Sign in with
Your question

If shorted my motherboard will other comonents be damaged?

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2010 6:38:53 PM

I was trying to plug in a cable to the back of the computer and one of the slot shields in the back of the computer fell onto my video card because it was loose.
Nothing happened and the computer was on. I opened my side panel and as i was about to take off the metal i pushed it against the motherboard and the computer just instantly turned off. So i tried over and over again but could not re power it. I even swapped the power supply and no luck.
So i disassembled every component (video card, ram cpu)
When I took out the main atx power i realized that if i keep it halfway in/out the red lights on the mobo start flashing on and off quickly.
I will be able to get a new board but i am just concerned about the cpu ram and video card
Is it likely it would have damaged it?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 7:04:33 PM

Uh get the new motherboard and tell us?

All we can give is speculation. Yes you could have, and you might not have. Want to know how to find out? Replace the motherboard, turn it on.
m
l
August 15, 2010 7:12:09 PM

the most likely thing in this case was the motherboard. then the video card (cuz it was right there)
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2010 7:14:03 PM

Yah pretty much
=\
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:17:12 AM

It was only the board that fried
I got a different motherboard I had a biostar 880Gb+ I got a biostar 870+ it was $10 more
Is it possible the old board would have given better performance on games
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2010 11:05:21 AM

Nah not really. So I guess you answered your own question?
m
l
!