ATI RADEON 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB (SCREEN TEARING)

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I have just built a power PC and am very pleased with it.

Brief specs:

Antec 900 case
corsair 650 watt psu
CPU i7 930 2.8ghz
GPU "in thread title"
6gb OCZ 1066 memory
1tb WD 1tb black
Asus rampage II Extreme MOBO

Anyways, I'm having terrible screen tearing and weird looking graphics. All the games I play either crash "like GOW" or screen tear "Crysis, sniper elite warrior, and a little bit in the MOH 2010 Beta" I have tried forcing vsync in ccc and with d3d over rider and it wont make a difference. I have a Benq monitor 1080p and 60hz refresh rate and 2ms responce time, I think its 24". Would I get smooth game play if I bought a better monitor and if so which one?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I think I did. I can get the games to run at like 60+ FPS but it seems to run smooth "Like not lagging" just really choppy and tearing like effects occur. I'm really new to this and just want to see it run smooth like an xbox or ps3. It's a $2000+ and growing investment and I just want to see it running at its potential. Does anybody think that buying a faster monitor would solve this issue?

I was reading around and Vsync+ Triple buffer forcing really doesn't make a difference and that my issue is from my high end gpu pumping out more frames than the monitor can support causeing the tearing style effects"

xcrapid

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I had the same problems in a few games. Vsync + Triple buffer definitely worked wonders for me.

A 120hz monitor would probably help with the screen tearing, though I'd imagine there are easier and more cost efficient solutions to your problem.

A high end GPU doesn't mean you have to deal with screen tearing (or else why would they sell them?), although if Vsync and Triple Buffering isn't working for you then I don't know what else to suggest.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I'm going out to look for a 75hz-120hz monitor, I'll see what I can get. Maybe an LG LED monitor. I'll report back. Maybe I'm not properly activating vsync and X3 buffer.

If you could tell me how and what options you use to avoid tearing and exactly where the options are. (Pics maybe?)

You would be the best ever if my games run smooth with no bad effects.

Thanks for your input so far and I'm looking forward to hearing further more from you...

xcrapid

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I can't say for sure with ATI because I run Nvidias. In CCC there should be a 3D settings area where you force V-sync etc. You should be able to activate Triple Buffering through there, but perhaps someone with an ATI can give you a better idea of where to go exactly.

Totalslaughter

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I have a X4 965 and hd 5970, LG 24" 1090p LED 60hz Backlit monitor, have seen screen tearing in some games and I adjust the different quality settings within the game till I am happy. Some games have a vsync option within the advanced video controls, most of the time enabling it fixes the problem for me and it then limits the game to the 60hz supported by the monitor.

In most of the new games out I can play maximum settings except for high antialiasing causing excessive drop in fps. Drop aa to a low setting and runs and looks great.