redwing3139

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hello

This will be my first solo build and just looking for comments

AMD 955
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
XFX ATI 4850 1GB (2 cards will be setting up Crossfire)
CORSAIR PSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum
Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooler

I have 2 x 500GB WD HD not sure the exact model but not to worried
I am not planning to OC

Will be upgrading to ThermalTake Big Water760i and 8GB ram once I pay off all the above.

I am looking to get into gaming and thats the intention of this build.

Whats everyone think? Anybody see any problems with this build?

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Can you be more specific on which set of G.Skill memory you're planning on purchasing? What's the CL rating?

Also, if you're planning on using an ATI chipset GPU, I'd suggest finding an HD 5000 series (compatible with Direct X 11) instead of the older HD 4000 series.

And if you have a budget in mind, please post so no one tries to break your bank.

I think you are nuts thinking about liquid cooling for a first build. Particularly if you do not plan to overclock.

If you will be gaming, spend that money on the best grapnics card you can afford up front.

If you will be using a 1080P monitor or better, think at least a 5850 or GTX460.

I don't much like the flashy looking spinQ cooler either. You can get a good tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan for <$40 that will be perfectly adequate.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Agreed, stay away from the water cooling. Go with the 5850 for Crossfire, or the GTX 460 for SLI. Keep in mind you can get a single card and add the second card later. In the future if you decide to overclock, both of these cards overclock very well.

redwing3139

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
The 2 XFX cards are already purchased, actually I completed purchasing all that stuff today. The watercooling is complete overkill but its cool and one of those things I always wanted. The Thermaltake is a pretty install so I am not worried about that.

rainvie1

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
its really just bad form to ask for build advice after you buy all the parts. and the GPUs are pretty old, considering theyre not even top of the 4000 line, and there are rumors of the 6000s coming out soon.

I apologise for being a bit peeved.

When you post as a first time builder, I assumed that you wanted some advice.
I, and other posters are very willing to help out with advice and take the time to consider your questions.
Such time is wasted when the purchases have already been made.

As to advice, download and read, cover to cover, the motherboard and case manuals before you start to build.