Keyboard and Mouse randomly stop responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

4boletaria

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I built my computer about a month ago and have had no problems until recently.

It happens randomly and suddenly, the keyboard AND mouse will just stop responding. The lights on the keyboard and mouse are still on, the computer is still running, the game is still running everything is working fine except the keyboard/mouse are not working. I have tried unplugging them and plugging them back in, in different ports and still they don't work. The only way to fix it is to restart the computer and then they work again. This seems to be happening more and more frequently with each occurrence.

I have tried installing the latest Bios and drivers, Using a different keyboard and mouse, reinstalling windows, running in safe mode and it still happens.

My mobo is a Gigabyte p67a U4 b3 with F3 Bios
Processor: intel i5 2500k
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4600 series
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 650w

Is there anything I can do to fix or diagnose the problem? I want to use Gigabyte's support as a last resort because I've used it before and it took weeks to get a reply.

troutmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hmm, sounds likes a mobo issue to me. Something you can try is connecting a USB Stick in one of the ports, if Windows prompts on screen to say you've connected it something might be up with the Keyboard/mouse drivers, if not could be another issue.

Sometimes I've found PC's that build up static have this issue as well. You can try turning off the machine, disconnecting it from power and then holding down the power button for about 10 seconds. That should discharge any build up. Let me know how that goes

4boletaria

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Thanks troutmonkey. Its pretty convenient that you would say that because just a week before I started having this issue our electric had an issue where it would cut in and out. I tried doing what you said and haven't had it happen again. I'm crossing my fingers that this solved the issue.

Also I didn't know that there were f4 bios out, thanks.

4boletaria

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Well it didn't happen for a day and I just turned my computer on today and it happened right away, then 5 minutes later, then 15 minutes later now its happening every 6-10 minutes as well as random freezes of the mouse and the "just plugged something into the usb port" sound. Seems like the mobo is just flat out dying. I guess its time to begin the long process through Gigabyte. Bah.

I registered on their forum 3 days ago and have yet to receive the confirmation email, I have a feeling its gonna be a while before I get this fixed. Should have went with Asus.

4boletaria

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Well, I finally got a reply from Gigabyte tech support team..

My original Inquiry:

"I built my computer about a month ago and everything went fine, recently I have been having an issue where both my keyboard and mouse will both stop responding. Unplugging and Replugging them in does not solve the issue, switching keyboard/mouse to a different one does not solve the issue. The only thing that works is a hard restart of the computer to get them to work again. This seems to happen randomly, sometimes frequently, aside from that, while I am using the computer the mouse will sometimes freeze or "studder" as if it has been disconnected and reconnected, this, however, happens frequently.

I have tried:

Using a Different Keyboard/Mouse
Updating Bios
Reinstalling Windows
Using different USB ports
Updating all other drivers
Unplugging everything and holding the power button for several seconds to release excess static build-up

None of this solves the problem."

There response was:

"Dear customer,

issue seems Windows has files damaged or software conflicts, do attempt to test keyboard and mouse in CMOS DOS mode, if they works fine in CMOS/ DOS mode, you may need to reload Win764bit by repair then reload all drivers belong to mother board do further test with USB keyboard and mouse again.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team."

So basically they are saying its a problem within windows when I have reformatted and reinstalled windows several times and still have the same problem...

By reloading all drivers that belong to the motherboard, what exactly does that mean?? Is there a way to restore the Mobo to its factory state?

Check your motherboard manual. There should be a way to reset the bios. It will be in the form of either a button to press on the board, or a jumper that needs shorted. Make sure the computer is powered down when you do this.

Any changes you made to the bios will need reset after a clear/reset of the bios.

4boletaria

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Well I just completely cleared the cmos and did a fresh reformat/reinstall of everything and I'm still having the same keyboard and mouse failure. I have tried using 3 different types of wired mouse and keyboards and they still fail randomly in all ports as well as the frequent connection failure with the windows sound that the device has been unplugged and plugged back in.

Do you think something like this is covered under the warranty? And if they do decide to replace it will I have to mail the board to them? That would suck because I don't have one to temporarily replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.