Sign in with
Your question

How to partition hard drive without any os?

Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2012 1:19:00 PM

I have deleted the C drive that contained windows 7.
Now before I install windows 8 in it, I want to partition it .

But the OS does not give me any option to partition it.

So should I install windows 8 in 420 GB harddrive and THEN partition it using "windows disk management"

OR

Is there any option to partition it now before I install OS in it?

More about : partition hard drive

November 15, 2012 1:39:21 PM

When you boot to the WIN8 boot loader it will give you the option of selecting your partition size for the OS. just set it to how many MB you want and install then you can set up the other partition after the OS is installed using disk management.
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:20:30 PM

tripledouce said:
When you boot to the WIN8 boot loader it will give you the option of selecting your partition size for the OS. just set it to how many MB you want and install then you can set up the other partition after the OS is installed using disk management.

But I had deleted the drive. So that option has vanished for me.Can we partition the drive from some external programs that run from usb?
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 2:29:33 PM

when you use the new OS Installation CD is wheen the bootloader comes up and you can partition your drive.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 353 G Storage
November 15, 2012 2:40:34 PM

You may need to select the custom install option to select partition size.

For a 3rd party method, you can create a bootable CD with partitiong software:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Preferably, I'd use the windows installation disk. Select custom install and first Remove any and all partitions on the drive. Then select the unpartitiond drive to install to and tell it to only use XXX gigs. Once the Windows installation is completed you can then go into windows disk management and initialize/partition and format the "unused" portion of the disk.

ENJOY
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:18:56 PM

RetiredChief said:
You may need to select the custom install option to select partition size.

For a 3rd party method, you can create a bootable CD with partitiong software:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Preferably, I'd use the windows installation disk. Select custom install and first Remove any and all partitions on the drive. Then select the unpartitiond drive to install to and tell it to only use XXX gigs. Once the Windows installation is completed you can then go into windows disk management and initialize/partition and format the "unused" portion of the disk.

ENJOY

oh means after I give say 100 GB to windows installation, the rest 360 GB will be unallocated.
After installing windows 8 in 100 GB, I can create more partition in "unallocated" 360 GB space using "windows disk management"?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 353 G Storage
November 15, 2012 5:17:00 PM

Yes
The 360 unallocated Gigs can be made into a single, or mutiple partitions using windows disk managment. Have not tried it in windows 8, but should be very simular to win 7.

OR
While at the cutom HDD display you can go ahead and do all the partitions ypou want, then select the one you want to use for the OS (ie the first 100 Gig) - Personnally I prefer the first method, doing the remainder of the HDD under windows.
m
l
!