USB3.0 drive writing at less than 5MB/s

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
for the life of me i can not figure out this drive, when im transferring small files (less than 1GB) they sail along at reasonable speeds of 40 to 60MB/s. but then why i try to move something large (a RAW AVI file thats 55GB's) it plods along at slower speeds than my internet connection. (less than 5MB/s)

im using the USB3.0 ports on a ASUS P8Z67-V Pro, it is enabled at both the BIOS and OS. the drive is a Segate FreeAgent GoFlex. both drives are only lightly fragmented (a handful of fragments on both but nothing major)

what in the world am i doing wrong?
(great, it just dropped to 4MB/s...)

update...
managed to find some un-official driver versions for the USB3.0 controller that has managed to give me a few extra KB/s on the 55GB copy however it is still abysmally low at still less than 5MB/s... Driver version is 1.16.2.0

There is more to the transfere speeds then just what the manufacturer posts for it's rated speed. It's also the size of the data being transfered, If you look at any disk drive benchmarking program you will see that there isn't just one speed posted , what they do is test different size and lengths of data that is transfered to the drive and come up with an overall transfere speed. So if you have a fils that has larger data blocks vs a samller file that has smaller data blocks then you get a different speed. So that's why your larger file like a movie will take longer and be slower.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

i am perfectly aware that the quoted speed is different from the actual threw put. however what your saying there is in direct opposition to everything i have ever read or tested with hard drive file transfers. larger continuous files always transfer faster than a bunch of small files. what is bugging me is the fact that the large file write rate of this drive varys form 50MB/s at medium files (500MB to 3GB) but right after that crashes to terribly pour speeds of 4.5MB/s... if this is seriously what is to be expected for large file transfers under, what should be, ideal circumstances with USB3.0 then i really have got to question whats the utility of large externals if they are so slow for large files?

i would also like to add that this drive used to get better speeds on large files. it has only recently started moving at speeds this slow. however sadly i do not have any other USB3.0 hardware to test if its the system or the drive. (large file transfers are identical under a 2.0 port and a 3.0 port)

additional information
RPM: 5400
Capacity: 1.5TB
free space: 500GB
Files in question: a solid 55GB AVi file
copy from and copy to drives are both pristine 0 fragmented files.