Marketing of "Gaming board" vs non-"Gaming" boards

l8trdude

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'd like your input on motherboards, especially with the use of of the words 'gaming' vs boards marketed without those specific words.

I've always built my last several systems focusing on (in this order) the (1) motherboard chipsets design, (2) the specific cpu processor design and socket size, (3) gaming DDR memory design and maximum allowance, (3) expansion card placement, (4) number of sata connector provided.
After looking at boards I've purchased in the past, I've always noticed the same exact boards sold later on with the same exact chipsets and memory capacity, but marketed as a "Gaming Board".

How much difference in performance do these 'gaming boards' provide over my system build methodology? Is it just a marketing gimmick outside of the increased cost??

I've never bought a 'gaming board' outside of Intel's Bad Axe D975XBX2.

Thanks for your valued input.

troutmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
As far as I can tell 'Gaming Boards' generally have more features and gimmicks, such as better airflow/layout, instant overclocking features and fancy plastic covers. Some of them also claim to be made out of better materials to provide more resistance to damage from constant/extreme use.

As a gamer with a window on the side of my case, having a flash looking motherboard is a more than welcome feature to have, however sometimes the extra cost simply isn't worth it, as I tend to stay away from overclocking and the like.