New PC - HDD failure ?

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
On w/end PC started booting up and would go into "preparing desktop" and load a default profile .... and all program icons defaulted.
I have W7 64bit OS on an SSD ... but all programs & saved docs are on an HDD .....

I noticed that the HDD no longer shows in 'My computer"

I did try connecting it via a Sandberg all-in-one device:
http://www.sandberg.it/product/USB-All-In-1-Hard-Disk-Link

HDD does spin up, but still does not show in 'My Computer'

This is only a couple of months old and under warranty so can get it replaced, but would liketo get access to 'my documents' on it first, as it is spinning up, are there any diagnostics / HDD utitlities that might help ........

It is a Western Digital Caviar Balck 1TB

I bought the Caviar Black as they are supposed to be more reliable that the 'Blue' I had previoulsy.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Did try datalifeguard ... no luck ... boith when in PC and when tried with another PC via a SATA to USB adapter.

In both cases drives spins up, but nothing else.

Put HD back in original PC ... and it is not detected under BIOS.

Raised a Tkt with WD support ........ all they said was, if not being detected by OS, then replace it under warranty.

This is a bitch as will mean any emails / pic / docs since last backup (PC build time) will be lost. :(

I'm guessing that there are no cheap routes to data recovery.

A very 'simple' Q ......... if I got another identical drive .... can you easily swap the disk platter assembly from one drive to another .... looking at it, appears as if the HDD is a 5" drive unit with a small interface PCB & connector strip ...
If I could move the disk platter assembly to the new interface .. just to be able to recover docs ?

Is that practical ?

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
typos in previous msg so re-post (it won't let me edit)

Did try datalifeguard ... no luck ... both when in PC and when tried with another PC via a SATA to USB adapter.

In both cases drives spins up, but nothing else.
Put HD back in original PC ... and it is not detected under BIOS.

Raised a Tkt with WD support ........ all they said was, if not being detected by OS, then replace it under warranty.
This is a bitch as will mean any emails / pic / docs since last backup (PC build time) will be lost. :(
I'm guessing that there are no cheap routes to data recovery.

A very 'simple' Q ......... if I got another identical drive .... can you easily swap the disk platter assembly from one drive to another .... looking at it, appears as if the HDD is a platter drive assembly with a small interface PCB & connector strip ...
If I could move the disk platter assembly to the new interface .. just to be able to recover docs ?

Is that practical ?