Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FPS HUGE DROP!!!! help

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 29, 2010 1:35:05 PM

Hi i have a huge problem when i play more cpu oriented games like MoH and BFBC2 i have like 60 fps at the moment and then fps drops like for 10-20 sec to 20 fps and it is realy frustrating, realy, it doesnt matters if i play on high medium low settings it is all the same, though when i record my game it falls from 80 fps to 30 and so on.

AMD 9550 quad core (overclocked from 2,2 to 2,6 ghz)
Geforce 260 gtx (super overclocking series, better than 275 gtx, just for info)
4 gb ram ddr2 1066 mhz

please help

More about : fps huge drop

October 29, 2010 1:52:44 PM

no no if i look in the sky or it doesnt depend on how much action is in the game, if im on my spawn and there will be constant fps drops every half a minute but only in cpu oriented games or when recording. i dont know
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 2:44:02 PM

...just because you aren't looking at action, doesn't mean its not taking place. People are still moving, their positions and AI are still being calculated, etc. Just because you don't see an explosion doesn't mean its effects on the environment isn't calculated.

As for recording, it makes sense that recording will incur a FPS penalty. The fact its constant points to not having enough memory.
Related resources
October 29, 2010 3:36:41 PM

By saying you aren't looking at action and graphics settings aren't impacting that screams(my CPU is the bottleneck not the graphics card). Graphics cards are most important in 3D gaming but they don't do it alone. If possible I'd try to run task manager and see if you CPU is pegging at 100%, how much of your RAM is used etc, whichever one is maxed out then upgrade. Sounds like both memory/CPU are holding you back.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 3:41:56 PM

I had a similar issue with STALKER after I added some high res texture packs. It was due to not enough RAM @ 4gb. I went and upgraded to 8GB and it's smooth sailing. It was the same problem tho, would run smooth for a little while then freeze for a second or just huge FPS drop. The reason is the HDD is access for file paging, so instead of loading off RAM it's going waaaaay slower loading off the HDD. 4GB should be enough, just check your RAM usage when gaming and see what's using it all up. If you have a web browser open, they can use 500mb alone.
October 29, 2010 3:43:24 PM

aha i tought about that but i never checked it, thanks dudes, i dont have enought memory?? how much is recommended?
October 29, 2010 3:45:20 PM

wolfram23 said:
I had a similar issue with STALKER after I added some high res texture packs. It was due to not enough RAM @ 4gb. I went and upgraded to 8GB and it's smooth sailing. It was the same problem tho, would run smooth for a little while then freeze for a second or just huge FPS drop. The reason is the HDD is access for file paging, so instead of loading off RAM it's going waaaaay slower loading off the HDD. 4GB should be enough, just check your RAM usage when gaming and see what's using it all up. If you have a web browser open, they can use 500mb alone.


aha then i asume that i have a little bottleneck either on my ram and hdd, right?
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 3:48:33 PM

4GB should be enough, but if you have a lot of multitasking going on it can get eaten up pretty quick. Things like a bit torrent (Vuse) and a web browser with a few tabs open is going to be near 1GB taken up right there.

HDDs are always a bottleneck.
October 29, 2010 3:51:00 PM

ok about the ram and hdd im threw, only what is good hdd, except the ssd disks? with more or less cache? and what is the diference betwen caviar green and black?
October 29, 2010 3:53:40 PM

about the cpu itself, i have a friend which has i think intel e6750 it is on 2,6 ghz and only 8800 gts and when he record the games offcourse he getts less fps but still locked 50 on my hand i get from 60-30 fps its realy anoying when it gets to 30 or less. And he is playing bfbc2 he doesnt get any of the fps drops below 20 fps like i do, what about that?
October 29, 2010 3:55:21 PM

and remember his cpu is dual core mine is quad core and the cpu are almoast identical, mine is a little better
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 4:01:42 PM

Like I said, it's RAM usage. Close all the apps you have running and then try to play and see if it's better. When RAM fills up, the OS will start to put files onto the HDD to act as RAM. It's called "File Paging" and it's something you want to avoid.

