Sign in with
Your question

P67 and z68 mobo questions

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2011 8:23:07 PM

i will be using the computer for basic photoshop and video editing nothing extreme basically converting videos simple encoding like that and not everyday just here and there along with basic pc and internet tasks,bittorrent download and all types of multimedia stuff..i will not be overclocking atleast for awhile i wont be

i dont know much about these new z68 boards i know it has quicksync and ssd caching

with the p67 setup i was going to get i was going to get an ssd to put os and programs on and then have internal hard drive for data from what i read i wont benefit from ssd caching with that setup

dont know much about quick sync but dont think i need that either

if i dont need these two things is it worth looking into z68 boards at all?

i heard they might be more reliable..my concern with the p67 boards is reliability theres a common problem with sleep mode but i dont usually use that on any of my pcs and various other issues this concerns me especially this being the first time im building

for p67 boards i was looking at the sabertooth or the asus deluxe

so what do you guys think i should go for..and should i really be concerned..is there a better board out there then what i mentioned that i should go for

More about : p67 z68 mobo questions

a c 106 V Motherboard
June 22, 2011 8:39:48 PM

It's hard to say if quicksync will be more widely used but having the option to use it is not a bad thing. Z68 doesn't cost much more than p67 especially if you're looking at the high end mobos, the little extra bucks isn't much. You could possibly save money by getting something lower like the ones posted in your other threads.
m
l
June 22, 2011 10:24:54 PM

k1114 said:
It's hard to say if quicksync will be more widely used but having the option to use it is not a bad thing. Z68 doesn't cost much more than p67 especially if you're looking at the high end mobos, the little extra bucks isn't much. You could possibly save money by getting something lower like the ones posted in your other threads.

the only reason i would go for the more higher end is additional usb and sata ports usually more on the premium boards then the cheaper ones

if i did go cheaper you think i should sitll do z68

now quicksync how does that work would it just come into play when needed its not something i have to set or a program?

.the ssd i was looking at is the intel 510 i forget its either 120gb or 128..so i know i wont benefit from caching is it something i have to disable or i dont need to do anything if i dont want to use it or dont need it
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 10:37:59 PM

Quicksync currently only works with Cyberlink Media Espresso 6 and Arcsoft Media Converter 7 although i remember seeing a beta plugin from Intel for adobe photoshop and premiere
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 22, 2011 10:53:15 PM

$100 for 2 usb and 2 sata ports? USB splitters are like $10 if you need more than 6 on the mobo plus however many are on the case header. And why would you fill all 6 sata ports on a normal mobo?

Virtu will handle quick sync for you, it comes on the driver cd with the mobo. You do not have to do anything with ssd caching, it's off unless you set it up.
m
l
June 22, 2011 10:54:59 PM

k1114 said:
$100 for 2 usb and 2 sata ports? USB splitters are like $10 if you need more than 6 on the mobo plus however many are on the case header. And why would you fill all 6 sata ports on a normal mobo?

Virtu will handle quick sync for you, it comes on the driver cd with the mobo. You do not have to do anything with ssd caching, it's off unless you set it up.

thanks for the info..i guess your right i just think in my mind to have to have more of everything especially since i want this to last and who knows what i will add to it
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 2:40:44 AM

If you buy a Z68 you will be able to use the graphics built in to the processor , and you will be able to use the quick sync feature when drivers/extensions are written for your particular programs .

m
l
June 23, 2011 2:42:42 AM

is the graphics on board good enough though?
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 2:49:53 AM

You can use both the integrated's quick sync and a discrete card of your choosing at the same time. That is the main reason z68 was made (and still be able to OC the cpu because h67/1 can use both gpus too but not OC).
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:52:30 AM

k1114 said:
You can use both the integrated's quick sync and a discrete card of your choosing at the same time. That is the main reason z68 was made (and still be able to OC the cpu because h67/1 can use both gpus too but not OC).

yea but will the on board be fine its self talking to save money

and u say same time by same time does that mean in some way they combine them selves or just means i can us a separate card and still beenfit from quick sync
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 2:57:08 AM

No they don't combine, the video editing program (or maybe another type of program in the future) will use the integrated and another program can use the other. For your uses I think the integrated would be fine.

