Sign in with
Your question

Setting up file server.

Last response: in Networking
April 5, 2010 1:47:05 AM

*Now before someone jumps on me for asking a question that was probably answered 100 times over, I'm not asking someone to walk me through anything if you don't want to. I merely would like to be pointed in the right direction for some proper walk-throughs and such, to set me up correctly.

My hard drive just totally died on my file server, so I decided to reload and set up everything how it should be.

My network set up is

Modem -> router
router -> wired to 3 desktops (including file server) and an Xbox 360.
-> two laptops wirelessly

I'm dealing with a two Vista machines and two Windows 7 machines that I want to be able to access the file server (the Xbox would be a bonus, but I don't care too much about that).

Now I have both XP Home and Pro Product keys, so I can use either one. I know Pro has more options as far as networking goes. Also, are there any settings I should change on my router to make things flow better?

I would like to be able to set up things so I can have drive restrictions (like I want only one of my Windows 7 machine to be able to access one of the hard drives in the server). Or at least for it to prompt for a password or something.

I'm not too farmiliar with the whole networking side of things, but I'm up to figuring anything out.

Any help would be much appreciated :D 
--------------

I didin't think it matters too much, but in case someone wants to know my setup for the file server:

ASUS AV8-MX (http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/via_vs_ati/)
1.5GB DDR RAM
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Maxtor 40GB for OS Drive (SATA)
3 x WD 500GB Blue data drives
500W Antec PSU

More about : setting file server

April 5, 2010 6:05:45 AM

I assume that they XP is for the file server.

XP Home will only allow max of 5 concurrent users to access it for sharing, so I would suggest using XP Pro.

You can create duplicate user accounts on the XP server to reflect your logon accounts for the workstations example: Username = User1 and the password=bubbles

Make sure your logons are unique for each workstation

Then when you share the drives or folders on the XP box you can specify which accounts have access.

Keep in mind that since this is peer-to-peer file sharing and not a domain, that if you change a password for a workstation you will have to change the same password on the server too.
April 5, 2010 2:38:52 PM

digitalprospecter said:
I assume that they XP is for the file server.

XP Home will only allow max of 5 concurrent users to access it for sharing, so I would suggest using XP Pro.

You can create duplicate user accounts on the XP server to reflect your logon accounts for the workstations example: Username = User1 and the password=bubbles

Make sure your logons are unique for each workstation

Then when you share the drives or folders on the XP box you can specify which accounts have access.

Keep in mind that since this is peer-to-peer file sharing and not a domain, that if you change a password for a workstation you will have to change the same password on the server too.

Yes XP (I'll use Pro) is for the file server.

So I can just make a separate user account and give it access to the drive, and then the corresponding workstation will be able to access it?

Now will I need to log every account manually at the file server, or can I do it from the workstations?
Related resources
April 5, 2010 7:17:16 PM

So I have it setup so the Windows 7 machines can simply map the network drive and then put in the user information to gain access to the drives, but I can't get the Vista computers to see the file server (XP Pro).

A long time ago someone showed me something I had to change in the registry to do this, but I don't have the path to the key anymore.

Any suggestions?
April 5, 2010 7:55:53 PM

Seems to me there is a Microsoft patch or utility to make Vista work with XP. I'll have to go look it up. I'll get back to you.

Your making progress!
April 5, 2010 10:05:17 PM

digitalprospecter said:
XP computers need the patch or Vista can't even see it.

Here is a link to the patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

When and if we get you working, please don't forget to select the Best Answer option to help boost my stats on this forum. It would be greatly appreciated!

The link didn't seem to work.

And of course, you've been a big help.
April 5, 2010 10:42:25 PM

Awesome. I don't have time to try it out tonight, but I'll do it tomorrow and let you know how it went.
April 5, 2010 10:59:48 PM

Perfect. Let me know if you have any further questions!
April 6, 2010 1:26:51 AM

I just tried it, and then it said that I didn't need to update because it was already included in a service pack.

So then I decided to try my vista desktop again... and it worked. Kind of weird, I wonder why it wasn't picking it up before.

Now when I make the separate user accounts for the different hard drives, does it matter if I make them Limited or Adminitrator? I'm assuming I should just do Limited.
April 6, 2010 1:50:24 AM

Limited should be fine, but you can bump them to Administrator late if necessary.

Glad to hear it is working.
April 6, 2010 6:12:34 AM

How do I choose "best answer"
April 6, 2010 10:25:06 AM

There should be a 'Best Answer' button along the bottom of my replies to your questions. You should only have to click on one of them. Thanks!
April 6, 2010 10:27:49 AM

Wait. There probably isn't a Best Answer button because I just noticed your question is set up as a discussion. No worries. You could click on the little green thumbs up button on the reply that helped you the most though to help guide other users to the right answer. Glad everything is working for you!

Cheers.
!