Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual channel won't post for asus z68.

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2011 4:58:45 AM

just purchased the P8Z68-V and I am using Corsair Memory modules CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (which is listed as being compatible). One stick in DIMM slot A2 works fine, but trying to run both (in A2 and B2) does not work. Board will not post (red Memory LED on). Initiating the memory test runs the board through all of the memory tests, but still does not work. A1+B1 also does not work.

Running the sticks in single channel (A2+B2) does work and memtest86 passes. Do I have a bad motherboard? Could it be some other issue like a weak power supply (550w)?

thanks
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2011 7:57:57 AM

Press the Mem_OK button (you may have to hold it for a few seconds - check your manual).
m
l
June 22, 2011 11:18:24 AM

PreferLinux said:
Press the Mem_OK button (you may have to hold it for a few seconds - check your manual).

I have tried the mem_OK button. it runs through all of the tests with the reboots and LEB blinking until finally it just stays on.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 12:32:25 PM

I did misstate above that A2+B2 post in single channel. They post fine when using A1+A2. Any combination of the B slots does not work. This morning I tried one stick of ram in both B1 and B2 and neither of those post either. I think basically both B banks are dead.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2011 10:49:59 PM

Probably a motherboard problem.
m
l
July 26, 2011 7:08:10 AM

jamfan75 said:
just purchased the P8Z68-V and I am using Corsair Memory modules CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (which is listed as being compatible). One stick in DIMM slot A2 works fine, but trying to run both (in A2 and B2) does not work. Board will not post (red Memory LED on). Initiating the memory test runs the board through all of the memory tests, but still does not work. A1+B1 also does not work.

Running the sticks in single channel (A2+B2) does work and memtest86 passes. Do I have a bad motherboard? Could it be some other issue like a weak power supply (550w)?

thanks

I have the exact same problem with a Brand new Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD motherboard with a i7 2600k CPU and ADATA AX3U1600GB2G9-2G Dual channel kits.

Works in singel channel but turns on for 2 seconds and then off for 2 seconds (This repeats until I switch it off manually).
m
l
July 26, 2011 12:23:27 PM

It turns out I bent some of the motherboard pins on installation. It looked too bad to bend them back so I just picked up another motherboard. I don't think it is covered under warranty by Asus since it was user error on my part, but I have not tried to RMA it. I was more careful with the new board and it's working fine.
m
l
July 26, 2011 1:57:42 PM

Ouch, waiting on the suppliers to give me feedback on my board...

Hope that the bend pins is not the case with me, since I took good care not to bend them
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2011 11:24:45 PM

jamfan75 said:
It turns out I bent some of the motherboard pins on installation. It looked too bad to bend them back so I just picked up another motherboard. I don't think it is covered under warranty by Asus since it was user error on my part, but I have not tried to RMA it. I was more careful with the new board and it's working fine.

Just as I said: motherboard problem.
August 4, 2011 8:10:02 PM

Best answer selected by jamfan75.
m
l
!