Gaming card for Dell 8400

xcherubx

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hey everyone,

I oringinally posted this in hte Windows XP forum b/c my computer runs Windows XP....and now I think I posted in the wrong place...OOPS! Sorry XD

Here is the post, please if you could help, I'm getting so many different answers from people. Some say a certain card will work, some say it wont, some say I cant upgrade at all....eeek!

Hi guys and gals,

I'm hoping someone could help me out here. I'm a complete noobie when it comes to upgrading computers. I have a Dell 8400 with the following specs...

I'm looking to upgrade my videocard for videogames. I like to play online games like WoW, and offline ones (wanting to try some Bioware stuff). I need a card that will be able to handle these current games, as well as the upcoming expansion for WoW. Any ideas? My current card is so bad I can barely play anymore. Help!! :heink:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
Motherboard Name Dell Inc. Dimension 8400
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type Phoenix (03/16/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON X300 Series (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON X300 Series (128 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (6418056L02NS)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - AC'97 Audio Controller

Storage:
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JS-75MHB0
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 148954 MB (97722 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Peripherals:
Printer Auto HP Photosmart C4700
Printer Auto HP5344F6 (HP Photosmart C4700 series)
Printer HP Photosmart C4700 series
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

xcherubx

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Will that card be powerful enough to run games like WoW (including the upcoming expansion) as well as some other games?

Also, I was told that there might be issues with connecting videocards up to Dells, this one would hook up ok?

xcherubx

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Great thanks :) I appreciate the help, I think this will hold me over till I can upgrade my entire computer.

Speaking of which, when I do save up enough for a new computer, any recommendations?

xcherubx

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Ok so....I went to go purchase the card, and I'm being told the card is out of stock.. I've tried searching for the same card at other stores but can't find it. Do you know of another card that is the same? Or another SAFE online store to purchase from, that has it in stock??

Also, I read a review of this card and there seemed to be confusion as to whether a DELL has the PCI-Express capability? My 8400 is ok?