Edit: Of course if it's not, adding a graphics card is a simple task.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:01:35 AM

k1114 said:
No they don't combine, the video editing program (or maybe another type of program in the future) will use the integrated and another program can use the other. For your uses I think the integrated would be fine.

Edit: Of course if it's not, adding a graphics card is a simple task.

thanks for giving me all this info..i didnt even realize these z68 boards came out till yesterday so im trying to learn everything about them in the last 24 hours

does every z68 have integrated graphics and are they all equal?
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 3:06:33 AM

For sandy bridge, the graphics are on the cpu but requires a mobo that can utilize it. Some z68 do not have video outputs which can not use the integrated. This confuses me because it's basically a p67. Just make sure the mobo has video outputs.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:07:50 AM

k1114 said:
For sandy bridge, the graphics are on the cpu but requires a mobo that can utilize it. Some z68 do not have video outputs which can not use the integrated. This confuses me because it's basically a p67. Just make sure the mobo has video outputs.

thanks..i just read that a min ago that gigabyte has a bunch out with no intergrated gfx makes no sense to me either
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:15:54 AM

so with the HD 3000 thats in the 2600k..you think that will work flawlessly and smooth for viewing full hd video and editing in photoshop and doing other encoding?
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 3:24:47 AM

I can't say with full hd videos since I haven't tried full hd. I will have to try later but I suppose it can handle it. However, I have used photoshop on hd 3000 on 11"x17" 300dpi and it handled it just fine.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:27:56 AM

if you can somehow let me know how that handles 1080p videos that would be great
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 4:13:24 PM

Well I didn't have any 1080p vids so I stuck a couple other vids together, rendered and imported that. I was using after effects on asrock z68 pro3, no video card installed, stock i5. Scrubbing went to low pretty fast but still refreshed pretty much instantly when stopped. Prerendering stayed realtime 30fps but this is mostly cpu with gpu acceleration I believe. Wasn't lagging any, so I'd say it was just fine.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:51:39 PM

so now say i get z68 but also get discreet graphics with it..whats the advantage to that..and when i do video playback that will be through discreet or onboard?
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 11:30:36 PM

Photoshop and pretty much every video editing software or multimedia software has gpu acceleration which will obviously be better with a more powerful card. In this case, it's better to use a discrete card for everything and just to have the integrated if/when quick sync becomes more widely used. Video playback could care less what it's going through; both are plenty powerful for full hd and more.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:38:53 PM

k1114 said:
Photoshop and pretty much every video editing software or multimedia software has gpu acceleration which will obviously be better with a more powerful card. In this case, it's better to use a discrete card for everything and just to have the integrated if/when quick sync becomes more widely used. Video playback could care less what it's going through; both are plenty powerful for full hd and more.

i get that..but what runs at defults like if you put a card in then thats whats running your graphics unless you run something that utilizes quick sync?
m
l
June 25, 2011 12:53:33 AM

if the cpu is handling so much such as graphics and what it normally does does this cause more load on the cpu that might be a concern when it comes to heat or anything
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 25, 2011 1:51:29 AM

The igpu is built on the cpu but seperate so to speak. But yes it does cause more heat, however, the stock heatsink is good enough to keep it under the tcase rated by intel at 72C. At full load the stock will ~70C so I would recommend an aftermarket hsf anyways. The cm hyper 212+ or xigmatek gaia are both $30 and will easily handle an OC to your multiplier wall. At stock speed they both keep it ~55C at full load, much better than stock.
m
l
June 25, 2011 11:07:29 PM

so i just realized something on the ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe theres no video ports from what i can tell so if i got that board i would need to use a discrete card?
m
l
June 26, 2011 6:06:59 AM

I am looking at the Z68 motherboards and researching them and based on what I have found so far I am very skeptical that these will solve the problems associated with the P67/H67 fiasco Intel created. At this point I would not go there unless someone can defeat my logic on this conclusion. Here is my logic:

1. The Virtu software that is needed in the Z68 motherboards apparently selects the integrated graphics and GPU graphics automatically. Here is a review that suggests that the program does NOT choose the best option for graphics processing:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/05/1...

