Problem With Gaming

xSpyke

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hey guys, just joined, and I'm experiencing an odd problem with my GeForce 9600GT (or so I believe it's a GFX problem). For some reason, when I am playing a game, my game freezes for about ten seconds, then all of the graphics in the game go haywire. Below is an example of what happens in StarCraft II:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6836/wtfg.png

Now, I've also had it happen to me in Team Fortress 2, but not nearly as frequently. They usually are worse than the above image, with everything messing up (in TF2 I'd have enemy players showing up as completely black, as well as my own team turning completely blue). I don't have a screenshot of it, but if it happens again, I will grab one. Older games such as Diablo II and StarCraft I don't do it, but these are the only other two games I play as frequently as TF2/SC2. At first I thought it could be artifacts, but I thought artifacts were something completely different.

The rest of my specs are as followed:

Windows XP SP3
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (2.61 GHz)
2GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
Asus M3A78 Motherboard
PNY GeForce9600GT
Seagate 250GB HDD

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Helltech

Distinguished

+1, this is highly probable, use speedfan or some other program to see what your GPU temps are at.

It could also be a driver thing, you could try getting the latest drivers for your card.

xSpyke

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I originally had issues with temps on this card, the fan wasn't running at full speed, but I've fixed that. Even then, though, the temps never went above 65c even under heavy load.

As for drivers, I just updated to the latest nVidia drivers when they came out a week or so ago.

Helltech

Distinguished

Is that also when the problems started?

xSpyke

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
No, they've been happening for about 2 months now, but only in TF2, and very rarely. It just started doing it in the SCII Beta last night, and I thought it was just a TF2 engine bug until then.