No video, no matter what i try

oddbubble

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
after a what can only be described as a meltdown on my desktop i had to resurrect my old rig.

asus sli a8n sli deluxe
2 x 6600 gt(sli)
cant remember what processor
1gb ram(had 4 in at one point)
320gb hd
dvd/rw

it all seamed to be working fine, i had to do a fresh install and i only had a vista disk(i no vista sucks) but i fell asleep while installing it and 6 hours later(when i had woken up) it had frozen at 33% in the installation, this isnt the first time i have had a pc freeze while installing the os, so first i tried to reset and nothing so i had to turn it off at the psu

and now when i start it up my display says that there is no signal, i have tried it on 2 tvs and my monitor and still getting the same result.

i have striped the pc down 2 times now and i still cant seam to be able to work put whats causing it

The only thing that i can think of that could be causing it is the psu as it is only a 400w one and it wasn't built for sli(all i had lying around)

any help you can give me is much appreciated

chears oddbubble

Hi Odd, welcome.
It does look like your PSU is to blame. I assume that you have used just one card for the install and testing.
Either the PSU is no longer up to snuff, or somehow your card(s) operating outside of the refresh rate or resolution.
I would try a BIOS reset and see if you can get into the BIOS to check the Voltasges on the PSU.
Either way though, its time for a PSU upgrade. I can recommend some units if you are ready to buy.

oddbubble

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
thankyou for your reply
yeah i have tried it with one card and with both, i was kinda worried that it had something to do with the failed installation on vista.
can i ask how i would reset the BIOS as i don't have much experience in problem solving
yeah im going to get a new psu as this is going to have to be my rig an till i got the cash to build a more modern one

Typically your motherboard manual will tell you how to reset the BIOS. It usually involves moving a jumper on the motherboard. Procedure typically goes like this:
Turn off the PC.
Remove the power cable from the power supply.
Move jumper from pins 1 and 2 (for example) to pins 2 and 3 for 5 seconds. Then return to pins 1 and 2.
Replace power cable.
Boot PC and enter the BIOS.

troutmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
If your motherboard has onboard display adapters you can try removing both GFX cards and use that for testing purposes. Sure it will be ugly but it will at least eliminate the Mobo out of the equation, and possibly get it working. If it does work add one GFX card and try again. Don't install the other one until you get a bigger PSU.

oddbubble

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I replaced the psu today fitted it and then i was still haveing the same problem, and after swaping part with bits out of my spares box it turns out it was the ram is this normal

its not all bad though now my psu can handle more then 1 hard drive and 1 dvd drive