd it? raising FSB?

His base clock is at 300MHz vs the normal 200, so yes.
October 29, 2010 11:34:34 AM

isnt that like more difficult and your realy pushing hard on your motherboard, the multiplayer does it more eficient right?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2010 12:56:09 PM

Raising the base clock affects just about every component on the board, so it can be more risky, yes. The multiplier only affects the CPU.
October 29, 2010 1:22:36 PM

yeah true, i dunno i ll probalby go for the 1090t because it has unlocked multiplayer and some good price/performance mobo.
!