ATI HD 4200 (ONBOARD) TROUBLE USING DUAL MONITORS. PLEASE HELP.

kashtr0_305

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
RUNNING WINDOWS 7 64BIT

The motherboard I used for my most recent build is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H which has ATI's HD 4200 on board GPU. I have 2 very generic LCD monitors that each has a VGA output plug. The mobo has 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D and 1 HDMI output. I bought a VGA splitter that allows you to hook up both monitors to one single VGA cable and I plugged that to the VGA output. When I load up windows, only 1 monitor shows and when I go into screen resolution & display properties in both windows & ati catalyst control center and hit identify, it only recognizes 1 monitor. I was thinking maybe I need to buy a VGA to DVI adapter and hook up one monitor to the DVI out and one to the VGA out.

My question is, what do I need to do to get both monitors to work? Can I use the VGA adapter I bought and run both monitors on the single VGA output? If not, what do I need to do?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks TH!

kashtr0_305

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have my gaming computer already with 2x Sapphire 4850 CrossfireX all overclocked to the hilt. This PC I built is for internet browsing, word processing, etc. How can I run both monitors on a single video adapter with the onboard HD4200?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Run one from the VGA plug on the motherboard, run the other from the DVI. If your old monitors don't have DVI, get a DVI-VGA adapter.

Splitting at the VGA is the wrong idea. Theres a reason your motherboard has 3 video ports out.

As far as I know, you can't run dual monitors from the DVI and HDMI, because they share the same signal. But you can run VGA/DVI or VGA/HDMI in a dual monitor set up.

And DVI-VGA is the logical fix.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Do you see a Monitor that says No 2 in Display properites, you need to click it to activate Monitor 2. There should also be some options to extend display to try it out after you double click on the 2nd monitor icon in display properties! You should also check your motherboards manual to see if it supports dual monitors or goto AMD's Website!