Can't get around HDD bottlenecks, they're just slow compared to everything else in a computer. An SSD is about the only way to really boost the performance, although Seagate is touting it's "Hybrid HDDs" which have flash memory onboard.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 5:57:07 PM

the orginal phenom series is kinda suck.. i'm guessing a cpu bottleneck during heavy action.

its pretty easy to rule it out or confirm it.

also i'm not sure how well those games use all 4 threads so it might be much worse than a faster dual core.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 6:15:09 PM

the E6750 is better than the early phenom quads
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 7:52:50 PM

HDD's are only a bottleneck in the terms that they are SIGNIFICANTLY slower then every other PC component, and theres no real way to speed then up. (Even SSD's are slow compared to other components).

What I suspect is happening: Your RAM is getting filled over time, so the game needs to save the contents of some of the RAM to Virtual RAM on the Hard Drive. Now, because the HD is so slow compared to the rest of the system, you need to wait for the HD to finish coping the data before you can progress. Worse, if the data in question currently resides in Virtual RAM on the HD, now you also need to wait for data from the HD to be read into RAM, another slow IO operation.

Hence why more RAM helps performance: It reduces the number of times you need to read/write to/from the HD. Thats all more RAM does.

[It should be noted that unless you have a 64bit .exe, the app in question is still limited to a little less then 2GB anyways; its other processes that are taking up space in RAM, so closing some other heavy processes can help as well.]
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 8:13:50 PM

I would like to mention I have 8gig of ram and 64bit os.. most games are under 1GB of usage..
I have yet to see a game use more than 2 GB memory.
fallout new vegas is 700MB

the original phenom 2.4ghz is about the same as a core 2 1.8ghz

here is what you should do. open task manager goto the performance tab.
change the update speed to low

LEAVE THIS OPEN IN BACKGROUND.

run the game for a couple mins. when you get a slowdown wait till its over
close game quickly and check the performance in task manager
(alternately you can alt tab)
you can also check your memory usage this way too.

i suggest low update speed so it doesnt go off the graph as fast.

if your slowdowns only take 15sec or so.. use normal update speed.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 8:43:31 PM

^That's true that most games don't use a lot, but the problem is that with a lot of background stuff going on, there's a lot more demand. As I said earlier, I know that Opera browser with just a couple tabs can take up 300-500mb of RAM, and Vuse can easily be 250+mb.

Although I can tell you that with everything closed I've used 5gb (total) in STALKER: Call of Pripyat after installing high res texture mod and AtmosFear :D 
October 29, 2010 9:28:41 PM

I've been using over 8gb's of ram at a time but I've been known to have multiple EVE/WOW windows open while watching a movie torrenting, with chrome firefox and IE all open with multiple tabs ;P

I like RAM lately it's been cheap... saying you never need more than XYZ is silly. Second easiest RAM fix than buying more is not multi-tasking, if you bought a quad core to multi-task you ought to get 6-8GB to run the multiple apps.

Windows will probably be using 512 as well. I forget what game but one of mine was using 1.65 GB just last week. I want to say CIV 5 in a huge map world maybe?

In addition you mention fps? Are you using the same settings? If you're at max and he's at medium/recommended he's going to get much higher fps.

If fps is you're main concern you may be able to ignore an upgrade and take down some AA/HDR options, forget HDD for now as that should help load times but you ought to have/get enough ram/close enough programs so the game can load textures etc all into RAM and not be reading much/at all from HDD anyway.

I cheat and stare at task manager on my other monitor but you may be able to use windowed mode or find a program that logs the info but I don't know one off hand.
October 29, 2010 11:13:35 PM

Defiantly have to agree that some games really demand ram... i've had Gmod use quite a bit of my 8Gb of ram
October 30, 2010 1:44:47 PM

will14 said:
I've been using over 8gb's of ram at a time but I've been known to have multiple EVE/WOW windows open while watching a movie torrenting, with chrome firefox and IE all open with multiple tabs ;P

I like RAM lately it's been cheap... saying you never need more than XYZ is silly. Second easiest RAM fix than buying more is not multi-tasking, if you bought a quad core to multi-task you ought to get 6-8GB to run the multiple apps.

