Closed Solved

Restoring hard disk image on external drive to another partition

Can the hard disk image saved on an external USB drive with Macrium Reflect be restored to another partition on the same external drive?

Edit: Additional Information:

I am using Windows 8 and Macrium Reflect.

I have an image of one external disk on another external disk. Now the first external disk is not working so I am trying to restore its image onto a different partition on the second external drive.

Let's call the partition the images are stored in as G drive. The partition that I am trying to restore the image to is H drive. However, when I try to do this Macrium warns me that G drive will be overwritten. Does this mean that an image on one partition cannot be restored on another partition of the same drive?

Thanks!

JS
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about restoring hard disk image external drive partition
  1. Best answer
    A hard drive image is actually a backup of one or more partitions, including the partition-size & type. Therefore, when it's restored it has to "replace" or overwrite the existing partition and data on the target partition.

You can't restore a backup image and still preserve the existing partition and data on the target.
  2. phil22 said:
    A hard drive image is actually a backup of one or more partitions, including the partition-size & type. Therefore, when it's restored it has to "replace" or overwrite the existing partition and data on the target partition.

You can't restore a backup image and still preserve the existing partition and data on the target.

Thanks for that clarification. On my old computer I had two partitions, C and D, each having XP Pro installed and using dual-boot option. However, I created separate disk images for each of the partitions

Is there any way to combine the Macrium disk images or would I be able to use XP with single boot by restoring the images separately?

From your explanation I surmise that if I restore the image to a new external drive, it should work. Is that true?

Thanks for your help.
  3. Best answer selected by jss2020.
  4. Ideally the dual-boot setup would have been better on two partitions on the same physical hard drive, then you would only have one backup image for the whole setup. Restoring that dual-boot setup would then be a simple matter of restoring a single image.

As it is, your dual-boot setup is represented by two images. This will work fine as long you know which image represents which hard drive.
  5. phil22 said:
    Ideally the dual-boot setup would have been better on two partitions on the same physical hard drive, then you would only have one backup image for the whole setup. Restoring that dual-boot setup would then be a simple matter of restoring a single image.

As it is, your dual-boot setup is represented by two images. This will work fine as long you know which image represents which hard drive.

I restored the image of the older C drive to a new USB external disk. In the BIOS I placed external disk above the internal drive. Still when I restart the computer, the Windows 8 on the internal drive boots up instead of the XP Pro. Either I am missing something or the XP installation got messed up when my previous computer went bad (I created the disk image after that).
Ask a new question

Read More

External Drive Partition Hard Drives Storage