Which graphics manufacturer

arktik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I have been debating on video cards and I have always gotten an nvidia because the one time i saw my friend get a top of the line ATI it didnt cut it. But after reading about the 5850 I am really leaning toward it (i currently have a GTX 280 but its slowly crapping out, it cant support even dual monitor anymore, it started with not being able to run aero on a 2nd monitor and other smaller issues to just not being able to see 2 monitors lol).

So assuming im getting it (which i probably will lol), which manufacturer would you guys recommend? I was leaning toward XFX because I have always heard great things about them. However, I saw a video of Asus providing some pretty nice software with their video cards to overclock it rather easily. Do you guys know if XFX has similiar thing?

Thanks for any input guy,

Arktik

XFX has a lifetime warranty, while ASUS comes with the bonus stuff. Do you intend to OC? If so then the ASUS is the better choice, but if you arent going to try to get a max OC out of it, it doesnt really matter what card you get, dont pay too much extra for a slight OC.

arktik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
luckily its only a $5 difference

XFX: http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-HD585XZAFC/dp/B0037YOIMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278787395&sr=8-2

Asus: http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Radeon-HD5850-GDDR5-5850PE51G/dp/B002Q6RNTM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278787998&sr=8-2

The only real reason im wanting to overclock is because of how well it does, and to get most for the money. I hear you can take it to 5870 speeds very easily with no temp problems at all. But ya your right, I would go with the XFX if it werent for that software thing. I dunno, anyone out there have an XFX that came with any overclocking software? I know I can just go download like 3 peices of software to do same thing but its nice having it all built in and straight from the manufacturer so you know its least likely to jack you up lol.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
I'd reccomend XFX. videocards do have long term issues, especially if you're using it under load for years at a time. I had an XFX back in the 6800gt days, it dies after like 2 years and in 2 weeks they sent me a new 8800gt free of charge. Since that service was so great, I always stick with them.

TRENDING THREADS