Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mobo CPU compatibility question

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 22, 2011 5:06:22 AM

Looking to spice up the GFs pc. She's got a Compaq SR2011WM which currently has a Celeron D. Mobo specs listed here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

Highest listed compatible processor is a Pentium D 900. The specs show the mobo is an LGA775 with 800 or 533 fsb. So, would something like a newer LGA775 800 fsb proc work?
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_Dual-Core/Intel-P...

If not, why wouldn't it?

Regards,
Ryan
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2011 7:58:54 AM

It probably wouldn't work because either it wouldn't have chipset support for it, or no BIOS support.
m
0
l
June 22, 2011 11:59:23 AM

Ah ok. I wasn't sure if I should trust the HP specs or not, like if they were published before the newer processors were made and never updated. Other things like "Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB". So will more memory work, and hp just doesn't approve? Because this PC she bought 5 years ago for like $400 bucks on black friday, I have a feeling I should assume the lowest, but figured I'd ask here.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 4:31:37 PM

Looks like I can get a Pentium D 945 dualcore 3.4Ghz for ~55, wonder if that would be a worthwhile upgrade to the single core 3.2Ghz celeron that's currently in the machine.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2011 10:58:31 PM

The Pentium D would probably be quite a bit faster, just make sure it has a good cooler. As far as I can see, the chipset supports 4 GB of RAM, so it may work.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2011 12:41:58 AM

oryan_dunn said:
Looks like I can get a Pentium D 945 dualcore 3.4Ghz for ~55, wonder if that would be a worthwhile upgrade to the single core 3.2Ghz celeron that's currently in the machine.

Yep, it would be worth it.
m
0
l
June 30, 2011 3:06:13 PM

So, for 80bucks, I got a Radeon 512mb 5450, the Pentium D 945 and a 1GB stick of ram, to go from 1.5GB to 2GB. The new video card and proc work just fine. Just reformatted and put Win7 back on, so I'll get some benchmarks a bit later.

However, get this. The machine came with 512MB of ram and about 4 years ago, I put in the 1GB stick. I ordered the exact same model stick of ram, but the new one doesn't work. It looks like the old is a 16 chip memory stick, and the new one is an 8chip. Either one works in the machine alone, but they don't work together. I didn't think modern PCs had problems with RAM like that.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2011 10:19:05 PM

How do you define "modern"? I wouldn't really call that modern.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2011 11:14:47 PM

oryan_dunn said:
So, for 80bucks, I got a Radeon 512mb 5450, the Pentium D 945 and a 1GB stick of ram, to go from 1.5GB to 2GB. The new video card and proc work just fine. Just reformatted and put Win7 back on, so I'll get some benchmarks a bit later.

However, get this. The machine came with 512MB of ram and about 4 years ago, I put in the 1GB stick. I ordered the exact same model stick of ram, but the new one doesn't work. It looks like the old is a 16 chip memory stick, and the new one is an 8chip. Either one works in the machine alone, but they don't work together. I didn't think modern PCs had problems with RAM like that.


Well, if it works by itself then it works. The two sticks don't seem to run in dual channel mode, which is something altogether different. Some motherboards require certain slots to be populated for dual channel mode. Often it is two with the same color, or un-intuitively every other slot. So if you have more than two ram slots, I would try a different config. If you have the owners manual, it will surely tell you how to properly populate the ram. If you have a model number for the PC, you can usually DL the manual from the manufacturers web site.
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 3:18:24 PM

PreferLinux said:
How do you define "modern"? I wouldn't really call that modern.


SLAM! lol. Well, it's the most modern desktop machine I have. Besides this, I'm rocking an Athlon XP 2900+, so yeah, this is modern for me.


buzznut said:
Well, if it works by itself then it works. The two sticks don't seem to run in dual channel mode, which is something altogether different. Some motherboards require certain slots to be populated for dual channel mode. Often it is two with the same color, or un-intuitively every other slot. So if you have more than two ram slots, I would try a different config. If you have the owners manual, it will surely tell you how to properly populate the ram. If you have a model number for the PC, you can usually DL the manual from the manufacturers web site.


Well, the mobo only has 2 slots and is only single channel. Motherboard Specifications, RC410-M (Alhena) [hp.com]
m
0
l
!