Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hello, can i use my old hp internal harddrive for my first build?

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2012 1:20:27 AM

i have 3 year old hp desktop but its motherboard's capacitors got fried. Fortunately other parts seem ok. So this time, i'm trying to build my own computer. so i received every part except the internal harddrive but i need to wait for another week or so for the HDD to arrive. I do not want wait that long because i want to test my other parts such as cpu,motherboards,ram,etc before i send the rebate forms.
So i want to use my old HDD from my HP desktop. The old HDD is Windows 7 but im planning to use windows 8 for my new comp. Should i just use windows 7 since i'm just testing the new parts? If yes, would it mean i can just plug the old HDD into the new comp and install drivers for the new mobo,video card,etc ?
Oh yea, the windows 7 is HP OEM license or whatever, so i guess i can';t use it.
Then does it mean i need to install the old HP HDD to my new comp and then use the Windows 8 DVD system builder to format it and install windows 8 ? is it easy as it sounds? Would it work although this HDD is from HP OEM computer?
And once i get the new HDD, do i need to install windows 8 to this new HDD as well in order to use both HDD? If not, which HDD would you recommend me to installed windows 8? Also, i don't really know what RAID 0 and RAID 1 are.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 16, 2012 1:24:09 AM

I don't recommend using old hard disks as they do have a life span. I tend to switch mine out every 3 years. But yes, you could use it in a pinch. You will need to do a fresh install of Windows because it is a new system.
November 16, 2012 1:30:42 AM

Thank you for your help, so i can use the old HP HDD although it's HP OEM for my new comp. Another question is that once windows 8 system builder is installed to the old HDD, does the windows 8 license get stuck with the old HDD? or can i just uninstall windows 8 from the old HDD and then install it to the new HDD that im going to receive soon?
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2012 1:32:01 AM

maestro0428 said:
I don't recommend using old hard disks as they do have a life span. I tend to switch mine out every 3 years. But yes, you could use it in a pinch. You will need to do a fresh install of Windows because it is a new system.

Thank you for your help, so i can use the old HP HDD although it's HP OEM for my new comp. Another question is that once windows 8 system builder is installed to the old HDD, does the windows 8 license get stuck with the old HDD? or can i just uninstall windows 8 from the old HDD and then install it to the new HDD that im going to receive soon?
Score
a b α HP
a b G Storage
November 16, 2012 8:09:09 AM

Your operating system license is tied to the motherboard - you can change almost all components within the computer, hard drive(s) included, without issue except the motherboard (as far as the OS license is concerned)
Score
November 16, 2012 10:07:30 PM

Thank you all
Score
a b α HP
a c 180 G Storage
November 16, 2012 10:23:16 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
Score
November 18, 2012 11:58:08 PM

Best answer selected by nopopup.
Score
a b α HP
a c 180 G Storage
November 19, 2012 12:37:56 AM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
!