Screen goes black after Windows Xp loads on start up

G

Hi, I came home from vacation today turned on my computer started doing somethings and it froze so I tried to restart it and after it loads the windows xp start up screen it goes black before it got to the login screen, but I can still see and move my mouse. I have looked at a lot of forums and none of the things I have tried worked please help me!

I can start my computer up in safe mode as much as I want but when I try to load from last working settings it doesn't work either.

I have a Nvidia geforce 9600 GT and I have read that it could be the video card driver but right now I'm doing a virus scan to see if that would help.

acer0169

Distinguished
If you can start it up in safe mode I would suggest a simple system restore.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page, find the last restore point where your computer worked and booted up correctly. And click next.

Let it do it's job, and you should be all ready to go :].