IDE HDD to Sata Motherboard via Bidirectional Adaptor

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

After upgrading to a socket 1155 motherboard, from a socket 478 (using molexes and IDE hard disks), I am intending to use my current hard drives, which are all IDE onto my new SATA3 motherboard. I am attempting to add 2 old hard drives into the new motherboard, where I will boot using the first IDE disk.

I have purchased an IDE to SATA adaptor, which is bidirectional. I've set it up correctly; but no avail. The product which I have purchased is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120956918298?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I've also attempted to attach the adaptor to a DVD-ROM drive; which also went undetected. Is there, or are there anything which I could do in order to solve the issue, and have the IDE hard disks be detected on my motherboard?

Sorry for the bother, and thank you very much for your time, as well as reading this post.

Kindest regards. :)

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your response, I do, yes sir. I have set it on that, but the outcome is still the same. The drives aren't detectable. I have an ASUS PH61-MLE, and should have full controls of everything, even VCORE on CPU (although that isn't necessary at this time). Again, the drive isn't detected by the BIOS. :(

I'm currently typing this message on a Linux build, which I booted off a USB. So my hard drives are still not in working condition. I'm sincerely sorry for the bother, and I really do appreciate your effort and time. Thank you very much! :)

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for your response once again, I extremely appreciate it! Thank you so much.

I haven't tried the adapter into another computer, since I only have another laptop; and I also have a 5 year old desktop upstairs (which doesn't have a SATA motherboard). So I can only try it into my computer; which I upgraded today from a Pentium 4, socket 478 to a Pentium Sandy Bridge on 1155.

I am kind of inclined to believe it's the adapter's fault, since I doubt it's anything else. My hard drives, and disk drive worked perfectly fine on my 8-year old motherboard. Although, when I plug in the adapter, and insert the SATA cable, a green LED light appears. So I'm going to guess it's working, however the drives are not being displayed in BIOS; therefore cannot boot into Windows. It's a shame since Linux would have ran equally fan on my 2003 Pentium 4, haha.

I haven't done anything major yet though. I've only purchased the adapters, and plugged it in correctly. I've changed in my BIOS, to AHCI and have tested the IDE mode. I've also enabled and disabled Hot-plugging features. I've also attempted to move my jumpers around (to change from master to slave, and basically tested a lot of other combinations). Still no avail. Other than that, I've set everything in my BIOS back to default settings. I'm not too sure what to go off at the moment.

Sorry for the bother, and again, thank you for your response. :)

dingo07

Distinguished
...and u have Both the power and data cables connected to the adapter, correct?

with the computer off of course, with the drive connected to the adapter, connect the power and then the data into port 1 (or 0 if there is one)

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your response once again. Indeed, yes both power cables (molex) are connected to the adapter and the hard drive. The end of the adapter (IDE interface) is connected to the hard drive directly (which is the norm for this peripheral), and the SATA is input into the adapter and then to my motherboard. Everything should be perfectly fine. The SATA from the adapter is connected to SATA1, and my second adapter (for my second IDE hard drive) is connected to SATA2. Unfortunately there is no port 0; of course, I don't know if this causes any problems, from my point of view, it shouldn't. Of course, I wouldn't be asking for help if I knew, haha. ;)

Anyhow, other than that, everything seems fine. Would you recommend another adapter? Or just to get another hard drive and clone the IDE data/files/documents to the SATA? Although, it would have been great to run my same IDE HDD.

I've listed the adapter which I have purchased from eBay on the first page, that's all the details I know about it. I'm not sure if it works for SATA3 or not, but hopefully. The seller hasn't stated anything.

Thank you for your support, I do sincerely appreciate it. Hopefully I can get back to my Windows 7, Linux is seriously growing on me, haha; makes me feel like W7 is full of bloatware. I can't believe I'm even thinking like that! Haha. :p

The specs for your adapter state that it is limited to 1.5Gbps. I expect that it should autonegotiate 1.5Gbps with a SATA 3 controller, but maybe there is a bug somewhere.

I find it strange that the specs say that it "Support IDE drive size larger than 240GB". If anything, I would have thought that a capacity of 128GiB/137GB might be an issue in some cases (28-bit LBA limit), but 240GB doesn't have any special significance that I'm aware of.

Could you tell us the markings on the largest chip (under the QC sticker)? This will be the IDE-SATA bridge IC. A Google search may then turn up any known issues with this chip.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Try setting the drive jumpers to master mode instead of slave or cable select.

I've never had a problem with IDE-SATA adapters and the 3.0 Gbs issue.

The adapter chip contains firmware, and one such type of chip, like the one on the right, is known to contain buggy firmware in its older versions (does not work with CD or DVD drives). The smaller chip on the left, marked 'IDE/SATA,' possibly a Jmicron product, is now very common and appears to work well with all drives.

Us9BVLc.jpg