Formatting external hard drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 1:10:32 AM

I've got a new exterior USB hard drive that is unformated. My laptop runs
Windows XP formatted with NTFS. My question is, should I format the
exterior drive with NTFS or FAT32?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 4:17:25 AM

NTFS

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Bastler" <bastler1@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've got a new exterior USB hard drive that is unformated. My laptop runs
> Windows XP formatted with NTFS. My question is, should I format the
> exterior drive with NTFS or FAT32?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 5:15:03 AM

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> NTFS
>
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> "Bastler" <bastler1@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I've got a new exterior USB hard drive that is unformated.  My laptop
>> runs Windows XP formatted with NTFS.  My question is, should I format the
>> exterior drive with NTFS or FAT32?

Really depends on what your intentions are with regard to the drive. If
it's going to be used only with your laptop or another XP machine then
NTFS. If it's going to be used portable storage that needs to be readable
from anything you plug it into then go with FAT32.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)