Sign in with
Your question

Choosing CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2010 2:30:44 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm building a new PC and i'v spend a lot of time reading forums on CPU's. My two options are the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz and the Intel i5 650 Dual-Core 3.2GHz. I know they are 2 different CPU's but they cost the same. Some say the AMD and some the Intel. I'm gonna use a Radeon HD6870. Don't want to upgrade my CPU for the next 2years or so and looking to by another GPU at the end of next year to Crossfire. WHAT CPU SHOULD I CHOOSE?? plz help (NO FANBOYS).

More about : choosing cpu

a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
October 29, 2010 2:55:06 PM

Overall the X4 is the better especially when it comes to applications that can utilize more than two cores and multitasking.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 2:57:05 PM

^ Yeah it's close enough in single threaded apps, and the multi core is much better.
October 29, 2010 3:08:18 PM

I'm using two 5870's and an AMD Phenom II x4 965 and everything runs beautifully. The 965 has plenty of room to OC too. I run mine between 3.7 and 3.8 while I'm gaming but I've had it up to 4.0 running benchmarks. I've never paid money myself for an Intel chip but I'm not going to say that Intel doesn't know what they're doing because we all know they are great chips but AMD has never let me down and for AMD prices and AMD performance, you can't beat it.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2010 3:14:00 PM

To anticipate future games which will utilize more than 2 cores, go with the Quad-core, regardless of the brand.

I personally use AMD Athlon II X2 myself, but don't let that bother you. :lol: 
October 29, 2010 3:41:48 PM

I have an athlon x6 as I simply do way too much multitasking and couldn't deal with a dual core anymore, if you're talking 2 more years there are enough games coded for more cores that'll it be worth it as well as being able to segment things across multiple cores. Or just more overall power/cores for multitasking. I've set the affinity to use 4 of my cores on one game 2 for another and notice good performance upgrades over letting windows decide.

Personally on GPU's I like to buy a new one every 9-18 months and go lower end around $200 versus ever going SLI/Crossfire it's just going to be cheaper and upgrading more often with newer tech/generation cards you'll have similar performance in the long run as if you'd SLI/crossfire up and sit with it for a few years.

If you literally do no multitasking then feel free to sit with a dual-core.

I'd say go for the X4 but that's me.
November 1, 2010 10:33:34 AM

Thanx alot for all your help. I'm gonna go with the AMD. I'm going to use the computer mainly for gaming. Any suggestions for a motherboard to go with the AMD?
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2010 2:23:24 PM

If it's AMD and for crossfiring, the 890FX chipset motherboard is the best performing option. As for brand, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are the most recommended ones. Although I use Biostar instead :p  , but for the safe side, take the recommendation.
November 1, 2010 5:01:33 PM

Okay kwl. haha yes, Biostar is the best. tanx again.
!