So I ask, if this article is correct, would you want your gaming done on the integrated graphics and simpler tasks done on the GPU with no way to override this?

2. I tried to get instructions on the Virtu program from Lucidogix (called a week ago and e-mailed as well - no response yet so what does that tell you about their support if there are conflicts with this program as reported in some comments on Newegg, etc.?) and from Intel. I had been hoping that there might be a manual override where one could use GPU graphics all the time except when one wanted to use Quick Sync for video transcoding. Intel told me that there is no such override despite seeing a slider bar in the main panel illustration for the software that looks like there may be some manual control. I believe this is what people who want the best quality will want to do since the Intel graphics 3000 on their new K processors is not as good as an AMD Radeon HD 6570 GPU which you can buy for $69. See:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-rade...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a8-3500m-llano-apu,...

So it seems you would only want the integrated graphics for transcoding with Quick Sync; otherwise there is no benefit except in power consumption but if you want lower quality that's what you get as a tradeoff for the small incremental wattage consumed by a Radeon HD 6570 (and the Virtu software only idles the card from what I understand so it doesn't save much - also see the bit-tech conclusion on this).

3. I posed whether there was any way to override the Virtu software, and I was told that you have to adjust the BIOS - in essence turn off the integrated graphics there to do so. That means that if you are not going to overclock the processor, this Z68 is worthless and no better than an H67 board from what I can tell.

4. Last but not least, with all of the problems I've had getting information from Intel and Lucidlogix on this, what will happen when BIOS updates occur - will this software keep up or will there be conflicts. Given what I've seen in my experience getting information I suspect the worst.

Please everyone feel free to poke holes in what I've said. If there was truly a way to get this Virtu software to do what I think those who want the best quality will want - that is have a control to use the GPU all the time except for video transcoding - I'd buy the board tomorrow. But at this point, I'd wait on this one.
m
l
June 26, 2011 6:25:24 AM

Can you tell me why you would recommend a Z68 at all given my post?
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 6:46:14 AM

1. The bit-tech article is doing it wrong. They're plugging the monitor into the mobo making it virtualize the discrete. It should be plugged into the discrete and virtualize the igpu.

2/3. In the program you are encoding in, you choose what you want to use to encode. There is an on/off button and I suppose those pics are also manual overrides. If you don't have virtu running, it won't be able to switch, another "override." http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lucidlogix-virtu-gp... However, this is the old article about the old version which does not support being in the discrete.

4. I would think BIOS version would not affect it. It is virtualizing a gpu dealing with the drivers. The bios would simply need to say both are enabled.

Before virtu came along and before z68, h67/1 users were simply using 2 monitors (or switching plugs), making both enabled and not having to deal with any problems associated with virtualizing.
m
l
June 26, 2011 7:07:09 AM

Yes, but Virtu still should not choose the GPU for video trancode and iGPU for games when the monitor is in the motherboard in i-mode. This is the suggested connection according to Intel - see:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19993/eng/Lucid%20Virtu...

From what I see it should work both ways. Is there any guarantee that it will make the best choices in d-mode without actually seeing a review with that configuration tested?

If there was a way to configure this so it would choose the GPU at all times except when doing video transcoding (seems you are suggesting if you connect it in d-mode that would be the case), I'd feel better about it. But when I called Intel, they said it could only done in BIOS adjustment meaning every time you wanted to change your preferences you'd have to change BIOS.
m
l
June 26, 2011 7:16:24 AM

Here is a reply from Intel:

To answer your questions...

