djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

It's seems your motherboard supports Phenom II.

No need to go with a Phenom I.

If you tell us your budget, we can suggest you the best cpu for your money.

Brad

firehawk_19

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I was in a similar situation as you... same mobo, same question...
I ended up going with the Phenom II X3 740, I think that is close to what you are looking at... better clock speed, unlocked multiplier, and higher L3 Cache...
Worth looking at if it fits your budget!

zimmalox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

slowdown work work in phenom? wat u mean

Lol even if Phenom II worked on it, Firehawk you do realize his mobo is AM2+ NOT AM3... I mean in some cases AM3 works with AM2+ but not all the time.

The best choice is the chip you chose, if it wasn't Nvidia chipset i'd tell you to go with the Phenom II 940 X4 but it's not. So... the 9850 is your best bet. For only 70$ you can't go wrong.

zimmalox

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
finally someone is getting somewhere with this aznshinobi thx for making hella lot of sense.... the 9850 black edition was my best bet instead of getting the phenom II that wont prolly work that well or even at all id rather take the chance with the 9850BE and its cheap i dont think ill be doing any major Ooverclocking... but i am a graphic designer and a progamer so it should run well with 8GB of G-SkiLL, what u think

Well... Then, the 9850 is fine, OCing isn't a need it's just something that'd be nice, but the old Phenoms can't really OC very well. As for programming, it should be fine, I used Core 2 Duos at my school and it ran programming like Java and scripting kind of stuff fine, like Eclipse. I don't know if it's the same as graphic design so... Yeah. If graphic design is like Rhino 3D or something like that, it should be good. As for the 8gb its fine too.

Asus CPU Support List

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz: $75

This 4GB (2 x 2GB) kit is on the QVL List.

Anand Benchies

As long as your HT speed (1000MHz) is faster than your RAMs speed there should be minimal impact on performance.

For what it does the 9850BE will work fine, but the X3 445 Rana will perform better, run cooler and should OC nicely.

-- drop the memory ratio from 400 to 333
-- drop the HT to x4
-- lock the PCIe to 100MHz
-- drop the CPU multiplier to x15
-- raise the clock to 220MHz
-- test for stability and temps

With a little volt tweaking (and good cooling) you should be able to go higher. 15x240MHz (3.6GHz) should be the sweet spot. Much higher than that and you will have to drop the HT to x3 and you RAMs ratio to 266MHz (which will give you enough headroom for a 280MHz clock - 14x280MHz = 3.9GHz)

Well... That is kind of true and kind of not, Although there isn't any comparing the new athlons to the old phenoms, more cores is not always the case. 3 cores is the sweet spot, its not too many, but its enough to multi-task. This is also good because it is a lower power using chip than the 9850. But also it's close to your budget. They should perform about the same but the 9850 has unlocked multi the 445 doesn't. It's kind of preference as they should perform about the same in the end.

firehawk_19

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Actually Shinobi, I do realize what the mobo is since I own it. I also realize that the 740 is listed as supported with the newest BIOS released by ASUS officially.

You can see it here http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0jMy2X8lKstYRvev it also lists the 945 as being supported, not the 940, but's probably not in zimmalox price range

Please feel free to share any information you have about the CPU not working with the mobo, as I have yet to see that be the case.

Zimmalox, as far as price and performance with the 740 you get something that is only slightly more expensive ($88.99 vs. $69.99) and you get slightly better performance. It is your call ultimately, but whatever you decide let us know how it goes. As far as 4 vs. 3 cores it's all relative to the Apps you run and how much you are truly multi-tasking at the same time.

Not to belabor the point but the *Olde Original* Phenom 9850BE was manufactured at 65nm, and the triple-core Rana at 45nm.

The original Phenoms at 65nm had difficulty over-clocking but were decent performers for their clock speed. AMD introduced a new southbridge with something called Advanced Clock Calibration, or ACC.

ACC improved the over-clocking capability of the original Phenoms, and had the additional benefit of unlocking cores. Your motherboard, regretfully, does not have the AMD sb710 or sb750 with ACC capability but because the Rana chip runs much cooler you will have much better success at clocking that sucker up on your motherboard.

The other advantage of the Rana is that it has both DDR2 and DDR3 memory capability (side note: the original Phenoms also had this capability but the DDR3 function was disabled).

This means that the Rana will run in a new AM3 motherboard, and better yet, a new AM3+ motherboard (available next spring) which will run BD Zambezi.

" This means that the Rana will run in a new AM3 motherboard, and better yet, a new AM3+ motherboard (available next spring) which will run BD Zambezi. "

ahh, if this is to be true....
i'd love it.

I played that one pretty safe :lol: Spring/2011 gives me until June 21 for AM3+. I suspect it will arrive easily within that time frame.

No bets on Bulldozer - LOL - though I'd love to see it in May/June (or January-February-March or April, for that matter :bounce: ).