Windows will probably be using 512 as well. I forget what game but one of mine was using 1.65 GB just last week. I want to say CIV 5 in a huge map world maybe?

In addition you mention fps? Are you using the same settings? If you're at max and he's at medium/recommended he's going to get much higher fps.

If fps is you're main concern you may be able to ignore an upgrade and take down some AA/HDR options, forget HDD for now as that should help load times but you ought to have/get enough ram/close enough programs so the game can load textures etc all into RAM and not be reading much/at all from HDD anyway.

I cheat and stare at task manager on my other monitor but you may be able to use windowed mode or find a program that logs the info but I don't know one off hand.



nah i dont think its ram he has 3 gb of ram ddr2 1066 mhz and it has on medium settings because the slower graphic card 8800gts, i dont know i get this fps drops repetably so that is my huge question, why is this fps drop so accurate, precisely every 25-30 seconds i get fps drop, i dont know i was wondering is it my heat? though i have 5 case fans and only stock cooler on my cpu which is OC'd and a crapy motherboard.
October 31, 2010 1:52:29 PM

anyone?
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2010 5:30:42 PM

Have you checked your RAM usage while playing the game yet??? Unless you can convince me it's not the problem, I'm going to stick with that.
November 1, 2010 7:44:16 AM

rand_79 said:
I would like to mention I have 8gig of ram and 64bit os.. most games are under 1GB of usage..
I have yet to see a game use more than 2 GB memory.
fallout new vegas is 700MB

the original phenom 2.4ghz is about the same as a core 2 1.8ghz

here is what you should do. open task manager goto the performance tab.
change the update speed to low

LEAVE THIS OPEN IN BACKGROUND.

run the game for a couple mins. when you get a slowdown wait till its over
close game quickly and check the performance in task manager
(alternately you can alt tab)
you can also check your memory usage this way too.

i suggest low update speed so it doesnt go off the graph as fast.

if your slowdowns only take 15sec or so.. use normal update speed.






OK, now im going to test if it is my ram. is it ok to play in window mode? because i can get to task manager two times faster.
November 1, 2010 10:11:51 AM

Well here are the results: As i predicted. It isnt the ram, because when i get one off those fps drops my CPU usage is at around 85% and my ram is 53% (2,2 gb). When i dont have those fps drops and plays normaly my CPU usage is at around 77% and ram usage at 53% (same as before). SO we can se that if i have or dont have the fps drop the ram usage in the game is equall. So??? Test tested in Battlefield Bad Company 2
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 11:01:55 AM

*sigh* Task Manager tells you NOTHING about how much RAM is in use at any point in time. The best it can give is the size of the processes Address Space. [If you don't believe me: Write a basic C++ program that allocates a 100 integer array (400 Bytes), look at Task Manager, delete the array, and look at Task Manager again. I guarentee, the numbers won't shrink after you delete the array]

That CPU usage is a bit worrying, but I'm not convinced its the problem; BFBC2 takes my QX9650 to ~85% on all four cores, but doesn't result in any slowdown. So those high CPU numbers don't necessarilly indicate a problem on the CPU side (though its certainly possible...)
November 1, 2010 11:25:35 AM

gamerk316 said:
*sigh* Task Manager tells you NOTHING about how much RAM is in use at any point in time. The best it can give is the size of the processes Address Space. [If you don't believe me: Write a basic C++ program that allocates a 100 integer array (400 Bytes), look at Task Manager, delete the array, and look at Task Manager again. I guarentee, the numbers won't shrink after you delete the array]