1. I was referring to both the Z68 and H67 motherboards, since the application works on both.

2. For the application to work, you need to have the monitor connected to the onboard ports. Once again, what the application does is use resources from the discrete graphics controller when required by the system. Please note that the system will still output video through the motherboard ports.

3. Disabling the application while in the operating system will have your system working only with the processor graphics. This disables the option to use resources from the PCI Express* graphics controller.

4. If you would like to use only the PCI Express* graphics, you will need to enter the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics (Under the Configuration Tab). This will automatically activate the PCI Express* controller.

5. The onboard graphics do support Bluray playback, and the quality of the video will be as high as any PCI Express* graphics controller. The main difference that a PCI Express* graphics controller adds to a system, is the hability to process high end 3D grpahics, which are mostly used in gaming.

m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 3:30:56 PM

There are a multitude of compatibility issues when plugging the monitor in the mobo and virtualizing the discrete (not to mention the performance hit). If you only want the integrated for quicksync but don't want the hassle of it switching, only run virtu when you are encoding. You never run all your programs, all the time do you? Always turn off stuff you are not using. Going into the bios is only to change enable/disable the igpu which is completely unnecessary since you will have to unplug the monitor from the mobo and put it in the discrete anyways. You could just not go into the bios and switch the plugs even when the computer is still on. There is no need to change primary video adapter.
m
l
June 26, 2011 4:21:55 PM

Can you itemize the compatibility issues you referred to when pluging the monitor into the mobo? That scares me even more about Z68.

If you are suggesting using the mobo motherboard connection and disabling Virtu when I want to run Quick Sync and then changing the monitor connection to the GPU and enabling Virtu for all other scenarios you're still left with the issue of using the integrated graphics for watching Blue Ray movies on igpu which is of lower quality than a cheap graphics card as demonstrated in the tom's hardware articles cited in my first post. So you would have to go into BIOS to disable onboard graphics as cited in the Intel response I provided in that case. So why go through all this mess when you can just buy an H67 board and connect one monitor to both the motherboard and the GPU and select the motherboard connection when you want to use quick sync and select the GPU connection for all other uses? No need to change connections and no need to deal with this Virtu mess. You would lose the ability to overclock and use SSD cache I suppose. The real question here is why doesn't Intel/Lucidlogix just fix the software? It is hard to argue with the conclusions of bit tech - I think what they did is correct. And if Intel/Lucidlogix didn't get it right so far, will things get worse down the line? That is my concern.
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 4:36:20 PM

I won't itemize it, not being mean but the tom's article and bit-tech explain it better than I can, I think.

Going into the bios to disable the onboard also disables the outputs on the mobo, which is why I said you have to change the plugs. You can connect 2 monitors on z68 as well, just like h67, the only advantage really being the ability to OC the cpu. This is really the only reason over h67/1 for me, personally. You only need to change connections if you have one monitor and no virtu.

So having it in the discrete and not have virtu running means everything is through the discrete and all the goodness it comes with. Then only run virtu to enable quick sync and encode.

Virtu is new and like all new software, it is buggy. Let it age a few months and bugs will be fixed and probably optimizations as well.
m
l
June 26, 2011 7:37:34 PM

Didn't think about the other outputs being disabled when integrated graphics is disabled as nothing was said of that in the Intel correspondence either in i-mode or d-mode. So here is where I think we net out on the Z68 based on Intel's correspondence and what you say:

1. If you want to use the integrated graphics only for transcoding video, connect monitor to the motherboard video connection (either DVI, HDMI or Display Port), set BIOS to "always enable" integrated graphics, set integrated graphics in BIOS to primary or first display, and turn off Virtu while in the operating system so PCI graphics is essentially disabled and Virtu cannot route anything to the GPU.

