Is the Moto V180 really quad band?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 9, 2005 2:03:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Hi folks,

Regarding the Motorola V180 . . .

Amazon.com describes this phone as . . .
"quad-band global coverage capability"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0003QEAB...

Cingular describes this phone as . . .
"Operates on 850/900/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS networks "
http://onlinestored.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...

T-Mobile describes this phone as . . .
"International phone: Tri-band (1900,1800,900 MHz)"
http://tmobile.com/products/overview.asp?phoneid=230863...

Motorola describes this phone for Cingular GSM as . . .
"For use on GSM 850/900/1900 networks"
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/phone_cat....

Motorola describes this phone for T-Mobile as . . .
"For use on GSM 900/1800/1900 networks"
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/phone_cat....

Wirefly describes this phone as . . .
"Quad Band GSM Allows Roaming In More Than 150 Countries"
https://www.inphonic.com/PhoneDetails.aspx?referringdom...

Phonescoop describes this phone as . . .
"Modes GSM 800/GSM 1800/GSM 1900
carrier-dependent (can be dual-band, tri-band, or quad-band) "
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=466

Is it possible that this is really, physically, a quad band phone, but
the carriers use the software to disable it so it can only work
internationally on their system?

More about : moto v180 quad band

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:11:09 AM

kjk wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Regarding the Motorola V180 . . .
>
> Amazon.com describes this phone as . . .
> "quad-band global coverage capability"

Depends on the phone. The ones AT&T supplied were quad band, most now
offered in the US are triband. And, per a message in another thread, I
understand that at least some unbranded V180s are also quad band. Which
means that if I ever switch to a true Cingular plan, I'm going to unlock my
AT&T V180 instead of gettingf Cingular's tribander. :-)

Bill K
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:47:57 AM

usually, th ephone has the quad band setting, but the carriers block out
one of the frequencies and adjus it to their own, aking the phone
triband, there is a way to bring out the fourth band on a v180, i'll
let you guys know how its done once i find out, but you do require the
cable

--
Vidguy11
April 9, 2005 8:49:43 AM

Or, the phones could be built for each carrier with just the
circuits/components that the carrier wants. Meaning that they might not
be quad band. It may not be just a software difference.
April 9, 2005 11:27:47 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Or, the phones could be built for each carrier with just the
> circuits/components that the carrier wants. Meaning that they might not
> be quad band. It may not be just a software difference.

Considering the sophisticated level of software/firmware, I just cannot
imagine any manufacturer assembly line being split between two models.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"kjk" <kjk@usa.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> Is it possible that this is really, physically, a quad band phone, but
> the carriers use the software to disable it so it can only work
> internationally on their system?

More important than the number of bands might be the frequent reports of
serious problems with this phone due to poor build quality. Cheap plastic
covers, screens cracking, etc. This doesn't appear to be one of Moto's
better efforts.

Bob
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 4:34:56 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Or, the phones could be built for each carrier with just the
> circuits/components that the carrier wants. Meaning that they might not
> be quad band. It may not be just a software difference.

I highly doubt that, for example, Motorola would develop a Cingular
V180, an AT&T V180, and a T-Mobile V180 all from scratch using
differenct circuitry and just putting them in the same case. R&D would
cost too much, as each carrier would have have new circuitry developed.
!