That CPU usage is a bit worrying, but I'm not convinced its the problem; BFBC2 takes my QX9650 to ~85% on all four cores, but doesn't result in any slowdown. So those high CPU numbers don't necessarilly indicate a problem on the CPU side (though its certainly possible...)


but whats the problem there then?? yeah but you cant compare my cpu with yours, if your cpu goes on 85% and mine on 85% then your cpu will still perform better, because its higher clocked and better. Like if you compare a Ferrari with an Audi. If both of them go on 85%, ferrari will outperform audi. Do you get it? As for the ram, i dont have to less ram.
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 1:19:05 PM

^^ I was mearly pointing out the high CPU usage does not necessarilly mean that performance will suffer.
November 1, 2010 2:08:56 PM

rand_79 said:

the original phenom 2.4ghz is about the same as a core 2 1.8ghz


Your speculative figure of 1.8Ghz is not supported by data.

Actual data shows that the original Phenom at a clock speed of somewhere between 2.5Ghz and 2.6Ghz to be the same as the Intel Q6600 at 2.4Ghz in performance. Back in the day this caused heated debates because at 2.5Ghz the 9850 "won" 30% of the benchmarks against a Q6600 and at 2.6Ghz the 9950 "won" about 60% of the benchmarks. Using this known data we can extrapolate the performance of a 2.4Ghz Phenom to be about the same as a Core 2 between 2.2Ghz and 2.3Ghz.

EDIT: If you wish to speculate then we could predict that IF they made a Core 2 chip with Turbo boost and it had a base clock of 1.8Ghz and an overclocked speed of 2.2-2.3Ghz then it might be possible to make your figures "kind of" possible.
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 2:26:55 PM

Hmmm well, 55% RAM usage would point to it not being an issue. At least in my experience it showed 80-90% when there was a problem, although I'm wondering if you noticed what the RAM usage is in Windows? I ask because I use at least 1.5-2gb RAM with my default apps open in the task bar (couple gadgets, CCC, Afterburner, audio panel etc). So, 2.2gb used when gaming seems oddly low. However, assuming that is indeed the case, I think for now you should give overclocking a go. Try and hit 3ghz and see what happens. I don't really know much about OCing that CPU so can't help much with that but I'm sure others can.
November 1, 2010 4:19:54 PM

wolfram23 said:
Hmmm well, 55% RAM usage would point to it not being an issue. At least in my experience it showed 80-90% when there was a problem, although I'm wondering if you noticed what the RAM usage is in Windows? I ask because I use at least 1.5-2gb RAM with my default apps open in the task bar (couple gadgets, CCC, Afterburner, audio panel etc). So, 2.2gb used when gaming seems oddly low. However, assuming that is indeed the case, I think for now you should give overclocking a go. Try and hit 3ghz and see what happens. I don't really know much about OCing that CPU so can't help much with that but I'm sure others can.


well it is overclocked from 2,2 ghz to 2,6 and above 2,7 ghz it aint more stable. I cant find any vcore settings on my motherboard. if you know some programs where can i sett vcore??
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 6:15:08 PM

Not really, no. I'd suggest googling how to OC on whatever your motherboard is or for AMD OC applications (I seem to recall there is one)

Also something I just kind of thought of, have you done a disk defrag + optimize lately, as well as a clean sweep? Possibly high fragmentation and cluttered HDD is compounding this problem you're having. If you haven't downloaded any apps for this, I use Ccleaner (great for sweeping junk + cleaning the registry) and Auslogics Disk Defrag.
November 2, 2010 4:25:57 PM

now then you mention it, i do not remmember defraging it for 2 or 3 months, but it was reformated a month ago.
November 30, 2010 3:14:41 AM

wolfram23 said:
4GB should be enough, but if you have a lot of multitasking going on it can get eaten up pretty quick. Things like a bit torrent (Vuse) and a web browser with a few tabs open is going to be near 1GB taken up right there.

HDDs are always a bottleneck.