2. If you want to use the graphics card for all other functions (ie. watching blue ray video on TV, games, etc.), connect monitor to the GPU video connection, then set BIOS to PCI graphics as the primary or first display, set BIOS to disable integrated graphics, and leave Virtu on (do you need it on or can it be off?) while in the operating system.

It seems like there is no need for Virtu on the Z68 if this works especially if it does not need to be turned on in scenario #2 above. Makes you wonder why Intel uses Virtu - I guess if they offered manual options to choose these things within the Virtu program (as I asked Intel and Lucidlogix to see if that was possible) then there would be no need to go into BIOS. Hopefully they will add this capability in the future. Or if Intel 3000 graphics were better on HQV 2.0 compared to a Radeon 6000 graphics card and if Virtu selected the right graphic options unlike reported in the Bit-tech review it would be much simpler than having to make BIOS changes and change monitor connections.

One thing on the Z68 that remains: can you connect the monitor to both the integrated graphics output (say DVI) and simultaneously to the GPU (say HDMI) and just select the DVI when using the integrated graphics on the monitor or the HDMI when using GPU graphics? At least then you would not have to change connections on the back of the PC, only change the BIOS settings.

Finally, I assume the same could be done with the H67 board as you mention. If so, the choice between Z68 and H67 is basically do you want the overclocking and SSD caching (not important to me), more output options on the board (more SATA connections, USB 3.0, firewire, e-SATA), and perhaps better quality components given the board needs to stand up to overclocking. Or if you don't care about Quick Sync like those of us who are more into multimedia uses more than games, go with a P67 board. Have to take cost into account as well.

I will try to check this with Intel or whomever I choose as the motherboard mfr. I will go with and see if they can confirm it.
m
l
June 26, 2011 7:47:53 PM

to me only thing that concerns me right now about me buying a z68 board is whether igpu will be enough..cause i probably wouldnt buy a z68 board if it wasnt going to save me money on a discrete card
m
l
June 26, 2011 8:04:54 PM

iamloco724 said:
to me only thing that concerns me right now about me buying a z68 board is whether igpu will be enough..cause i probably wouldnt buy a z68 board if it wasnt going to save me money on a discrete card

That's a tough one on whether integrated gpu is enough. If you look at the 2 Tom's Hardware reviews of Intel graphics and AMD's Radeon HD 6570 graphics card (which you can buy now for about $69), in my first post here the Intel graphics 3000 series (you need the K processor to get the 3000, on the on the other processors you get a lesser 2000 version) is not as good on HQV 2.0 scores in those reviews as the Radeon HD 6570 which achieves the best score possible for video playback (certainly you'd need better for 3D games). Can you see the difference? Who knows? Intel claimed in their response to me that the performance of integrated graphics is as good as PCI graphics on video playback (not 3D). Which to believe - the Tom's Hardware HQV 2.0 reviews or Intel is hard to say. Personally, I'd rather take the GPU since it is only $69. My intent was to build a PC for video editing/playback with a Radeon HD 6750 to get the best quality playback and get the Z68 board to be able to access Quick Sync when I want to edit/transcode video quickly. That is what I am trying to figure out here - to determine if I can do it and make sure I am not buying a buggy motherboard which is my concern on the Z68.
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 11:23:06 PM

Going into the bios to enable/disable igpu and switch the primary is an unnecessary step as I stated before. And virtu doesn't need to be on. I didn't even install it. Virtu is for people with only one monitor and don't want to keep switching plugs.

I suppose 2 connections on 1 monitor would work. I remember someone mentioning they would try but never heard if it worked or not.

Z68 was only $10 more than p67 for the non sli/cf mobos since I don't need it. So I chose z68 since I also don't have a discrete atm. Will get one during 4th july sales if not I'll pay full price.

Do you need sli/cf? Because I don't understand why you are looking for a board that can, when you don't even know if you want a discrete card. Do you think expensive boards perform better? Because they don't, not in real world apps. You may be able to push 100mhz more out the cpu or ram but is that worth $100? Or is there some other feature you wanted?
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:47:32 AM

So you are really using the Z68 board just like an H67 board then. As long as 2 connections on 1 monitor works that would work for me - I don't want to keep switching plugs (going behind the PC in a desk) but if both are connected and I can go between them in another way that's OK. I think that's why I would prefer to adjust BIOS according to the Intel document as I specified if it works - you are doing it apparently by connecting or not connecting monitor and changing plugs between the 2 GPUs. I am suggesting leaving the plugs on and changing the BIOS for enable/disable iGPU and switching the primary GPU like they say in that Intel document I gave the link for. I don't know that Virtu is needed or not - if it is disabled according to that document the i-GPU activates so not needed there. I don't know if it needs to be turned on when you specify the discrete GPU as primary and disable the i-GPU however. I would think not, but so far this whole thing has not been logical so I don't know. I'll have to search more extensively to see if anyone has tried that. If it all works without Virtu though, that's not so bad since I wouldn't be using Quick Sync that often, but I do want it for the occasional times it would be used. And I'd essentially be using the Z68 like an H67 but retaining the features of the P67 without the Virtu issues.

I looked at prices at Newegg and the Z68 motherboards are, as you suggest, not too much more expensive than the P67s (about $20 more for comparable features). In terms of features, I want connectivity for e-SATA, IEEE-1394, and a good number of USB, including USB 3.0. Since I don't do gaming, I was looking at adding a 6000 series AMD Radeon HD GPU to get the best video playback since I connect my PC to a TV for Blue Ray playback. I don't need SLI. According to the reviews I put in my first post, and AMD Radeon HD 6570 for $69 gives you as good playback as assessed on HQV 2.0 reviews here as the top of the line cards. And this exceeds what you get from the Intel i-GPU from those reviews where the scores were much lower and there was apparently some issue with 24P video playback (which I record at on my HD camcorder in low light). So my thinking is I want to playback everything off the discrete GPU to get best quality but have the i-GPU available when I transcode video since you can do that on Quick Sync many many times faster than you can off the discrete GPU even if you use the hardware acceleration on the GPU. Maybe I'm taking this too far, but nobody can tell me how long these things take so I could say a cheaper alternative is enough to do the job in a reasonable amount of time. If I knew the difference wasn't material, I'd buy an AMD Phenom II X6 processor with an $89 motherboard and pocket the money. But since I don't know, I may overspend by $200 - oh well don't have other vices.
m
l
July 22, 2011 9:09:44 PM

Well, got the Z68 (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3). I hooked up the graphics card to my monitor and the motherboard to the same monitor (one HDMI and one DVI). When I want the better graphics I use the GPU graphics and when I want Quick Sync or don't need higher quality graphics I use the onboard graphics. To switch I use the the Gigabyte Touch BIOS feature to change the primary graphics and enable/disable onboard graphics - change 2 settings and restart and so far looks like I can disregard installing Virtu with what I have until they put manual control on Virtu (if ever).
m
l
a c 106 V Motherboard
July 22, 2011 10:40:15 PM

Does your monitor have a button to switch input? Would seem a lot easier than having to restart and change a bios option.
m
l
July 23, 2011 4:05:11 AM

Yes - the monitor has a button to select all different types of input. But when one graphics option is functioning, the other does not so if, for example, graphics are routed through HDMI, selecting DVI on the monitor will give a blank screen or a static picture of the screensaver. If it worked on both connections you are right that it would be easier. Maybe I'm missing something on the BIOS settings, but if not, it's really not that bad since I pretty much know what I'll be doing before I turn on the PC. Hopefully Virtu will get better and they will add a manual control in the future and I can install it, but for now not too bad an option. Thanks.
m
l
!