But how do you explain my situation, i'm using latest of almost everything from Alienware M15X.
Specs as shown below.
Intel® Core? i7-940XM Processor (2.13GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 3.33Ghz, 8M
cache)
8GB (4GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
640GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
but still im facing fps drop?
Please help!
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2010 6:27:28 PM

ec_wj said:
But how do you explain my situation, i'm using latest of almost everything from Alienware M15X.
Specs as shown below.
Intel® Core? i7-940XM Processor (2.13GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 3.33Ghz, 8M
cache)
8GB (4GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
640GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)
but still im facing fps drop?
Please help!


Need more info like what games you're seeing this happen, what settings you're using.

Also, you should just start a new thread about it.
November 30, 2010 6:45:19 PM

Hi,

I already started a new thread for it but apparently there wasnt any replies yet & i cant wait. I'm not even setting the game to the super high quality yet. It's only at high quality. I'm playing League of legends whenever this problem occur. I did have some lag in DotA as well, as it did not show fps in DotA, i can sense it's the same problem as when i'm playing League of legends.

I had already asked Dell to replace my whole alienware system. from a i7-840 quad mode processor to EXTREME i7940. and for graphic card from gtx 260m to gtx460m. and all along i had 8gb of rams. but apparently this problems still occur for both laptops i'm having. even my friend 3-4 yrs comp is not having such issue while playing League of legend. I'm puzzled why is mine having so much problems.
November 30, 2010 6:50:22 PM

anyway one thing that i think it might be is whether there's any link with the screen size of my laptop. whether is it because its 1920 X 1080 screen size that is giving the graphic card more workload and therefore there's this fps drop? and everytime the fps drop doesnt last more than 2-3 sec. this is my conclusion because, dell tried replacing graphic card, heat sink & fans for me but it did not solve the problem therefore i came up with this conclusion. and lastly they even replaced my processor, as we could not think of any other parts that are causing the problem. intially i wanted them to tried replacing the motherboard, but they suggest that they had my whole system replaced, therefore i went ahead with all the upgrade, but apparently the upgrade did not help much or at all.
November 30, 2010 6:53:54 PM

My last conclusion, is it because of the way the motherboard is organise that is causing such problem? This is definitely way out of the usual judgement but apparently i can't think of any other solutions that enable me to solve this stupid fps drop problems, and its irritating. would love to hear your advices.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2010 1:38:16 PM

Probably video card, then. A 460M is decent, but not amazing. I have never played League of Legends so I don't know what sort of requirements it has.

You could try downloading a trial of FRAPS to see what your FPS are in the game. Maybe the framerate is only 20-30fps so dropping down to 5-10fps wouldn't be abnormal. If you're actually at 40-50fps and it drops down to 5-10 then there might be other issues.

1920x1080 is definitely going to stress a 460M out...
December 1, 2010 7:19:52 PM

yea i think it's most likely to do with the video card.. but i already upgrade from 260m to 460m i thought it would be more than enough, and i had 1.5gb delicated memory. actually its from 60-64 to 10-15... thats why i'm thinking what are the problems.. if 1920x1080 is going to stress out 460m then i dont know why alienware is providing such a weak video card for its m15x >_<!
PS: but this problem only occur occasionally and not always, but its still bothering me. hope to find a solution for it.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2010 9:49:48 PM

Laptop video cards are all much weaker than their desktop counterpart. I'm gaming at 1920x1080, and a single 5850 was fine except in demanding games like crysis and metro 2033. Most laptops have much lower resolutions, like 1280x720 and such which these mobile GPUs are fine with.
December 2, 2010 7:30:48 AM

but this few days, i'm having lesser and lesser fps drop. only seldom now though. i should have went to bought the m17x instead, since there's sli technology, and we are able to fix in 2 video cards, i think that will be better right? so i wonder is there any solution to solve the problem? maybe i should lower the graphic settling in the game?
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 1:22:53 AM

tom's just did an article on the sli 460m set up. I didn't read it but you should.

Lowering graphics settings is usually the first step in figuring out if it's a simple graphics card not being powerful enough issue...
!